58%
No
42%

Total votes : 128

ktmguy
Site Admin

Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 am

Hi Peeps. As per logic and demand a poll to find out the numbers affected by the rear hub problem on the 1290.
Please keep this serious as it might benefit the people affected to get this sorted as soon as possible.
Just put down if your bike is affected and if you want some comments to help other or clarify what has been done so far.
Information of your where you are could be useful.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:53 am

I put mine in and as you are probably aware from my whinging what's going on, no further comments needed till I get an update next week.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 am

I originally reported the problem months ago (April 16 2014) and I had hoped to have it sorted out by now so I could post the measurements up for all members. Maybe that info could have been used to convince dealers and ktm that there is a problem and also that the problem is effecting numerous bikes. I am still waiting for bearings and seals to arrive even though if I ordered them myself they would have been here in 3 days :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

jemook
Two wheeled terror

Postby jemook » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 am

What should we look out for to see if we are affected?

Cheers,
Jeremy

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:37 am

jemook wrote:What should we look out for to see if we are affected?

Cheers,
Jeremy

With the bike on the side stand grab the top of the rear wheel from the side (doesn't matter which side) and push pull away- towards you.
Seems to be most apparent if warm (ridden).
Example here:
http://vid743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/ktmguy990/Rearhub1.mp4

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:40 am

Last edited by abc on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

jemook
Two wheeled terror

Postby jemook » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:00 am

Jesus, that is scary. I'll check mine tonight

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 am

Ok I just went out to the garage and did the test while the bike was cold. There is play. I don't know how much is normal. But if this was my rear wheel on my dirt bike I would be checking the rear wheel bearings and my swingarm bearings. I guess I will be making a trip to the Ktm dealer in the near future to have this checked out. :(
The 1290 is what the 990 was suppose to be.

I ride Ktm Motorcycles, yep :-)

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 am

You are in the USA; I was not expecting any of your bikes to be effected. I thought yours were produced much later than ours. Or maybe it was just delayed delivery, not assembly.
Next time you can get out, check it after a run. Only takes a 10 minute ride to get some heat into it which magnifies the movement.
After which it gets into your head and you feel sure you can feel it when throwing the bike around or hitting ridges :(

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:31 am

Like I said, I'm not sure what's normal. But I will check it again the next time I get the bike out. If the play get worse. I will be making a trip to my dealer this Saturday.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 am

robertkehl wrote:Like I said, I'm not sure what's normal. But I will check it again the next time I get the bike out. If the play get worse. I will be making a trip to my dealer this Saturday.

Since this I tried several bikes as it becomes a bit of an obsession. So far I haven't been able to detect any play in any of them with the exception of a clapped out dirtbike sitting at the local husky dealers place.
My old 08 model SD990, a ducati 1098, a GSXR thou, a CB 500, a few beemers (some with 40k plus km) and a few others at local dealers and people I know with bikes. All of them no detectable play.
So in my opinion there should be no play there as more or less confirmed by owners who don't have the problem. e.g. Pikey who has probably the most km's on his.
Best comparison so far was the duc 1098 which has a very similar setup and after 25000km plus it has no play.
I had a google and ducati sell the rear hub as one part, I haven't been able to find any info on the bearings they use yet.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 am

There should be no play! Would you find this on a race bike? I don't think so.
Even my Honda scooter with 7000ks on the clock doesn't have play and you know how cheaply these things are made.
KTM have a big problem on their hands.

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am

ktmguy wrote:I had a google and ducati sell the rear hub as one part, I haven't been able to find any info on the bearings they use yet.

According to a Ducatisti on one of their forums:
"one of the bearings is readily available. That is the roller bearing, SKF part # RNA 4910 2RS.
The difficult-to-obtain bearing is a double-row ball type (with one outer race and two inner races). It is made in Italy by SKF specially for Ducati. It's part # is BAH-0175. It is very expensive."
Hope this helps.

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm

i have checked mine and have play!
Looks like another call to dealer!
Lets Ride!

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Should've started a poll a couple of months ago, people are actually checking them.
I better hurry up and order my hub and axle before they are put on back order for 6 months.

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:45 pm

ktmguy wrote:
robertkehl wrote:Like I said, I'm not sure what's normal. But I will check it again the next time I get the bike out. If the play get worse. I will be making a trip to my dealer this Saturday.

Since this I tried several bikes as it becomes a bit of an obsession. So far I haven't been able to detect any play in any of them with the exception of a clapped out dirtbike sitting at the local husky dealers place.
My old 08 model SD990, a ducati 1098, a GSXR thou, a CB 500, a few beemers (some with 40k plus km) and a few others at local dealers and people I know with bikes. All of them no detectable play.
So in my opinion there should be no play there as more or less confirmed by owners who don't have the problem. e.g. Pikey who has probably the most km's on his.
Best comparison so far was the duc 1098 which has a very similar setup and after 25000km plus it has no play.
I had a google and ducati sell the rear hub as one part, I haven't been able to find any info on the bearings they use yet.

