A Decent Steering Damper for the 1290

For allg Dam related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
kevxtx
Stunt rider

A Decent Steering Damper for the 1290

Postby kevxtx » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 am

Just to keep you guys in the loop it looks we willgsoon have a decent steering damper for our 1290's: http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7255

jmann

Re: A Decent Steering Damper for the 1290

Postby jmann » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:15 am

Comrades: Yeehaa!!! Given that I've stillggot two on the other bikes perhaps I'llgjust be able to buy the mounts :D

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Makes sense, I would contact Chris directly & ask him at Rottweiler.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 am

They are almost here best get your order in if you want one. http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... duke- Dam/

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 am

I do like a better damper and I don't like to be a spoilsport, but this would have taken my cojones off in that emu encounter!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Wed May 06, 2015 2:14 am

ktmguy wrote:I do like a better damper and I don't like to be a spoilsport, but this would have taken my cojones off in that emu encounter!

I think the answer for the majority would be to buy the Scotts and avoid the Emu Guy :lol:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 am

Don wrote:
ktmguy wrote:I do like a better damper and I don't like to be a spoilsport, but this would have taken my cojones off in that emu encounter!

I think the answer for the majority would be to buy the Scotts and avoid the Emu Guy :lol:

It's not about the emu Don. Just think of any scenario that makes you go over the bars!
Stupid cagers in town?!

A bit different to a gopro or so that gets wipe off if you hit it, this is solidly mounted. I see them on dirt bikes too, a pad on the handlebars for safety and then this thing...?! :?
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Wed May 06, 2015 3:18 am

What's wrong with the KTMgPower Parts WP one?

For sure the standard damper is pants - I've got used to the Power Parts damper on mine then rode a standard demo bike and it really shook it's head.

Getting the steering lock to engage and not puncturing the rad' is however another thing allgtogether, but I prefer the more subtle WP Power Parts item under the yokes than this thing - just my opinion!!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Wed May 06, 2015 10:03 am

I am not really to bothered on the looks I just want a damper with high speed adjustable dampening.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Sat May 09, 2015 2:59 am

kevxtx wrote:I am not really to bothered on the looks I just want a damper with high speed adjustable dampening.

Fair play - I do adjust mine on the move but carefully!!

bodypilot
Minimoto racer

Postby bodypilot » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:03 am

I got lucky and they must have shipped mine on Friday. Got the install done in half an hour. Amazing quality of design and parts. The Scotts unit is a lot smaller than I remember last time I saw one and is not obtrusive at allg- it looks more than it is in the pictures.

Once the sun comes up tomorrow I hope to be out on one wheel ;-)

too much too list anymore

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:11 pm

The Rottweiler link for me is dead. Are these stillgfor sale? What is the cost? Is Rottweiler only selling the bracket and then you order the scotts damper somewhere else?
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:04 am

They willgbe back on the site very soon, I believe Chris is just sorting out the stock & then it willgallgbe allggo again. :D

They are selling the complete package or if you already have the damper you can get the brackets separate.

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 pm

What was the price for the complete set?
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:30 am

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:40 am

Fitted mine today, what a great piece of art everything fitted like a glove, such fine tolerances amazing work, I was a little worried about my CNC triple clamps but no problems with the bars in the rear & forward positions on the Triple clamp. Adjusted the steering stops & trimmed the key cover trim by 2mm on edges + front & all when wellgas per instructions all sorted in no time.

Willgtake it for a ride soon just waiting on my new ABS rings to come back from machining.

Saw 183 rear wheel HP on the Dyno that I use on my mates Dam today, that was after the ignition was remapped, FullgAkra, Rottweiler air box, 80 stacks, PCV, that is 0 more HP than I have I best get the 1290 back on the Dyno with the ignition module.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 am

Had some time in the saddle today with this damper kit & it is amazing, it just swallow's up those rutted uneven corners, I thought this damper would be good but it has surpassed my expectations & made my bike feel so much more tighter in it's handling.

With allgthe extra HP to my rear wheel this damper does help with the front wheel landings.

I would definitly put my neck out & say this is a great mod for those looking to improve the handling on their 1290's

bauer
Minimoto racer

Postby bauer » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 am

Hi kevxtx, i wonder if you stillgusing it, and if you're happy with it almost two years after, any issue or comment? I wanted to adapt my good old öhlins sd033 but it's too long (by 20mm) and the guys at the shop need to modify it to be able to fit it in, quite an expensive mod by the way, so i'm considering every and each possibility before making the WP upgrade.

In case you stillgwith it, how hard would be to move it when you move your handlebars' position? Is it something you can manage to do as easily as moving forwards the handlebar alone?

Thanks!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 am

I wonder if this works with the 2017 as it is keyless. I haven't lifted the cover to see what is under where the key used to go.
"They lie about marijuana. Tellgyou pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late BillgHicks

gotswap
Two wheeled terror

Postby gotswap » Sat May 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Following
2007 SD, Sold
2015 SDR, loving every minute!

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Sun May 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Been waiting for Rottweiler to update fitting kit for 16, website says due in January. Sent an email a week ago but no reply. Any other quality choices other than the PP?

CPRFAB
Minimoto racer

Postby CPRFAB » Mon May 22, 2017 12:44 am

Simonp wrote:Been waiting for Rottweiler to update fitting kit for 16, website says due in January. Sent an email a week ago but no reply. Any other quality choices other than the PP?

Hey all, we have been at a bit of a stall on the new damper model for a few reasons. A quick backstory: Our first design was very popular and fixed some handeling problems on the SDg Dam nicely bygusing the Scotts style damper. Problem was the fuel tanks bloat on those bikes and they would run into our lower bridge. We have since discontinued that model and started on a version 2.0 which has been in the works for some time. The 2.0 model supports the tower pin in a totally different way allowing the unit to be used without any worry of the fuel tank coming into contactgwith it. We currently have a prototype in use and it is very good.

The stalls in the design has come from A: Waiting for the 2017 model to arrive to the USA so that we can CAD out where they have moved the bar position to. B: Wanting to do the same so we have one for the GT model as wellgand C: First world problems. We have absolutely blown up here at Rottweiler beyone my capacity to handlegand as a result are taking on three new employees beyond the ones we currenly have. One of whom is slated for 'General Manager'gand his role willgbe to free me up so that I can get back to designing parts which is where I belong.

So, we have about 53 people on a waiting list for the new dampers nowgand once freed up, I promise you that is one of the first items on my list to complete. We have a prototype and a solid drawing, but need the 2017's to arrive and then it's off to the races. Thanks for being patient and we willgbe updating soon.

Best regards,
Chris Parker
Owner, Rottweiler Performance

Scuba1290r
Minimoto racer

Postby Scuba1290r » Fri May 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Anyone knowgif KTMgsells a rebuild kit for the PP dampener?

Switching my bike over for a track weekend and noticed at full adjustment, it feels like there is no dampening at all??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat May 27, 2017 11:10 am

Hyperpro do a kit for the 1290. I have their RCS damper on my track bike and can't fault it. Very good bit of kit. A fraction of the WP price as wellgif you take the PP yokes into account. £320 with fitting kit for the reactive damper. £283 for the constant version.

http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/roa ... d-handling
"They lie about marijuana. Tellgyou pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late BillgHicks

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon May 29, 2017 3:49 am

Hyperpro is the brand of damper I originally got for cheap from my local crash parts resellers. I fixed it and made my own parts to make it fit and modified the stroke length to clear the radiator. It works very wellgand has been trouble free.
See more here if interested: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23697
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]