How to remap the 1290

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
abc
Stunt rider

How to remap the 1290

Postby abc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Does anyone know what the proceedures will be to remap the new 1290sdr. Another member kindly informed me that TuneECU probably wont work because the 990's use K-line and the 1290's use CANBUS.
Now I dont really know exactly what that means, all I know is that as I modify the 1290 I will reach a point where it will be benificial to have it remapped. I have herd a rumour that if you buy a full akro system you will have to remap the bike to suit, does Akro provide this map with their complete evolution exhaust and is it likely that other exhaust manufacturers (AR for example) will provide maps with their systems?
What has been the norm in the past when buying a complete performance exhaust system for other big KTM models? Is remap on a Dyno the usual solution for hotrod KTM owners?
If tuneECU is not useful does anyone know the likely steps involved in remapping the 1290.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by abc on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Don
Two wheeled terror

Re: How to remapping the 1290

Postby Don » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 pm

We are all waiting to see what AR do, stay tuned to their thread.

ktm08
Two wheeled terror

Re: How to remap the 1290

Postby ktm08 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:26 am

Akra provide the map with their complete evolution exhaust, but you must buy it from KTM dealer.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:36 am

Tuneecu works on the RC8 which has a similar engine to the new SDR and uses canbus also. Since KTM does flash the map to the ecu when the Akra map will be available it is possible it will work.
However no one except KTM knows at the moment what type of ecu (we know the brand from the spec sheet) the new bike uses and if it will be compatible with Tuneecu.
The new bike has a lot more stuff on it compared to the RC8 so time will tell. Someone Will figure it out eventually when more bikes have been delivered.
Till then, patience is your friend.
All good and bad things considered the fact that I will not or will be able to modify the map would not influence my decision to buy one as I am sure the bike is plenty good out of the box from the reviews from the press or people who got one.
It is more the rediculous delivery time and price I'm worried about
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

The 1290 has a 5-wire connection to the diagnostic plug which I have been informed indicates that it will not talk to tuneECU. This means we have to wait (or write) software capable of mapping the stock ECU.

Outside of dealer tweaks or manufacturer supplied maps (as come with the full Akra system), I suspect we'll end up having to use power commanders to control fuelling. Unless KTM releases the source of their ECU programs!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for the info. I am now starting to understand the dilemma and as has been stated i will have to be patient. I guess if I do build a complete exhaust I will just keep the stock map or investigate the power commander. Hopefully by then more info and options will be available.
I too have concerns, especially the delivery issues. I have missed the first shipment into Australia and have to wait for the next lot to arrive and NOBODY can tell me when that is likely to be :evil:
I have never before herd of such a mysterious shipment and delivery process from a global manufacturer :?
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Has anyone contacted the boys at TuneECU yet to see what they think??
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Has anyone contacted the boys at TuneECU yet to see what they think??

Yes, I emailed them. First reply was that it won't work add it is just now, I've asked if he'll consider working on updating it to work (not straightforward), but no reply as yet. Will share whatever I learn or figure out for myself.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:46 am

Neo from Austin Racing said that a remap will not be required with any of the slip ons. I spose like anything new it will take some time to results, plenty of guys here like to tinker around.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

jmann

Postby jmann » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 am

scamb66 wrote:Neo from Austin Racing said that a remap will not be required with any of the slip ons. I spose like anything new it will take some time to results, plenty of guys here like to tinker around.

Can't see how that could work. What are they going to do put a washer in there so it has the same restrictions as a catted system and thus
the same gas flow. That'd be a bit dopey. :?

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:13 am

jmann wrote:
scamb66 wrote:Neo from Austin Racing said that a remap will not be required with any of the slip ons. I spose like anything new it will take some time to results, plenty of guys here like to tinker around.

Can't see how that could work. What are they going to do put a washer in there so it has the same restrictions as a catted system and thus
the same gas flow. That'd be a bit dopey. :?

Sorry I misquoted Neo.

neo wrote:[A single exit for the 990 is a future possibility, lets get the 1290 finished and then we can look at it.

We will offer a simple slip on to replace the stock can, this will work with rear pegs. The GP1 system is unlikely to allow rear peg use but we will see.

We don't know if a re map will be required or not until we dyno test. :?
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm mucking about with trying to get a cable made up suitable to allow my ODBII software (which speaks canbus) to talk to the bike, once I have that I'll see what it can access and hopefully be able to get a first step towards gathering the info required to write software capable of mapping the bike.

Don't expect anything any time soon though, this is more me fiddling around experimenting than knowing what I'm doing...

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:46 am

DMacL wrote:I'm mucking about with trying to get a cable made up suitable to allow my ODBII software (which speaks canbus) to talk to the bike, once I have that I'll see what it can access and hopefully be able to get a first step towards gathering the info required to write software capable of mapping the bike.

Don't expect anything any time soon though, this is more me fiddling around experimenting than knowing what I'm doing...

Possibly the same as tuneecu cable as it is ODBII based. Just might need another adaptor depending on the plug on the bike.
Have a look at the tuneecu site for more info. if it is the same some SD owner in your area might have one.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

ktmguy wrote:Possibly the same as tuneecu cable as it is ODBII based. Just might need another adaptor depending on the plug on the bike.
Have a look at the tuneecu site for more info. if it is the same some SD owner in your area might have one.