Your right there should be no play. I just made the appointment to see my dealer on Saturday.

Miki
Two wheeled terror

Postby Miki » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm

robertkehl wrote:
ktmguy wrote:

Your right there should be no play. I just made the appointment to see my dealer on Saturday.

After 2000 km unfortunately i can feel and hear some play. It wasnt like that earlier. Also feel longitudinal pavement joint and road paintings uncomfortable way :evil: Will go to dealer tomorrow. Positive thing is dealer is only 7 km from me.

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Some of you have probably read my posts but yes I have excess play, first noticed at about 200 miles as I felt it while riding.
I am in the UK and bike was first registered 18th June 2014.
I am booked in for a new hub assembly including wheel axle on thursday 17th July 2014.
I will update as and when.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

jemook
Two wheeled terror

Postby jemook » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:29 am

No play on mine - bought in Sydney, Australia.

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 am

i move my bike over in the garage by
picking up the rear wheel and havent noticed
anything wierd
i will check it saturday after my 40 mile ride
to the dealer to complain about the speedo
being off and a possible bad front rotor
i wondering if this problem was the cause
of the delay of bikes in the usa
hummmmm

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 am

Joe Biker wrote:i wondering if this problem was the cause of the delay of bikes in the usa hummmmm

Unlikely that even KTM would be that stupid/arrogant.
If they had known when prepping USA bikes then surely they would have nipped it in the bud.
At that point a lot of bikes would have either still been in dealers, or prior to first service.
A memo to dealers could have had the bikes checked in the shop without owners being any the wiser, just a recommended parts swap.
The odd one that then slipped through the net could be treated as they turned up; avoids the perceived stigma attached to recalls.
Keen to hear how robertkehl gets on at his dealer this Saturday - first suspect USA bike I am aware of.
If there are faulty USA bikes, I suspect either the rear ends were assembled much earlier, or the USA bikes were assembled earlier and delayed for some other reason.
Or the dodgy component is amazingly random.
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how the assembly or warranty claim or recall processes work.
I miss my SMT :(

OZsuperduker
Two wheeled terror

Postby OZsuperduker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:08 am

I have close to 5,000 kms on my 1290 and I am also affected. I do ride my bike really hard, but this should be no matter.

Today after some hard road tuning wheel well warmed up and tyres hot the play is scary.

Bike with the dealer now. I am told that they spoke to KTM Australia who will be sending them some info shortly on the problem.

I just hope I have a bike to ride home on today
==========================================================================
When in doubt WOT it out

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

ferret990 wrote:
Joe Biker wrote:i wondering if this problem was the cause of the delay of bikes in the usa hummmmm

Unlikely that even KTM would be that stupid/arrogant.
If they had known when prepping USA bikes then surely they would have nipped it in the bud.
At that point a lot of bikes would have either still been in dealers, or prior to first service.
A memo to dealers could have had the bikes checked in the shop without owners being any the wiser, just a recommended parts swap.
The odd one that then slipped through the net could be treated as they turned up; avoids the perceived stigma attached to recalls.
Keen to hear how robertkehl gets on at his dealer this Saturday - first suspect USA bike I am aware of.
If there are faulty USA bikes, I suspect either the rear ends were assembled much earlier, or the USA bikes were assembled earlier and delayed for some other reason.
Or the dodgy component is amazingly random.
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how the assembly or warranty claim or recall processes work.
I miss my SMT :(

checked mine cold has a lil play,called the dealer taking it tomorrow for him to check it out
dealer is 40 miles away so bike should be nice an hot
will advise :twisted:

robby-hk
Minimoto racer

Postby robby-hk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10 am

My bike is still at the dealers in Hong Kong. They had it jacked up on a centre stand through the frame, and had a runout meter (?) set up to measure the rim. Wobling it side to side I could get it to read from 0 to 0.30 (units?); not sure about rotating the wheel.

Dealer tells me the head mechanic has taken a video of this setup and sent it off to KTM, hopefully they'll work this out.

They've ordered a replacement hub and also the axle for my bike and hopefully it should all be replaced and the fault rectified soon.

iannowi
Two wheeled terror

Postby iannowi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 am

I registered my vote as a NO to'' Is your 1290 affected by the rear hub problem''
Having checked the bike again today,[as per video] with 2500 miles on the clock, there is a very slight clicking noise, which I can only assume is rear hub play.
Ive informed the dealer, and will keep an eye on it.
Can the mods change my vote to a YES

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]