Fuel has started dripping

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
harold
Minimoto racer

Fuel has started dripping

Postby harold » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:23 am

I just got back from Deals Gap, and while there noticed a drip of gas from the left front radiator guard that starts around 10 minutes after riding and then continues forever. This is not related to how much fuel is in the tank. I searched and found threads on the quick disconnect being weak. The bike is still under warranty, but I would like to be able to tell the dealer what part they are likely to need before I take it in. It doesn't seem to leak while riding, but I would imagine if the connection finally broke with the key on it would pump gas everywhere.

crabman
Minimoto racer

Re: Fuel has started dripping

Postby crabman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:01 pm

The other thing to consider is the fuel tank is leaking. I got back from a ride one day and the fuel was dripping on the left side of the motor and looked like at the fuel disconnect. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank due to cracks underneath. My dealer said they have had 3 at that dealer alone and he has heard of more.
2014 Black Superduke 1290
2013 Ducati Multistrada1200 Pikes Peak
2010 BMW S1000RR

hotroder

Postby hotroder » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Yes the dealer has mine right now for this, they have a fuel tank on order.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:43 pm

I took mine in today, so will see what they find. There was also some sign of coolant leakage, but no drips.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 am

The dealer called today, and told my wife the leak was caused by a plastic connection in the fuel line. The replaced it, and then of course said they had to take it for a test drive, even though the gas leaked when it wasn't running. Said it ran fine.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:23 am

I picked the bike up from the dealer yesterday, and the service manager said they found some screws loose on a gasket fitting, not the quick disconnect. I looked at the repair manual, and the only screws I see are the ones holding the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank.

For those of you that have removed their fuel tank, what do you think this could have been, and if it is screws getting loose that thread into plastic, what would keep them from doing this again?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:12 am

harold wrote:I picked the bike up from the dealer yesterday, and the service manager said they found some screws loose on a gasket fitting, not the quick disconnect. I looked at the repair manual, and the only screws I see are the ones holding the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank.

For those of you that have removed their fuel tank, what do you think this could have been, and if it is screws getting loose that thread into plastic, what would keep them from doing this again?

Never seen them getting loose by themselves. My guess would be not done up properly at the factory.
That plastic seems to grip the screw kinda like the nylon bit on a nyloc nut. Doesn't turn out by itself like metal to metal.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

xteammike
Minimoto racer

Postby xteammike » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 pm

My bikes at the dealer right now due to leaking gas tank. There is a threaded insert on the underside of the tank that goes to nothing. But gas would leak around it when it got warm out. Ktm is replacing the tank even though it is past the one year warranty. Hell, they better be for an issue like this.

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:08 am

harold wrote:I picked the bike up from the dealer yesterday, and the service manager said they found some screws loose on a gasket fitting, not the quick disconnect. I looked at the repair manual, and the only screws I see are the ones holding the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank.

There are four screws for the fuel pump assembly and two screws for the gas level assembly. I noticed a gas smell in the garage and discovered it was coming from the the underside of the back of the tank on my 1290. Pulled the tank and all the screws seemed to be snug enough. Tightened them a bit more but not much and put everything back together. Seems to still be leaking. Could be a hairline crack in the tank. Going to the dealer on the 18th! I have had the bike over a year with zero issues. I also have an extended warranty so should be OK no matter what.

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Fuel has started dripping - RECALL

Postby 2014_SDR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:19 am

I’ve just had a phone call from my KTM Dealer, there is an official KTM recall to check “a threaded insert on the fuel tank”.

xteammike
Minimoto racer

Postby xteammike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Mine was leaking from the threaded insert. Had the tank replaced a few weeks ago.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: Fuel has started dripping - RECALL

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:36 pm

2014_SDR wrote:I’ve just had a phone call from my KTM Dealer, there is an official KTM recall to check “a threaded insert on the fuel tank”.

+1

There is an official recall!

If you have a tank where you can see an additional hole at the back where the seat goes besides the 2 mounting points for the seat your dealer should contact you or ring them if they don't.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:51 am

is it only 2014 models ?

