Carbon Fibre SAS Plates

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
abc
Stunt rider

Carbon Fibre SAS Plates

Postby abc » Sun May 11, 2014 6:04 am

Well lookie here :mrgreen:

To do this you need these

And of course some very sharp cutters that will need resharpening once you have finished machining the carbon fibre. :(

The Stainless Steel shim protects the Carbon Fibre from the heat. I wonder if I am the first to do this because you cant buy these anywhere :P
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

sexparty
Two wheeled terror

Re: Carbon Fibre SAS Plates

Postby sexparty » Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 am

Looks neat.

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Any issues with leaking?

Can't believe I'm about to say this about CF, but I'm on the fence. :-/ Did you make the discs or buy? I wouldn't mind some for various other projects.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 am

I cant believe I'm about to say this but "the carbon fibre was in one of my trays of goodies" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No leaks because at 2mm thick the carbon has plenty of regidity and the shim prevents any errosion of the surface. It only has to compress the small section O ring so its all good.

Being less than 1/10th the weight of the alloy SAS plates got me off the fence and I guess I did it because I had the stuff lying around and I could make something out of it :shock:
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 am

The weight loss has me intrigued lol!

I can definitely say I've never seen it done before and that's something that's not easy to do these day. 8)
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]