Race windshield?

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
robertkehl
Stunt rider

Re: Race windshield?

Postby robertkehl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 am

The more screens I see the more I understand why Ktm ditched the o.e.m. I think I'll will keep her naked.
The 1290 is what the 990 was suppose to be.

I ride Ktm Motorcycles, yep :-)

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 am

robby-hk wrote:Hi Folks,

(apologies for the absence, I've been (a) jungle motocross touring across Cambodia, where there's actually no internet and (b) skiing in Japan until just now. Also buried under catch-up work on my return, sorry.

Do you guys still want this screen :

Greece - 1 (Leonidas)
Sweden - 1 (Shootaz)
Belgium - 1 (Dolores)
Netherlands - 1(prikkie)
UK - 2 (Zei 220, iannowi,
USA - 4 (wmcbride, max78)
Aus - 3 (hyperbob, 1290Nerd, Don)
Finland - 1 (SDR 1290)
Total 14 units

Or not ? Please confirm.

If the numbers are high enough I'd imagine the vendor could sort his sh*t out enough to (a) start a paypal account and (b) locate the international counter at the post office. How hard can it be ?

Separately today on behalf of Mark, I've sent a query off to Yoyo to enquire about these ones : http://www.rlyoyo.co.jp/parts/ktm-1290- ... uke-r.html

Will let you know the answer when it comes in.

Again sorry for the delay. I drink a lot.

Cheers

Robert

BrandonH and I (USA) got ours from Steve supply already!

Dolores
Minimoto racer

Postby Dolores » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Folks,

(apologies for the absence, I've been (a) jungle motocross touring across Cambodia, where there's actually no internet and (b) skiing in Japan until just now. Also buried under catch-up work on my return, sorry.

Greece - 1 (Leonidas)
Sweden - 1 (Shootaz)
Belgium - 1 (Dolores)
Netherlands - 1(prikkie)
USA - 4 (wmcbride, max78, Sully, BrandonH)
Finland - 1 (SDR 1290)
Total 14 units

Or not ? Please confirm.

If the numbers are high enough I'd imagine the vendor could sort his sh*t out enough to (a) start a paypal account and (b) locate the international counter at the post office. How hard can it be ?

Separately today on behalf of Mark, I've sent a query off to Yoyo to enquire about these ones : http://www.rlyoyo.co.jp/parts/ktm-1290- ... uke-r.html

Cheers

Robert

No thanks,
Belgium - 1 (Dolores) --> -1

alobar
Two wheeled terror

Postby alobar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:13 am

As i read in a previous page, the cost is about 130$, right?

Can we know how much are the shipping costs ?

And another question, I want a screen just to protect the dash from insects and rain, do you think that this screen is going to do that job?

thank you.

Max78
Minimoto racer

Postby Max78 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm Out.
Greece - 1 (Leonidas)
Sweden - 1 (Shootaz)
Belgium - 1 (Dolores)
Netherlands - 1(prikkie)
USA - 4 (wmcbride, Sully, BrandonH)
Finland - 1 (SDR 1290)
Total: 13 units

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 pm

alobar wrote:As i read in a previous page, the cost is about 130$, right?

Can we know how much are the shipping costs ?

And another question, I want a screen just to protect the dash from insects and rain, do you think that this screen is going to do that job?

thank you.

Steve Supply said they will not do international shipping, I had to ship to an address in Japan, then ship again to me in LA. total shipping cost was about $40.

alobar
Two wheeled terror

Postby alobar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:20 pm

thanks for the info!

wmcbride
Minimoto racer

Postby wmcbride » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Still in, thanks!

wmcbride
Minimoto racer

Postby wmcbride » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Sully,

Any idea if this screen works with the bars in their more forward mounting position.

Thanks much!

Sully wrote:
robby-hk wrote:Hi Folks,

Greece - 1 (Leonidas)
Sweden - 1 (Shootaz)
Belgium - 1 (Dolores)
Netherlands - 1(prikkie)
USA - 4 (wmcbride, max78)
Finland - 1 (SDR 1290)
Total 14 units

Or not ? Please confirm.

Cheers

Robert

BrandonH and I (USA) got ours from Steve supply already!

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 pm

I haven't tried it. But it should work fine with the bars in the forward position

wmcbride wrote:Sully,

Any idea if this screen works with the bars in their more forward mounting position.

Thanks much!

Last edited by Sully on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:20 am

Sully wrote:I haven't tried it. But it should work fine with the bars in the forward position

You know, you can edit the stuff in between the quote tags such that you're not posting obnoxiously long posts repeating images when it's not necessary....

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:58 am

OK, I quickly fabricated a prototype yesterday and took it for a spin today.
It was an idea and I wanted to see what it does to the aerodynamics and the wind blast on the helmet before going in to finishing of shape and form.
The bracket needs improving too.

All I can say that it greatly improves the wind blast and noise on the helmet. It definitively is easier on the neck muscles and to deflect the wind it is all that is needed in my opinion.
I'm 182cm tall (which is about 6 foot I believe) and it worked really well.
It's made out of aluminium as I had that lying around and is easy to work with.
What I want to know is: Can anyone makes this in a plastic or preferably in carbon fibre?
Any suggestion as in should it be bigger, different shape and so on?
Was thinking on fitting an inverted triangle at the bottom so it looks more like the 690 screen
Also you like it or not?
As I said, it's a prototype so any suggestions welcome!

