How to remap the 1290

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
djulle
Minimoto racer

Re: How to remap the 1290

Postby djulle » Tue May 06, 2014 6:05 pm

You just loaded the akra map or did you also change the air filter?

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Tue May 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Just the map so far.
Works well.

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:59 am

Comrades: I've managed to start logging the Can messages but nothing too exciting yet. If anyone wants copies of the logs I'm happy to provide them for non-commercial purposes - PM me. I'll only take the trouble to provide them to people that I consider to be genuine Helpers on this forum eg No Leechers.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm

jmann wrote:Comrades: I've managed to start logging the Can messages but nothing too exciting yet. If anyone wants copies of the logs I'm happy to provide them for non-commercial purposes - PM me. I'll only take the trouble to provide them to people that I consider to be genuine Helpers on this forum eg No Leechers.

great work comrade!
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Can you turn that darn weelie control off yet!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 pm

jmann wrote:Comrades: I've managed to start logging the Can messages but nothing too exciting yet. If anyone wants copies of the logs I'm happy to provide them for non-commercial purposes - PM me. I'll only take the trouble to provide them to people that I consider to be genuine Helpers on this forum eg No Leechers.

Great Job!
Do you log inputs you change against the data? e.g. move throttle log shows this ...
I heard the item to log is when the dealer logs in with his diagnostic tool and loads a map. But you need a hidden logger on the bike for that, or a friendly dealer.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 am

ktmguy wrote:

Great Job!
Do you log inputs you change against the data? e.g. move throttle log shows this ...
I heard the item to log is when the dealer logs in with his diagnostic tool and loads a map. But you need a hidden logger on the bike for that, or a friendly dealer.

Comrade Guy: Good to see you are also thinking about this.
What I have done so far is to use a standard logging program producing csv's. I have then written a program that allows me to replay the log files so I can see animated messages on a static screen. That program also summarises the PID's and allows one to drill down onto a specific ID and look at the logs. It removes 0x00 so things are not cluttered. It also identifies new ID's that it hasn't seen before. I'm about to change the program so that it will log data itself and allow one to type in an event flag so that events are flagged against the timer field. It's all a work in progress and a bit rough so no complaints.

You are absolutely correct about a friendly dealer and the use of the Diagnostic Tool. To such ends I have made a Y shaped cable that is capable of plugging in the Diagnostic Tool and recording what happens. I have been casually searching the net for a small cheap Can logging device preferably with a SD card. If you know of any flick me a URL. Now who knows a friendly dealer?

Here's some screenshots:

PID's seen:

This panel plays the messages as they appeared:

The raw messages in time order (with the zero's removed):

A specific PID (17C) in time order (with zero's removed):

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:03 am

jmann wrote:Comrade Guy: Good to see you are also thinking about this.
What I have done so far is to use a standard logging program producing csv's. I have then written a program that allows me to replay the log files so I can see animated messages on a static screen. That program also summarises the PID's and allows one to drill down onto a specific ID and look at the logs. It removes 0x00 so things are not cluttered. It also identifies new ID's that it hasn't seen before. I'm about to change the program so that it will log data itself and allow one to type in an event flag so that events are flagged against the timer field. It's all a work in progress and a bit rough so no complaints.

You are absolutely correct about a friendly dealer and the use of the Diagnostic Tool. To such ends I have made a Y shaped cable that is capable of plugging in the Diagnostic Tool and recording what happens. I have been casually searching the net for a small cheap Can logging device preferably with a SD card. If you know of any flick me a URL. Now who knows a friendly dealer?

