Not happy with KTM dealers

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Not happy with KTM dealers

Postby Pikey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:43 am

So I am finding that KTM dealers appear to be as useless as the rest.

I thought after chatting to the mechanic at the dealers I had found a dealer that "might" provide a reasonable service, however as usual they are just as fooking useless as every other dealer I have encountered over the years.

Why can't they just do a simple task like following instructions.

KTM give you a list of things to check when servicing the bike, so how hard can it be, the problem appears to be that they either can't follow instruction, or have no fooking idea what they are doing.

Took my bike in for service, when picking it up and the guy was running off the list of tasks they had completed, I mentioned that the headset was lose as it would be every time I bring my bike in, due to excessive wheelies that I am always doing. Guy said he would pop out and check to see if it was tightened. Comes back and informs me it didn't need tightening as it was not lose. Funny as it was lose when I dropped it off (left that as a little test to see how good they were)
Well the headset is lose and even suffers the clicking noise from the headset where it is lose, so as usual I will have to service the bike myself every time I pick it up from a service (nothing new there)

Anyway get home and log onto the internet to check they have updated the service information and yet again, they have not.
When I enter the details of my bike a warning pops up stating there is a recall on my bike (useless fookers missed that as well)
So pop back and ask them to update the KTM site with the info and mention the recall, was then informed that there isn't a recall on it, so return home thinking I must have made a mistake.
Enter my information again and they have updated the website (cool a win, they have managed to complete a basic task successfully) however there is a warning message right across the bottom of the screen informing me there is a recall on my VIN.

All I need to do now is find a dealer that knows how to complete basic servicing tasks, or do the job correctly myself and void the warranty which I am nervous of doing with a bike this new and the reputation KTM appear to have

scamb66

Re: Not happy with KTM dealers

Postby scamb66 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Any idea what the recall is?
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Not yet, but will be off to the dealers again on Monday to give them a hard time about the quality of their work, for the money you pay to service these fooking KTM'a you would think the lest they could do is provide a premium service to match the premium price.

And to think I was telling everyone how good the dealer was and recommending them, but it appears the sales guys were A1 and the rest well......

sexparty
Two wheeled terror

Postby sexparty » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 am

Then take your money elsewhere or complain.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but unless you complain and make the dealer principle do something about it. Nothing will change and they will continue to do this to customers.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:18 am

sexparty wrote:Then take your money elsewhere or complain.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but unless you complain and make the dealer principle do something about it. Nothing will change and they will continue to do this to customers.

Where do you complain mate? I really feel for the KTM few dealers in Oz who try to do the best they can as all effort is shot out of the water by the other useless ones.
In some areas it's going on for years now and it's well know!
Still I think KTM oz likes it that way so they don't have to be nice to people and sort stuff out which is in the too hard basket.
Can't believe the different attitude on the phone already when you ring to buy or ring there is a problem.
To buy it's sure sir, with the problem it's what do you fffing know you idiot. One thing is forgotten that there are actually people out there that know stuff if you make an effort to listen what they have to say.
No I'm not necessary talking about myself but like ABC, KevXtx, Jmann and others who actually know how to use a spanner and micrometer.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:12 am

I will say that I find my dealer very accommodating after some initial trepidation. But I did have to discuss at length the issue of the rear hub with the head tech and it didnt take long to show him I knew what I was talking about after mentioning bearing standards and thermal expansion rates of materials, and once I said I was going to pull it apart in the carpark to show them they immediately took action and upon inspection of the bits filled out the warranty claim. I have already flagged with them the possibility that its not the hub or bearings but the housing or swingarm ID and they said they would pursue that if it proved to be the problem. So after a bumpy start I have to say my dealer has been acting in my best interest.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Sean
Minimoto racer

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:54 am

which dealer Pikey?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 am

scamb66 wrote:Any idea what the recall is?

+1
Would like to know too as I put my bike in and it shows the same thing. Probably same recall.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:21 am

off topic but how do I check my history online?

I'd go else where, they sound like douches.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:30 am

ebags wrote:off topic but how do I check my history online?

I'd go else where, they sound like douches.

Punch in your VIN and delivery cert number here:
http://www.ktm.com/au/dealer-service/service/service-safety-check.html

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 am

I can't get any results.
Emailed my dealer to update last service. They confirmed this, but still no joy.
I have tried using the Vin and the Dealer Cert. No. at bottom left on the Key Code Card, but no results.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 am

ferret990 wrote:I can't get any results.
Emailed my dealer to update last service. They confirmed this, but still no joy.
I have tried using the Vin and the Dealer Cert. No. at bottom left on the Key Code Card, but no results.