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:32 pm

My tank has that little hole. It does not appear to be leaking from there. I got one of the first 2014 models to arrive in town. Looking forward to riding a bike that is not a fire hazard! Won't see the dealer until the 18th though. Until then I have siphoned most of the gas out of the tank and am not riding the bike.

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm

I have not been told by my dealer to stop riding my 1290 just come and get it checked. Mine was one of the first three my dealer sold in December 2013 but I don’t think it’s a case that the earlier the bike the more likely there is a problem. After 18 months and 10k miles I would think the problem would have come to light before now if mine was affected, but I wait for the dealer to prove me wrong.

PEZ
Minimoto racer

Postby PEZ » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:43 pm

lc4 wrote:is it only 2014 models ?

I'd like to know also, does this apply to the '15s or only the '14s?
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
- Full Akrapovic exhaust
- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
- Evotech Performance radiator guard
- TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Pads
- KTM Power Parts seat
- More to come!

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:43 pm

PEZ wrote:
lc4 wrote:is it only 2014 models ?

I'd like to know also, does this apply to the '15s or only the '14s?

I would also like to know. I have noticed after rides, a small pool has formed under the left front radiator area (where the drain hoses are). My buddy told me it maybe because the Coolant was overfilled, but the reservoir is in the middle.
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:45 pm

It's supposed to be only early '14 models as during '14 the tank manufacturer changed the way the tank was made.

I have the printout here but the picture is to crappy printed to scan it in again. I'll see if I can get a emailed version so I can post it up.
Only the tanks that have that visible hole that is covered by the front of the seat are affected.

If it drips out the hose on the front left near the radiator it is also possible that you spilled some fuel while filling up as that's the overflow.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 am

BrandonH wrote:I would also like to know. I have noticed after rides, a small pool has formed under the left front radiator area (where the drain hoses are). My buddy told me it maybe because the Coolant was overfilled, but the reservoir is in the middle.

ktmguy wrote:If it drips out the hose on the front left near the radiator it is also possible that you spilled some fuel while filling up as that's the overflow.

Both the coolant header tank overflow hose and the fuel tank overflow hose exit at the left hand side of the radiator. It will be obvious which fluid is overflowing by the smell.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:18 pm

DMacL wrote:
BrandonH wrote:I would also like to know. I have noticed after rides, a small pool has formed under the left front radiator area (where the drain hoses are). My buddy told me it maybe because the Coolant was overfilled, but the reservoir is in the middle.

ktmguy wrote:If it drips out the hose on the front left near the radiator it is also possible that you spilled some fuel while filling up as that's the overflow.

Both the coolant header tank overflow hose and the fuel tank overflow hose exit at the left hand side of the radiator. It will be obvious which fluid is overflowing by the smell.

Its coolant. I have an appt tomorrow to have it looked at. Better to be safe than sorry.
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:50 am

KTMGUY,

Where is this hole in relation to the 2 mounting bolts? I have a hole with a threaded insert on the left side above the mounting bolts, that the seat covers up when on. Seems an odd place to put a machine thread screw insert on this bike, since nothing could screw into it with the seat on. There is no evidence of any leakage.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:12 am

harold wrote:KTMGUY,

Where is this hole in relation to the 2 mounting bolts? I have a hole with a threaded insert on the left side above the mounting bolts, that the seat covers up when on. Seems an odd place to put a machine thread screw insert on this bike, since nothing could screw into it with the seat on. There is no evidence of any leakage.

That's the one! left hand side slightly above the bolt to attach the seat.
There is another one underside of the tank underneath the insulation, only visible when tank is removed and insulation peeled back.
Newer model tanks don't have this at all.

You should get a call from your dealer, if not ring them.

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 am

I bet the one under the tank is leaking on my bike. The left back panel of insulation has detached due to gas contamination.

catalonia
Minimoto racer

Postby catalonia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Would be interesting a "hole" pic if somebody has it
SD1290 R 2014, Ready for this?

catalonia
Minimoto racer

Postby catalonia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am

not needed! can see it on facebook in club ktm 1290 superduke R, thanks!
:D

Mine is 2014 but not affected because I haven't the left side hole announced on the fuel tank
SD1290 R 2014, Ready for this?

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]