Seems to be that the trick is to initiate parts of the vehicle while logging. Like spinning the front wheel, rear wheel, throttle, brake, and so on to see which address and date change correspondent with that input.
All parts of the circuit transmit on canbus, only the recipient "interested" uses the data.
What we obviously are interested in, is to send a map to the keihin ecu and change parameters regarding the ABS and TC in the main ECU. For this we need to get access so we can reprogram this.
From documents on the net the dealers diagnostic-programming tool sends a request to log on the bus and the ecu responds with a seed, which it then responds to with a code. This can be static (all the same) or dynamic (changes all the time) depending how paranoid the programmer (KTM) is about the software. To get anywhere we need to find out what is what, or even if there is another way to load a map in the Keihin ECU like off the bike.
Anyway finding out what does what and the kind of data it transmit is a good start.

For a logger anything running linux seems to do as it seems to have native canbus support.
Great article here: http://fabiobaltieri.com/2013/07/23/hacking-into-a-vehicle-can-bus-toyothack-and-socketcan/
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:15 am

Thanks Comrade Guy. Yes, I'd read the article a while back and it might be good for somebody starting to try to get a logging system up and running. Personally I hate Windows but have gone down that track because if I ever crack this it will be easiest for the majority to have a windows program to load maps. If Alain an Co develop one in the interim that is great I'll just stop.

What I'm really after is a cheap dedicated mobile can monitor like this to have semi-permanently on the bike in a inconspicuous location.
http://store.neweagle.net/new-eagle-can ... o-8gb.html
this one does not say what the price is.

I think you misunderstand my intentions. I have one and only one objective which is to remap the FI system and change any values associated with it. Identifying anything else is merely a mechanism of eliminating extraneous information. You are quite correct in your suggestion to spin the wheels Etc. Currently, the neighbours think I'm a bit weird riding round the block with my Mac in a backpack :shock: The good thing is that it is a SSD MacBook Pro so no moving parts. :D A dedicated logger would be better.

With respect to the password challenge you are probably right however password protecting systems is something that has been introduced over time. Clearly, the 990's didn't have it. A further challenge for us all is that the 1290/1190's and possibly the 690's are using both unknown process ID's and unknown handshaking or protocols as they are referred to in the Can field.
You refer to documents available on the net regarding how the Diagnostic Tool works. Can you send me a URL as I haven't seen this. Cheers

PS If you go back to to the MCN spy photos you can see the data logger on the back of the bike. Presumably they were just monitoring that everything was ok rather than changing things on the fly.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 am

jmann wrote:What I'm really after is a cheap dedicated mobile can monitor like this to have semi-permanently on the bike in a inconspicuous location.
http://store.neweagle.net/new-eagle-can ... o-8gb.html
this one does not say what the price is.

http://hemdata.com/
http://www.adfweb.com/Home/products/CAN_BUS_analyzers.asp

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am

Comrade Guy: The Eagle was $US350 the Hemdata was $US1,450 so not cheap :?

The adfweb analyzer (Euro295) does nothing more in real terms than the software I have already written. It is Ok if OBD2 or some other published protocol is used but when operating blind it can't really do much more than you see in my screen pics above. :cry:

So, still on the lookout for a mini Can monitor/storage device or data logger as they are called ...

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:50 am

More in our price range then...
http://www.easy-motorcycle.com/can-bus-scanner-c-7_24.html?zenid=obp0m7f65a0u0k4hv3e0viive0
Don't have much time to do research at the moment so I might come up with the wrong stuff

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:28 am

Comrades: Nah we're going to have to synchronise here. I can scan Ok and I can analyse ok. Scanning is not the problem. As Guy has identified the real key might be to find a friendly dealer that can check a bike and take a coffee break. Have gun will travel. Anyone in UK or Europe as well?

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 am

jmann wrote:Comrades: Nah we're going to have to synchronise here. I can scan Ok and I can analyse ok. Scanning is not the problem. As Guy has identified the real key might be to find a friendly dealer that can check a bike and take a coffee break. Have gun will travel. Anyone in UK or Europe as well?

I'm willing to try it with my dealer; but no plans to go there until later in the year. They're 80 miles from me.

Have you tried contacting user "sexparty"? From his posts I think he works in a KTM dealers somewhere in Oz.