If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:34 pm

DMacL wrote:You know, you can edit the stuff in between the quote tags such that you're not posting obnoxiously long posts repeating images when it's not necessary....

Not nearly as easy when replying from a cell phone, which was the case here.

PS i know how forums work, sorry you had to look at 5 pictures twice, wasn't my intention to ruin your day. Someone needs a hug.

wmcbride
Minimoto racer

Postby wmcbride » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:07 am

Good point,

It was neither easy to edit nor slow to load for me. I am really lucky.

Probably not true for all, won't be selfish next time. Thanks dmacl.

DMacL wrote:
Sully wrote:I haven't tried it. But it should work fine with the bars in the forward position

You know, you can edit the stuff....

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Sully wrote:Bracket dims

I just received the little windscreen from KTM and now will fab up the parts to mount it. How do the windscreen pedestals bolt in? Looks like the bolts are loose in the pedestals? How do you get to them? I assume they thread into the turn signal mounts?

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Sully wrote:Its official, the Steve supply screen is the KTM 690 PP Screen, the Bracket is all Steve supply make

This is the picture I was after. No problem with the fab. Just not sure how the pedestal bolts to the bike?

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm

vet57air wrote:This is the picture I was after. No problem with the fab. Just not sure how the pedestal bolts to the bike?

The black plastic piece that covers the blinker mounts is held on with 2 Torx bolts, this mounting area is deep down in the
area just below the bottom of the clocks.

Remove the 2 Torx bolts, leave the cover in place. Place the pedestal there
The Mount i bought came with 2 Hex head bolts that are a couple mm longer than the factory Torx bolts .
Depending on the thickness of you're material you use, the stock Torx bolts might still work.
The Hex bolts are only a few mm longer.

The screen mounts are the standard rubber screen mounts on pretty much every bike with a screen.

bodypilot
Minimoto racer

Postby bodypilot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Does anyone have a ride report for this screen? Does it reduce the wind blast? I read on Facebook someone saying that they felt it did the opposite!!
too much too list anymore

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:51 pm

bodypilot wrote:Does anyone have a ride report for this screen? Does it reduce the wind blast? I read on Facebook someone saying that they felt it did the opposite!!

Did not reduce wind blast for me, Possibly makes it worse just above the ignition where i tuck in at high speed.

I'm 5'9", my friend Brandon is 6'6" he says it does wonders for wind blast and loves his.

Mine is on the bench in the shop right now, as i'm not sure i love it yet.

Haven't decided to sell it, I'm gonna make it so it can be removed and installed easily to do back to back testing. Thinking some Dzus fasteners will work.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Sully wrote:
vet57air wrote:This is the picture I was after. No problem with the fab. Just not sure how the pedestal bolts to the bike?

The black plastic piece that covers the blinker mounts is held on with 2 Torx bolts, this mounting area is deep down in the

The Mount i bought came with 2 Hex head bolts that are a couple mm longer than the factory Torx bolts .
Depending on the thickness of you're material you use, the stock Torx bolts might still work.

The screen mounts are the standard rubber screen mounts on pretty much every bike with a screen.

Thx for your reply. In the picture of the mount I see the bolt threads at the end of the pedestals that attach to the blinker mounts. I'm not very bright and I don't see how you would access the bolt heads? Looks like the bolt heads are hidden in the pedestals?

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 pm

vet57air wrote:
Sully wrote:

Thx for your reply. In the picture of the mount I see the bolt threads at the end of the pedestals that attach to the blinker mounts. I'm not very bright and I don't see how you would access the bolt heads? Looks like the bolt heads are hidden in the pedestals?

Long hex t handle worked perfect i believe its 3mm, the long tubes that come out from the blinker mount are hollow and fully open at the front end, t handle goes there.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:21 pm

How are the tubes attached to the rest of the bracket? Bolted, welded?

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:48 pm

vet57air wrote:How are the tubes attached to the rest of the bracket? Bolted, welded?

All welded together

Dogmeat
Minimoto racer

Postby Dogmeat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:29 am

Sully wrote:
bodypilot wrote:Does anyone have a ride report for this screen? Does it reduce the wind blast? I read on Facebook someone saying that they felt it did the opposite!!

Did not reduce wind blast for me, Possibly makes it worse just above the ignition where i tuck in at high speed.

I'm 5'9", my friend Brandon is 6'6" he says it does wonders for wind blast and loves his.

Mine is on the bench in the shop right now, as i'm not sure i love it yet.

Haven't decided to sell it, I'm gonna make it so it can be removed and installed easily to do back to back testing. Thinking some Dzus fasteners will work.

This really has me thinking about this.

I'm 6'3" and really wanted something I could use the factory KTM GPS mount with. If this offers enough wind deflection for a taller-ish rider, than that would definatley be the best route to go.

Any new word on the effectiveness of this screen after having it the last few months?

Also, what is "Steve Supply"'s website?

5150 pops
Minimoto racer

Postby 5150 pops » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:37 am

Picture.......
Would anyone with this "Steve's supply" bracket mounted to their bike mind snapping a photo of it mounted to the bike but without the screen attached?
Also if by chance someone has one they've not yet installed, could you snap a picture from the opposite direction where the two screws threads protrude out, towards the mounting point?

Many thanks in advance, and if you are challenged by posting them here, send them directly to me and I'll upload them to this thread....... Shane dot Ardoin at Gmail.com
no spaces before Gmail.com aka Shane.ardoin@

PreviousNext

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]