Been through that already. The bikes that TuneEcu works with are K-line. The 1290 is CANBUS which is a different protocol and requires different wiring despite being the same connectors.

Basically the 1290's electronics talk to eachother in a different language to other KTMs.

jmann

Postby jmann » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi DmacL.

Could you post the details of the ECU (name, Model Etc. I assume it's a Keihin) and maybe some of us could also do some research.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am

As the sticker is on the ECU:

Code: Select all
631E-197A-0B0                    KEIHIN
3X14-513735                      V2I003
613.41.031.000                Made in UK

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 am

These cables work with CAN no problems. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 94729.html Release 12.12 can be used with a HEX-, KEY-, KII-, or Micro-CAN "high-tech" Interface, we just need the software to drive it.

I can give you the CAN pin locations for this cable if needed.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:34 am

I have USB to ODBII already. I need ODBII to 6-pin Sumituomo type as used for the diagnostic connector. Got a female ODBII with tail coming, will get the 6-pin from the bike breakers hopefully.

VAGCOM software (which I have) will list out all the modules that will talk to it on the canbus, and should be able to access their memory contents I think.

Bert

Postby Bert » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:22 pm

DMacL wrote:I have USB to ODBII already. I need ODBII to 6-pin Sumituomo type as used for the diagnostic connector. Got a female ODBII with tail coming, will get the 6-pin from the bike breakers hopefully.
[...]

or get it here: http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=230
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Long shipping from the states and I'm impatient - will order if the breaker's has none.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 pm

DMacL wrote:
ktmguy wrote:Possibly the same as tuneecu cable as it is ODBII based. Just might need another adaptor depending on the plug on the bike.

Been through that already. The bikes that TuneEcu works with are K-line. The 1290 is CANBUS which is a different protocol and requires different wiring despite being the same connectors.

Basically the 1290's electronics talk to eachother in a different language to other KTMs.

In my opinion you are on the wrong foot. Canbus is the way the ecu talks to other sensors and electronics on the bike, nothing to do with the interface to the diagnostic computer or laptop.
The cable for tuneecu talks ODBII same as for triumph, audi, VW, KTM RC8R and SD.
All you need is a different adaptor from the big ODBII plug to the plug on the bike. I also guess it is the same plug on the bike as the SD with the exception that there are more wires connected, probably 4 including the L line that the SD doesn't have.
A pic of the connector would be helpful.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 am

It's that adaptor that I'm currently waiting for parts for, and trying to determine the wiring for. I know that USB to ODBII works with all protocols. And the protocol affects the wiring of the adaptor, which is why I want to work out which one it is.

This is what I've discovered/learned so far - as always I'm happy to be corrected, especially if it saves me working on dead ends, or using incorrect terminology!

Wikipedia wrote:There are five signaling protocols (for ODBII)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_d ... _protocols

Therefore we know there are differences between ODBII connections. The main connector can deal with all 5, but KTM use a 6-pin connector which can only deal with one or possibly two combinations.

The 990 et al have a 3-wire connection to the 6-pin connector, This I believe is ISO 9141-2 or ISO 14230.

The 1290 has 5 wires going to the same 6-pin connector, which I reckon will be CAN high/low, battery +/-, and possibly K-line or an ignition switched live. Therefore it'll probably be ISO 15765 (CAN) (or a combination with ISO 9141-2 or ISO 14230). Unlikely to be J1850, but that's possible too.

Please correct this if you have any more info.

Obviously I don't want to just plug things in in case something gets fried, I'd rather work through it and research till I'm happy I know what connects to what, and what each thing is for.

I'm off to the dealer today to drop her off for first service so I'll chat them up and see what they can tell me. A wiring diagram will help massively, and anything else is a bonus.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 am

Someone on similar quest here:
http://ecuhacking.activeboard.com/t49773328/interfacing-to-ktm-keihin-ecu-canbus/
For the 5 wires my guess would be the L-line and and battery voltage extra to the SD. Logic dictates (not always correct!) that KTM and Keihin want to avoid anyone flashing the ecu and due to low bat voltage the process stops midway and bricks the ECU. like I said could be wrong as it is to manufacturer discretion to use free pins for whatever they like.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Thought I'd keep posting here to keep info in the same thread.

Got all the components to make a cable, breakers charged me two whole quid for a wired 6-pin connector. Just have to work out which wire does what now. Pin numbers are my own designation so may not meet with other diagrams.

This is the wiring going to the diagnostic connector on the bike.

1. white with blue stripe - 2.6-2.7V with ignition on, 60ohms to 2.
2. black - 2.6-2.7V with ignition on, 60ohms to 1.
3. Green with red stripe - appears to be ignition switched live
4. Brown - battery negative.
5. empty
6. light blue. 12V when engine on; 10.2V when engine off but ign on.

I suspect, and want to thing, that 1&2 are CAN high / CAN low and 6 is can GND or K-line to allow older diagnostic equipment to work.

Can anyone offer any info on KTM wiring colours, and ways to determine what 1, 2 and 6 should be connected to in an ODBII connector? I'm reasonably confident that KTM will have used a recognised protocol from the list in a previous post in this thread.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:57 am

Looks like the 2013 Adventure diagnostic connector is pined differently. X295 is the diag plug

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]