If you find yourself drowning in log files feel free to send some my way, I can make the time to sort through some.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am

Geeees I wish you guys would speak english - thank god for nuts and bolts I say.
I wish you all good luck, you never know one of these days you might just crack it and make some sense of all that gobbledeegook :?
I hope so because it will help us all in the pursuit of power :wink:
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:42 am

jmann wrote:Comrades: Nah we're going to have to synchronise here. I can scan Ok and I can analyse ok. Scanning is not the problem. As Guy has identified the real key might be to find a friendly dealer that can check a bike and take a coffee break. Have gun will travel. Anyone in UK or Europe as well?

Found a few good scanners some with options. (no stand alone loggers)
Don't know if you speak/read any German. This one can have some open source visualization software.
http://www.mhs-elektronik.de/index.php?module=content&action=show&page=shop_overview
http://www.mhs-elektronik.de/index.php?module=content&action=show&page=tinycan_view
Don't mind taking the step if it takes us somewhere.

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:42 am

abc wrote:Geeees I wish you guys would speak english - thank god for nuts and bolts I say.
I wish you all good luck, you never know one of these days you might just crack it and make some sense of all that gobbledeegook :?
I hope so because it will help us all in the pursuit of power :wink:

Comrade Abc: You are right and I get what you are saying. The reality is however, that pissing around with this stuff is so much fun 8) It is nearly as much fun as screw cutting on the lathe or TIG welding. On the other hand, pure Mathematics and Poetry are also a lot of fun. Nuts and bolts and the other stuff are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps the most fun is getting on the track and winding it up and cranking it over to the point where one thinks ... Holy Shit !!!

So much fun to be had and so little time ... In fact, this (new gear gear lever) has been sitting in my lathe for at least two weeks:

Sometimes I think of Dr F, BigTobyD, Nick Blance, SIC Etc. ... I'm lucky, I can go for it :D

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:54 am

So, as far as I know there have not been any additions to the world of 1290 SDR electro-fiddling other than the PCV and maybe some Bazazz? True?
TuneEcu and Rexxer seem to have nothing, according to their websites anyway.
Anyone know of anything else? Rumors?
After going thru hell with my local dealer just to get an adaptive parameter reset done, I'm really wanting Diagnostic Tool type access ASAP.
2014 1290 81K miles

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

REDTALE2000 wrote:So, as far as I know there have not been any additions to the world of 1290 SDR electro-fiddling other than the PCV and maybe some Bazazz? True?
TuneEcu and Rexxer seem to have nothing, according to their websites anyway.
Anyone know of anything else? Rumors?
After going thru hell with my local dealer just to get an adaptive parameter reset done, I'm really wanting Diagnostic Tool type access ASAP.

Yes correct, PCV or Bazzaz.

A few people where working on it but nothing so far. I gave up as people where going to share information but nothing.

bick51

Postby bick51 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:28 am

Did you have any more success reading the KTM CAN bus?

I've been trying to access the 1190 R Adventure bus. As you know, the 1190 Adventure and 1290 Adventure dropped the K line found on the 990, and the 1190 RC8, which had both both K and Can bus.

Thinking of buying the CAN bus kit from Jack Rickard at EVtv - who successfully cracked the Tesla drive train. $149
http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?pro ... oduecanbus

jmann

Postby jmann » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:00 am

Comrade: It's no problem reading the bus. The problem is decoding the map files and messages to load the maps. My memory is that there is a company here in Perth Australia that claims they've done it.

http://ecuwest.com.au/ktm-1190-1290-adv ... remapping/

Jwasot

Postby Jwasot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I have got into the ECU i also have a tuning map. I am trying to firstly develop my ecu knowledge and also the Ktm superduke especially the GT.

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 am

Jwasot wrote:I have got into the ECU i also have a tuning map. I am trying to firstly develop my ecu knowledge and also the Ktm superduke especially the GT.

That's great comrade :D
How about you tell us a little about what you've done and what you've found. Keep up the good work.

Previous

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]