It is the vin number and the delivery certificate number.
That bit of paper (or email) with the ticked boxes that they checked the bike before delivery.
Number is on top right somewhere

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:26 am

Didn't get a certificate (after asking twice).
That's why I used the number off the Key code card as per Kev's post from another forum.
http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6545
I will try again for a Certificate, but don't like my chances.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:39 am

ferret990 wrote:Didn't get a certificate (after asking twice).
That's why I used the number off the Key code card as per Kev's post from another forum.
http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6545
I will try again for a Certificate, but don't like my chances.

You should get it for several reasons, one is your warranty starts when they lodge it on the computer to KTM.
Once it is lodged the system keeps track of that bike's service and so on.
If they haven't done it that bike shows up unsold.
If you don't get it lodge a complaint with KTM Australia.

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:13 am

Ok, called dealers and they still insisted there was no recall on my bike, so went down to the dealers and entered my details in the KTM website and sure enough the recall came up on my VIN, the dealer called KTM while I was there to ask what was going on as it doesn't show on their system.

Apparently it is to do with the Speedo mount and they are replacing the mounting screws with some sort of rubber mount and screws, they said they have had issues with a few of the bikes in the US, can't see how they have had issues when they have only just got the 1290 in the US, anyway they called it an update and said it is not actually a recall.

KTM informed the dealer that the reason it doesn't show on their system is due to the fact that KTM don't have the parts available yet and will update the dealer system as soon as the parts are available and that the Oz bikes are included in the "update"
My dealer has added my bike to the system as requiring the update and will contact me as soon as the parts are available.

As for complaining to the dealer, that is a complete waste of time, explained that the headset is loose and reckon it is ok, even though I have the clicking noise from the headset. They are saying their mechanic tested the headset and it is not loose and that he took it for a test ride and there is no headspace that happens when the headset is loose.......BS, never had a headspace due to loose headset in any bike I have owned yet, so I am going to have to tighten it myself, nothing new there I am used to "servicing" my bike after getting the dealer to service it first :roll:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 am

Pikey wrote:

Ok, called dealers and they still insisted there was no recall on my bike, so went down to the dealers and entered my details in the KTM website and sure enough the recall came up on my VIN, the dealer called KTM while I was there to ask what was going on as it doesn't show on their system.

Apparently it is to do with the Speedo mount and they are replacing the mounting screws with some sort of rubber mount and screws, they said they have had issues with a few of the bikes in the US, can't see how they have had issues when they have only just got the 1290 in the US, anyway they called it an update and said it is not actually a recall.

KTM informed the dealer that the reason it doesn't show on their system is due to the fact that KTM don't have the parts available yet and will update the dealer system as soon as the parts are available and that the Oz bikes are included in the "update"
My dealer has added my bike to the system as requiring the update and will contact me as soon as the parts are available.

As for complaining to the dealer, that is a complete waste of time, explained that the headset is loose and reckon it is ok, even though I have the clicking noise from the headset. They are saying their mechanic tested the headset and it is not loose and that he took it for a test ride and there is no headspace that happens when the headset is loose.......BS, never had a headspace due to loose headset in any bike I have owned yet, so I am going to have to tighten it myself, nothing new there I am used to "servicing" my bike after getting the dealer to service it first :roll:

Yeah the clicking thing I solved myself. Just a matter of doing it as per spec and the clicking noise is gone.
The reason it's doing it is that the triple clamp doesn't have a pinchbolt on the bearing side so that nut on the top needs to be at 50nm.
I did a bit of a how to in the other tread, follow that or the instructions in the service manual and you're sweet.

Octane Warrior
Minimoto racer

Postby Octane Warrior » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:53 am

The Speedo update is all across production. Updates/recalls are also send out in Europe.

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 am

ktmguy wrote:Yeah the clicking thing I solved myself. Just a matter of doing it as per spec and the clicking noise is gone.

How did you tighten the steering head nut as per spec (10Nm less 60°) without the torque wrench adapter, or did you just do it by feel?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 am

ferret990 wrote:
ktmguy wrote:Yeah the clicking thing I solved myself. Just a matter of doing it as per spec and the clicking noise is gone.

How did you tighten the steering head nut as per spec (10Nm less 60°) without the torque wrench adapter, or did you just do it by feel?

This one I did by feel.
10nm is not that much, use a short 6mm bolt or drill bit and do hand tight.
The idea is to have 10nm total, the -60 degrees is the play on the tread that disappears when you do the top nut up and press the bottom one down on the tread.
Not such a clear explanation but you probably get the drift....

I don't like this system as I prefer a pinch bolt on that side of the triple clamp too.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]