58%
No
42%

Total votes : 128

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: Rear hub numbers affected.

Postby ktmguy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Reevus wrote:Just checked mine and it would appear I have the same issue - although am unsure, felt play and checked my gf's cb600f and there was no play so assume I have a wobbly wheel :(

Probably a stupid question but it is still rideable (was thinking of asking them to look at it when I get new set of tyres)....feel a little movement riding but that could be the awful road surface....or is it something I should get sorted ASAP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to safety and warranty, get it sorted pronto!
If this was the Aston Martin forum would this question even be asked?!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Strictly speaking shouldn't have the problem in the first place but I see your point....was hoping to have a bike that I don't have any problems with...so far it has been 4 out of 5 haha....(not all KTM) might take the hint and just get the train.....joke....love riding too much!

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Reevus wrote:Just checked mine and it would appear I have the same issue - although am unsure, felt play and checked my gf's cb600f and there was no play so assume I have a wobbly wheel :(

Probably a stupid question but it is still rideable (was thinking of asking them to look at it when I get new set of tyres)....feel a little movement riding but that could be the awful road surface....or is it something I should get sorted ASAP?

Comrade: Get it done ASAP with as little riding as possible. If you ride it you will damage the bearing stud surface if it isn't already. If you can get to it early you may just need it tightened as per the solution offered further back in this thread (I think).

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:03 pm

Right-ho will get on the phone tomorrow! It is mentioned in this thread but there a few conflicting bits of info...some say that KTM have offered new torque numbers and others say KTM say they have no knowledge of it...will just have to roll the dice and see I guess. As always advice is much appreciated

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 am

Reevus wrote:Right-ho will get on the phone tomorrow! It is mentioned in this thread but there a few conflicting bits of info...some say that KTM have offered new torque numbers and others say KTM say they have no knowledge of it...will just have to roll the dice and see I guess. As always advice is much appreciated

KTM has knowledge of it and eventually has been helpful in Australia to replace rear hubs complete.
On some the re-torque of the wheel nuts to new specs seem to help, on others only replacement works.

I thought this problem would be dealt with by now as they know what to look for when it leaves the assembly line.
At least I would expect it to be under control and the dealers aware what to do.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Just called Jim Aim and booked in for a check on the rear wheel - seemed to know of a few cases the wheel wobbled so has potential to be fairly painless *touch wood*

sketchiey
Minimoto racer

Postby sketchiey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 pm

update....dealer called yesterday, they received the tool from ktm to measure the trueness of the wheel. it was less out with ktm's tool than the dealers. ktm did agree to replace the bearings and spindle, hopefully this will fix the issue.

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Can any 2015 owners confirm that the Hub issues have been sorted straight out of the crate?

Just done a group ride with a couple of single sided swingarm bikes in the mix (Triumph, Ducati). Checked both rear wheels and as you may have guessed Zero play.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 am

lc4 wrote:Can any 2015 owners confirm that the Hub issues have been sorted straight out of the crate?

Just done a group ride with a couple of single sided swingarm bikes in the mix (Triumph, Ducati). Checked both rear wheels and as you may have guessed Zero play.

Its only KTM that can't manufacture a single sided swing arm properly... :lol:
What has happened to KTM?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 am

AGRO! wrote:
lc4 wrote:Can any 2015 owners confirm that the Hub issues have been sorted straight out of the crate?

Its only KTM that can't manufacture a single sided swing arm properly... :lol:
What has happened to KTM?

One word....marketing!

alobar
Two wheeled terror

Postby alobar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 am

I'm an owner of a 2015 SDR and it has no issue in the rear hub.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 am

Just collected my 2015 and no hub play whatsoever. I did give it a wobble on collection and was informed that the issue was due to the main wheel bearing which has now been resolved. Some cases were I am told due to powder coated/painted wheels where the mating surfaces were not kept bare - I can't actually believe this one but there you go..

The bike is bloody fantastic - end of!

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 am

2 from 2 with the 2015`s so 100% so far :lol:

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

That good news! I wonder if I take my bike back to the dealer if they would tell me that my play was still in spect. They did tell me that Ktm is a stand up company and stands behind their bikes. And if they found a real problem they would fix all the bikes that had it.

Dose this mean the torque on the big nut no longer need to be raised?
The 1290 is what the 990 was suppose to be.

I ride Ktm Motorcycles, yep :-)

half-CAB
Minimoto racer

Postby half-CAB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 am

Checked mine upon pickup and no play. Couple hundred miles later and the slightest bit has appeared. I'm monitoring closely but STILL SMITTEN.....KTM has been good to me with regards to recalls and such so you won't find me slandering the Austrians.
Even the hottest girls sometimes fart in bed lads..... :D
'07 Orange SD
'03 450 SX
'10 RSV4 Factory
'06 950 SM
'14 Black 1290 SDR
Y.N.W.A.

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Got mine into the garage to be checked and got re-torqued but there is still a tiny amount of play....got told he will call KTM to find out what next....hopefully a replaced hub so I can stop thinking about it!

