Tail light broke.

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
abc
Stunt rider

Re: Tail light broke.

Postby abc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:52 am

Turkishexpress wrote:For those of you that have used the foam backing to reinforce the tail light so that it doesn't move up and down as much... what type/size foam did you guys use for best results?

The type = high density flexible foam sheet (think wetsuit rubber type because I can't remember the name). There are pics of the mod on here somewhere - should I say :oops: s e a r c h :oops:
By "size" i assume you mean what thickness = Have a look at the gap when everything is assembled then just stick a few strips around between the gap. You probably only need an extra 1mm in thickness to give enough compressive support. If it seems to hard to compress then just reduce the surface area of the foam strips.
Dont over tighten the mounting screws and you should be ok.
Oh yeh and do what ktmguy said and epoxy around the plastic where it has proven to fail.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 am

ktmguy wrote:
Turkishexpress wrote:For those of you that have used the foam backing to reinforce the tail light so that it doesn't move up and down as much... what type/size foam did you guys use for best results?

I just used two bits of that foam strip with adhesive on one side. Stuck it under the light on the tail tidy to support it.
Also reenforced the part that breaks off with araldite.

Good deal, I will give that a go. When I was installing the tail tidy I noticed how much the tail light moved. The tabs were ok but that much movement can't be good on a twin. Over time I'm sure the tabs will take a crap.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

robby-hk
Minimoto racer

Postby robby-hk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:21 am

Here's a picture of mine.

Tail light is a replacement under warranty. I've braced it with some sort of door sealant adhesive foam, it's like 3mm thick, I put on a few layers to brace the lens and stop it from bouncing up and down, which stresses the plastic screw holders.

1290SDR
Minimoto racer

Postby 1290SDR » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:29 am

I used the weather strip foam on mine but still found mine broken off after this weekend's ride. I think I need something more dense as the foam I used compressed very easily. I will have to explore other options for the new one.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:44 pm

1290SDR wrote:I used the weather strip foam on mine but still found mine broken off after this weekend's ride. I think I need something more dense as the foam I used compressed very easily. I will have to explore other options for the new one.

The only thing that works is put araldite on before you fit the new one.
I did this on the replacement I got under warranty and also when I got the new bike. I rode it home and took the rear light off and put araldite on.

Put the light mountings up.
Slightly roughen the bottom of the plastic mountings where they meet the housing with sand paper so the araldite can grip it better.
Clean.
Mix the stuff and put it round the base of the mountings. It will run down a bit and flatten out, this is fine.

Let it harden out and refit.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

robby-hk
Minimoto racer

Postby robby-hk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:45 am

Hey ktmguy,

Do you mean use araldite to reinforce the actual plastic mounting lugs on the tail light ? That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Got a photo ?

Thanks

Robert

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:56 am

robby-hk wrote:Hey ktmguy,

Do you mean use araldite to reinforce the actual plastic mounting lugs on the tail light ? That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Got a photo ?

Thanks

Robert

Yes, correct.

I didn't take a pic unfortunately but I might take it off and take one this weekend.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

PEZ
Minimoto racer

Postby PEZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 am

Thanks ktmguy, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic myself. But there's a part of me that just wants it to break so that KTM will have to warranty it and maybe fix it permanently if enough are reported!
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
- Full Akrapovic exhaust
- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
- Evotech Performance radiator guard
- TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Pads
- KTM Power Parts seat
- More to come!

1290SDR
Minimoto racer

Postby 1290SDR » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks KTMGuy. I will give the araldite a try. My only concern is if it breaks again before my warranty expires in September they might not replace it again if they find I have "modified" it. It is probably worth the risk. I am almost tempted to run without it and the day before the warranty ends just snap the light off and get another new one.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 am

1290SDR wrote:Thanks KTMGuy. I will give the araldite a try. My only concern is if it breaks again before my warranty expires in September they might not replace it again if they find I have "modified" it. It is probably worth the risk. I am almost tempted to run without it and the day before the warranty ends just snap the light off and get another new one.

If it breaks again, just say you put araldite to hold it together till a new one shows up. It's not like the araldite will make it break easier....

1290SDR
Minimoto racer

Postby 1290SDR » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Good call, that would work. They do not seem to sell Araldite here in the states, am I correct in assuming it is just a 2 part epoxy?

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:51 pm

JB weld or similar.

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 am

1290SDR wrote:Good call, that would work. They do not seem to sell Araldite here in the states, am I correct in assuming it is just a 2 part epoxy?

Yes, loctite has it amongst others.

Sarasota_Steve wrote:JB weld or similar.

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

NO! JB weld is different, more for metal! Just 2 part epoxy, the stuff in the double syringe.

gotswap
Two wheeled terror

Postby gotswap » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Went to pull my back seat to hook up the tender and sure enough, both lugs on mine are snapped. <4k miles and < 2 years old. Are you all having any luck with these getting fixed by KTM or should I go aftermarket route? Any opinions on the blaster-x tail light?
2007 SD, Sold
2015 SDR, loving every minute!

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Mine just broke a week or so ago after a long ride through British Columbia - I swung by the dealer on the way home. Initially he wanted to order a new light - I said whoa -
not at 250+ on me - while I was talking to the owner his son Matt went back there grabbed some longer bolts/screws and fixed it right up. If it doesn't old J B weld here I come.

First issue I've had on 14 Black
08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

Previous

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]