Rear hub numbers affected.

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips

Is your 1290 affected by the rear hub problem

Yes
74
58%
No
54
42%
 
Total votes : 128

User avatar
Max78
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby Max78 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Whooaaa That scare me a lot more ! :o :shock: this Weekend i've got to open mine.....

abc
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: snowy mountains

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby abc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Ktm08 - I am sorry to see this on your bike. Unfortunately I have suspitions that a lot of 1290 have rear assemblies in this condition or similar and it all comes down to the design.
Get it repaired under warranty, then drill drain hole and I would also be filling the swingarm cavity with expanding foam. Its light and displaces water.
It has been a longtime since I had mine apart and cant remember which orientation the hole in the hub is situated :(
Obviously in your case and maybe many others the hole is still above the high tide mark :)
I suspect the hole is there to allow the pressure in the hub to vent the bearing cavity and not cause the seals to blow.
I also dont think the water is coming from the 2 plugs up the front end of swingarm.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

User avatar
driftkr6l
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby driftkr6l » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Should we all be drilling a small water hole in our swing arms then? If so can some point out the location. I dont want to hit anything vital.
2014 Superduke 1290R
-Bodis De-Cat pipe
-Evotech Frame Sliders
-TechSpec Tank Grip Pads
-PowerCommander 5
-Autotune AT-300
-K&N filter
-Rottweiler SAS and Canister removal kit
-ASV C5 levers

User avatar
lc4
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby lc4 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:19 am

abc wrote:Ktm08 - I am sorry to see this on your bike. Unfortunately I have suspitions that a lot of 1290 have rear assemblies in this condition or similar and it all comes down to the design.
Get it repaired under warranty, then drill drain hole and I would also be filling the swingarm cavity with expanding foam. Its light and displaces water.
It has been a longtime since I had mine apart and cant remember which orientation the hole in the hub is situated :(
Obviously in your case and maybe many others the hole is still above the high tide mark :)
I suspect the hole is there to allow the pressure in the hub to vent the bearing cavity and not cause the seals to blow.
I also dont think the water is coming from the 2 plugs up the front end of swingarm.


ABC I`m thinking the hole in the hub must be situated towards the bottom of the cavity thus allowing water to run into the hub, when you roll the hub forward the hole moves further down and drains out any water within the hub as others have posted.
I`m going the expanded foam option but will roll the hub forward first to avoid the foam entering the hub. There are a number of places within the swingarm that can potentially let water in which can all be fixed with one application of foam.
I notice there is a hole partially drilled in the base of the swingarm which has been done after powder coating ?

Reevus
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:08 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby Reevus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Just to throw a spanner in works...when I got my rear hub replaced the technician he said to me that the new hub has drainage holes already as he mentioned that mine already had water trapped inside....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: snowy mountains

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby abc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 am

lc4 - you will probably have to grease the hub to stop the foam sticking to the hub wall. Expanding foam is shit stuff and it sticks to almost everything.
Obviously remove any grease afterwards.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

User avatar
lc4
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby lc4 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:29 am

abc wrote:lc4 - you will probably have to grease the hub to stop the foam sticking to the hub wall. Expanding foam is shit stuff and it sticks to almost everything.
Obviously remove any grease afterwards.


Yes will do.
I`m also thinking of putting a grub screw in the 6mm hole in the hub, can`t see why this would be any different to a standard wheel setup that has no breather?

abc
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: snowy mountains

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby abc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Loctite is your friend and will stop the rear end self destructing whilst the bearings try to eat a loose grub screw - Ouch :D
I can't remember the wall thickness of the hub at that point but you won't get many threads in the wall. In some applications I actually don't tap the hole all the way through and only use the taper tap so that when you put the grub screw into the hole it tightens as it comes up against the mating thread and is almost self locking. Add loctite to this and you're good to go. Watch if thin wall exists.
Can you maybe do a "how to" with pics for others who might not know what we are talking about.
I still haven't done mine yet because all this bloody bellypan making bullsh1t is taking all my time :cry: Also have some mapping issues i am trying to sort atm :cry:
I would also like to see your rear hub assembly after you have been riding with these changes to see if the area between the bearings is still showing condensation and/or water from heavy rain etc
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

User avatar
aracheon
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby aracheon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:31 pm

Finally got around to taking my 1290 into the dealer I bought it from.

Showed them the problem with the rear wheel hub, explained that its worse when its cold, had the service writer put her hand on the top of the tyre and shake the wheel itself. "Oh, yeah, that's bad."




Got a call 5 hours later... "Yeah, so, that balancing problem was because whomever painted your wheels did a bad job. So we can't cover that under warranty since it's because of aftermarket modification."

Ummm...
Crash

2014 SDR

abc
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: snowy mountains

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby abc » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:46 pm

Thats a very ordinary result :roll:
I would take pics of the wheels mating surfaces to prove there is no paint on them. Show these to your wonderful dealer and be prepared to go another 10 rounds
What a load of BS. Its no wonder some dealers have a bad reputation, that response just seems to be the easy way out. Sorry to hear that.

Have you done the re torque of the large wheel nut and hub clamp bolt? Easy to do yourself if you have the tools. I believe the hub clamp bolt torque spec has a big influence on the freeplay issue and mine improved when I progressively increased the torque spec on this bolt. I did all this prior to the official new specs being available from ktm. All that work is in a thread somewhere. But it proves (in my case anyway) that the hub was actually moving in the swingarm housing. This improved at 60Nm and again at the final 70Nm as ktm later recommended.
Good luck.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

User avatar
Max78
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby Max78 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 pm

aracheon wrote:Finally got around to taking my 1290 into the dealer I bought it from.

Showed them the problem with the rear wheel hub, explained that its worse when its cold, had the service writer put her hand on the top of the tyre and shake the wheel itself. "Oh, yeah, that's bad."




Got a call 5 hours later... "Yeah, so, that balancing problem was because whomever painted your wheels did a bad job. So we can't cover that under warranty since it's because of aftermarket modification."

Ummm...


Mine last year said that it was because i changed my tyres ! But the paint..... Seem Legit :roll:
Image

User avatar
Max78
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby Max78 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

abc wrote:Loctite is your friend and will stop the rear end self destructing whilst the bearings try to eat a loose grub screw - Ouch :D
I can't remember the wall thickness of the hub at that point but you won't get many threads in the wall. In some applications I actually don't tap the hole all the way through and only use the taper tap so that when you put the grub screw into the hole it tightens as it comes up against the mating thread and is almost self locking. Add loctite to this and you're good to go. Watch if thin wall exists.
Can you maybe do a "how to" with pics for others who might not know what we are talking about.
I still haven't done mine yet because all this bloody bellypan making bullsh1t is taking all my time :cry: Also have some mapping issues i am trying to sort atm :cry:
I would also like to see your rear hub assembly after you have been riding with these changes to see if the area between the bearings is still showing condensation and/or water from heavy rain etc


Find this on Ducati Forum. Looks pretty similar to our hub.

I don't know if it's gonna help somebody to advanced the thread...
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=34425.0

User avatar
driftkr6l
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby driftkr6l » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Nice find. I wish there was one for the 1290 already
2014 Superduke 1290R
-Bodis De-Cat pipe
-Evotech Frame Sliders
-TechSpec Tank Grip Pads
-PowerCommander 5
-Autotune AT-300
-K&N filter
-Rottweiler SAS and Canister removal kit
-ASV C5 levers

User avatar
Max78
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby Max78 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Love the socket... Will design one 60mm side and 41mm with 1/2 drive... :idea:

User avatar
ktm08
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Pula,Croatia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktm08 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:50 pm

I drilled a hole:
Image

User avatar
ktm08
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Pula,Croatia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktm08 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:03 pm

I think the water is coming from the shaft seal ring in to the hub,then from the hub go in to the swingarm.

User avatar
driftkr6l
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby driftkr6l » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Where does the hole line up on the bottom of the swing arm? Is it at the pre formed divot ?
2014 Superduke 1290R
-Bodis De-Cat pipe
-Evotech Frame Sliders
-TechSpec Tank Grip Pads
-PowerCommander 5
-Autotune AT-300
-K&N filter
-Rottweiler SAS and Canister removal kit
-ASV C5 levers

User avatar
ktm08
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Pula,Croatia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktm08 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:13 am

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
lc4
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby lc4 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:58 am

ktm08 wrote:I think the water is coming from the shaft seal ring in to the hub,then from the hub go in to the swingarm.


I have been to busy to get to pull mine apart yet but from what you say if the seal is leaking then water will still get into the hub bearings regardless of what you do with the swingarm?

User avatar
ktm08
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 pm
Location: Pula,Croatia

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktm08 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:52 am

But now I have new hub,maybe the seal ring will be better now,and the water from swingarm will go out.

dflowers
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby dflowers » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Stupid question. Is the nut that secures the sprocket carrier normal or reverse thread? I have the shop manual on CD and there was no mention of it being a reverse thread, but I was unable to get that nut off. I do not have any rear wheel play but when I moved the hub all the way forward using the chain tension tool, some water came out :( Seemed to be clear clean water if that makes any difference.... So for sure I want to get the hub apart and see what it looks like. Not sure the dealer will be interested since there is nothing wrong with the wheel play. Am bringing it in on July 18th for the leaking gas tank problem.

dflowers
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby dflowers » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:42 pm

OK answered my own question. Normal thread. Had a look at my hub after over a year of use in lots of wet weather riding but a total of only 4500 miles. Bike is garaged at home. There was water in the bottom of the hub for sure but it was clear and not dirty at all. From what I can tell, the bearings seemed OK. Wheel side bearings had that white looking grease but does not seem to have water contamination. Thoughts? Drilled one small hole in bottom of hub. For now have it covered with duct tape and will drain it after wet conditions. The swing arm seems solid before the hub so I think water has to be getting in through the hub somehow. Maybe through the gap in the hub that gets tightened after chain adjustment?
Image
Image
Image
Image

iannowi
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby iannowi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:10 pm

i had my rear hub re-torqued during its first service last year. It now has approx 6k miles on the clock. Its been ok since, until last week when i noticed knocking noises coming from the rear hub.
i removed the chain off the rear sprocket and rolled the bike around on the drive, thinking it could possibly be a tight spot on the chain. I still get the knocking noise from the hub. Could it be the bearing?

dflowers
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby dflowers » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Probably bearing related.

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:02 pm

dflowers wrote:Probably bearing related.


+1! Time for inspection.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

PreviousNext

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests