Tail light broke.

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
User avatar
Cambo85
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:19 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Tail light broke.

Postby Cambo85 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey Guys,

Have any of you have the mounts snap off your tail light?
Went for a ride Saturday and a mate I was riding with said your tail light was loose.
So I pulled over and on further inspection I found the light was just sitting there and the mounts have just sheared off. Also I have not bumped the ligh backed into anything so I'm puzzled to how this happend.

User avatar
OZsuperduker
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 am
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby OZsuperduker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 pm

See here: http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 400#p41122

You are not alone. Put in a claim.
==========================================================================
When in doubt WOT it out

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:05 am

Join the Cue.... :roll:
Shitty design, noticed hanging loose when I cleaned it.
Anything like that should have a 5or 6 mm bolt stuck from the inside out and done up with a locknut.

Araldite it back together for now as I've heard there are none in Oz. (so there have been several then)
Warranty claim in... with this design I might claim a few times to stock up when the warranty runs out...
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
Cambo85
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:19 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby Cambo85 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:05 am

About to splinter!!

Waited 4 months for my licence plate light on power part tail tidy, rear hub problems (fixed so far only time will tell with axle bearings new torque spec's) , rear shock mount rubbed a gouge about 3 mm deep from hunger, now tail light snapped off. and they keep moving my full exhaust date 4 time when they promised it was on the boat. We pay double the price for the bike and the power parts then the US and we seem to get shafted. :evil: :evil: :evil: (insert rave swear words) all four letter about 12 in a row. :evil: :evil: :evil: I need a Valium. I love this bike but it seem to be one thing after another, Its like that ex girl friend you keep going back to even though you know she is bad for you lol. :cry: Rant ended. :cry:

Don
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby Don » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:34 am

Try to stay away from power parts if you can, they are usually overpriced and under produced. It's the luck of the draw with some things on this bike which is a shame. I've already got adhesive foam strips to go on tonight! Touch wood my luck continues and the bike remains solid.

User avatar
kevxtx
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby kevxtx » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am

So far I now know of 11 tail lights broken the lugs off, best support yours with foam before yours breaks off.

gray rider
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby gray rider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:58 am

Took a look at mine today. All I can say is that this is a big part being held up by two plastic studs and whimpy self tapping screws. I pulled mine off, made a template and used foam that was left over from my Shorai battery to create the needed support. It seems much more solid than the way it started out.

User avatar
kevxtx
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby kevxtx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:06 am

I will do the same when my new tail light arrives one day.

User avatar
Sarasota_Steve
moderator
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm

You know you could use plast-aid to repair the broken tailight tabs right?

See http://www.plast-aid.com. It's really great stuff.

Best of luck,
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

User avatar
Cambo85
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:19 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby Cambo85 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:18 am

When i tried to back the screws out of the plastic lugs they fell to bits :evil: look like duct tape for me!

User avatar
kevxtx
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby kevxtx » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 am

Epoxy & self tapping screws are holding my tail light in place. I got notified yesterday my recall dash bracket has arrived, I will get both done when the tail arrives in a few months time. :roll:

User avatar
jmann
moderator
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 am
Location: Sunny Adelaide, Australia

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby jmann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:54 am

Comrades: Went for a 600km ride over the weekend. Having seen this thread remembered to check mine out. Sure enough one lug broken off.

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:57 am

Cambo85 wrote:When i tried to back the screws out of the plastic lugs they fell to bits :evil: look like duct tape for me!


I found it very hard to get the screws out so I assume that part of the problem is that they are done up too hard at the factory, that besides the crappy design that is.

Epoxy (araldite) holds mine together too and I put a piece of sticky foam under the light to support it from that angle, holds so far.

Been told today warranty claim is approved but parts on backorder....
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am

jmann wrote:Comrades: Went for a 600km ride over the weekend. Having seen this thread remembered to check mine out. Sure enough one lug broken off.


Finally something wrong with yours.... :lol:
Pitty only one lug, you lucky bast.... go and buy a lottery ticket! :wink:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

gray rider
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby gray rider » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 am

As noted earlier I foamed mine to tighten things up but found another issue today as I was replacing my PP tail tidy with the much smaller Yoshi unit. My right turn signal wire was cut nearly through in two places. Signal still worked but the wire fell apart when the signal was removed. With both the PP and Yoshi mounts the wires are exposed so any crap flung up from the road may cause damage. At least it wasn't the taillight so the fix was solder and marine shrink tubing. I also clear filmed my taillight for some insurance against more flung up junk. Winter sucks, we are up to our asses in snow and it was -2 Fahrenheit this morning.