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Asked my dealer to check out the play, bike seemed to act extremely weird when riding on lines between different sections of the road

And i mean a lot more weird. I could feel play when doing the grab the wheel and shake test, more so when hot than cold.

Dealer said play was within spec and suggested a higher rear tyre pressure to deal with the uneasy feeling from the lines in the road.

I've been running 33psi cold, they suggested 37psi and filled the tyre to that. Still feels excessively uneasy when crossing lines.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Sully wrote:Asked my dealer to check out the play, bike seemed to act extremely weird when riding on lines between different sections of the road

And i mean a lot more weird. I could feel play when doing the grab the wheel and shake test, more so when hot than cold.

Dealer said play was within spec and suggested a higher rear tyre pressure to deal with the uneasy feeling from the lines in the road.

I've been running 33psi cold, they suggested 37psi and filled the tyre to that. Still feels excessively uneasy when crossing lines.

If you can feel play it's not right and no amount of air in the tyre will fix this... What is the problem with these dealers???? Fill in the warranty claim and get it over with!
It has been well documented and heaps of hubs have been replaced, why the pissing around is it an haberdashery shop or a bike dealership?

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:12 pm

ktmguy wrote:If you can feel play it's not right and no amount of air in the tyre will fix this... What is the problem with these dealers???? Fill in the warranty claim and get it over with! It has been well documented and heaps of hubs have been replaced, why the pissing around is it an haberdashery shop or a bike dealership?

Preaching to the choir here, The worse part of my story is, i was recommended by KTM N America to goto this Orange tier dealer, and they called the dealer to let them know i was coming, as another dealer did my front wheel and rotor replacement under warranty, but never bled my brakes and the lever came all the way to the handle bar first time i rode it, which means they never test rode it. As well as the original pads were spent after 2700 miles, and made no attempt to get KTM to replace them with the rotors.

The Orange tier dealer sorted the front brakes by replacing the pads and a full flush/re-fill bleed job as per KTM N America. but failed to see a problem with the rear hub.

Pretty sad as a first time KTM owner to have it go this way, love the bike, hate the politics with making it or not making it right.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Sully wrote:
ktmguy wrote:If you can feel play it's not right and no amount of air in the tyre will fix this... What is the problem with these dealers???? Fill in the warranty claim and get it over with! It has been well documented and heaps of hubs have been replaced, why the pissing around is it an haberdashery shop or a bike dealership?

Preaching to the choir here, The worse part of my story is, i was recommended by KTM N America to goto this Orange tier dealer, and they called the dealer to let them know i was coming, as another dealer did my front wheel and rotor replacement under warranty, but never bled my brakes and the lever came all the way to the handle bar first time i rode it, which means they never test rode it. As well as the original pads were spent after 2700 miles, and made no attempt to get KTM to replace them with the rotors.

The Orange tier dealer sorted the front brakes by replacing the pads and a full flush/re-fill bleed job as per KTM N America. but failed to see a problem with the rear hub.

Pretty sad as a first time KTM owner to have it go this way, love the bike, hate the politics with making it or not making it right.

I know that KTM doesn't have a problem replacing the hub when it's faulty, numerous have been done!
Why on earth the dealer doesn't just fill in the form I don't know?!
I suggest the following:
Type up a letter that states that you notified the dealer of this potential dangerous situation and unless a warranty claim is filled he cold be held responsible due to negligence for any bodily or financial damages.
(something like that, you get the gist, if not sure ask someone with law experience)

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 am

Does anyone have a copy of or if there is an official TSB for the new Torque settings?

I am about to put new tyres on the bike and just want to know the exact new torque setting for both the 60mm wheel nut and the 41mm (chain side) nut.

cheers
Lets Ride!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 am

MaximusVR46 wrote:Does anyone have a copy of or if there is an official TSB for the new Torque settings?

I am about to put new tyres on the bike and just want to know the exact new torque setting for both the 60mm wheel nut and the 41mm (chain side) nut.

cheers

It's been posted a few times before!
250nm for the big wheel side.
70nm for the chain side

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:40 pm

ktmguy wrote:
MaximusVR46 wrote:Does anyone have a copy of or if there is an official TSB for the new Torque settings?

cheers

It's been posted a few times before!
250nm for the big wheel side.
70nm for the chain side

I know sorry just wanted a confirmed answer so thank you.
Lets Ride!

Swifty
Minimoto racer

Postby Swifty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 pm

I assume the 70 nm is for the bolt at the rear of the swing arm for chain adjustment? Has anyone confirmed whether the chain side nut torque setting is still 200 nm or higher?

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Swifty wrote:I assume the 70 nm is for the bolt at the rear of the swing arm for chain adjustment? Has anyone confirmed whether the chain side nut torque setting is still 200 nm or higher?

You got it right. The chain side did not change. Still 200 nm.
The 1290 is what the 990 was suppose to be.

I ride Ktm Motorcycles, yep :-)

PreviousNext

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]