User avatar
MADDOG53
Race ace
 
Posts: 4421
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: USA/ N.E.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby MADDOG53 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm

gray rider wrote:As noted earlier I foamed mine to tighten things up but found another issue today as I was replacing my PP tail tidy with the much smaller Yoshi unit. My right turn signal wire was cut nearly through in two places. Signal still worked but the wire fell apart when the signal was removed. With both the PP and Yoshi mounts the wires are exposed so any crap flung up from the road may cause damage. At least it wasn't the taillight so the fix was solder and marine shrink tubing. I also clear filmed my taillight for some insurance against more flung up junk. Winter sucks, we are up to our asses in snow and it was -2 Fahrenheit this morning.

At least you don't live in Buffalo !
BLACK is BACK

gray rider
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby gray rider » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 am

Do they sell glacier insurance for those poor unfortunates that live in the path of the freak lake effects snow? The snow pile in my driveway center island is only four feet deep, not so bad after all.

crabman
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 pm
Location: Orange City, Florida

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby crabman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Anyone know of an aftermarket taillight with integrated turn signals? I've been searching and haven't found anything.
2014 Black Superduke 1290
2013 Ducati Multistrada1200 Pikes Peak
2010 BMW S1000RR

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:16 pm

crabman wrote:Anyone know of an aftermarket taillight with integrated turn signals? I've been searching and haven't found anything.


Haven't seen one yet, eventually they will pop up.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

crabman
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 pm
Location: Orange City, Florida

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby crabman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 pm

That's what I thought, thanks tho
2014 Black Superduke 1290
2013 Ducati Multistrada1200 Pikes Peak
2010 BMW S1000RR

RiderGary
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Dragging a knee somewhere in the pacific northwet.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby RiderGary » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Add mine to this list :evil: . Exactly 0ne month after the 1-year warranty expired. With so many breaking and considering it's the TAIL LIGHT!, this badly designed tail light assembly should be a KTM recall.
It all started with a Honda 90, Moto Beta 125, CR250, CB175, XS750, KX250, 750F, Ninja 600, GSXR750, ZX7, VTR1000, 200EXC, FJR1300, GSXR750, 500EXC, 1199S, HP4, 1290 SDR?

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:26 pm

RiderGary wrote:Add mine to this list :evil: . Exactly 0ne month after the 1-year warranty expired. With so many breaking and considering it's the TAIL LIGHT!, this badly designed tail light assembly should be a KTM recall.


Warranty expired or not, have a go at getting it replaced under warranty!
There is such a thing that products should last an reasonable amount of time.
For the rear light to only last just over a year is ridiculous and they replace them everywhere else under warranty.

I took mine out of the new bike and put araldite on, had it replaced on the '14 model, they haven't changed the design on the '15 so I put the araldite to avoid the drama again....
I'm too soft but people should just break it and warranty, break it, warranty... repeat till they change the design....
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

RiderGary
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Dragging a knee somewhere in the pacific northwet.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby RiderGary » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm

ktmguy wrote:
RiderGary wrote:Add mine to this list :evil: . Exactly 0ne month after the 1-year warranty expired. With so many breaking and considering it's the TAIL LIGHT!, this badly designed tail light assembly should be a KTM recall.


Warranty expired or not, have a go at getting it replaced under warranty!
There is such a thing that products should last an reasonable amount of time.
For the rear light to only last just over a year is ridiculous and they replace them everywhere else under warranty.

I took mine out of the new bike and put araldite on, had it replaced on the '14 model, they haven't changed the design on the '15 so I put the araldite to avoid the drama again....
I'm too soft but people should just break it and warranty, break it, warranty... repeat till they change the design....

Rode it into dealer's yesterday and removed the duct tape holding it together so he could take a pic to send to KTM NA. Now have to wait and see if it will be replaced at no charge. :?:
It all started with a Honda 90, Moto Beta 125, CR250, CB175, XS750, KX250, 750F, Ninja 600, GSXR750, ZX7, VTR1000, 200EXC, FJR1300, GSXR750, 500EXC, 1199S, HP4, 1290 SDR?

User avatar
Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 am
Location: Chicagoland, IL

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby Turkishexpress » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:55 am

For those of you that have used the foam backing to reinforce the tail light so that it doesn't move up and down as much... what type/size foam did you guys use for best results?
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:25 am

Turkishexpress wrote:For those of you that have used the foam backing to reinforce the tail light so that it doesn't move up and down as much... what type/size foam did you guys use for best results?


I just used two bits of that foam strip with adhesive on one side. Stuck it under the light on the tail tidy to support it.
Also reenforced the part that breaks off with araldite.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests