Fuel has started dripping

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
harold
Minimoto racer

Re: Fuel has started dripping

Postby harold » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm

This is the threaded hole in my tank, but it wasn't leaking from there. Went to the dealer last week, and he said it could be a few weeks before any recall would show up. Dynoed at 148 hp, as they had a free dyno day for their open house.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:48 pm

harold wrote:This is the threaded hole in my tank, but it wasn't leaking from there. Went to the dealer last week, and he said it could be a few weeks before any recall would show up. Dynoed at 148 hp, as they had a free dyno day for their open house.

Your dealer is very slack! The recall has been out and well documented by now. I have the paper from my dealer sitting here for two weeks now. And since then the notification has been in the KTM dealers computer.

It doesn't leak from that hole, there is a similar hole at the underside behind the sound proofing and it's there that it leaks as that is a lower point.

Can't see what the problem is to fix it neither.... It's a safety recall, did I mention safety?!
it's either fitting 2 plugs in the holes (30 mins or something) or replacing the tank depending on the situation.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Took my bike to the dealer this morning. They had gotten the recall notice in the last couple of days. I glanced over it but was not allowed to photograph or copy it. Bottom line, as others may have already mentioned, if the tank is leaking then it needs to be replaced. If if is not leaking they have a kit for the tank which looks like two screws with a rubber washer type thing that seals off that area so it will not leak in the future. The leaking tanks need to be replaced probably because the leak ruins the foam sound deadening material on the underside of the tank that covers the 2nd threaded insert that is the one that starts leaking.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for the clarification, it was not very clear in the documents ktm sent me via certified mail.
I have had a very faint intermittent smell of fuel that i have been chasing for a long time, i will now check behind the sound insulation under the tank.
I don't know why ktm just didn't say exactly where the issue is, instead of all this hassle of taking it back to the dealer………
thanks anyway
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:05 am

The sound insulation under the tank can be ordered separately.

Wonder if the rough underside of the tank is less resistant to fuel than the inside of the tank?

alpine*
Minimoto racer

Postby alpine* » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:54 pm

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 pm

Got my bike back with the new tank. All good. Glad KTM stepped up and dealt with this. Now, about that water in the rear hub......

PEZ
Minimoto racer

Postby PEZ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:29 pm

The dealer plugged my 2 holes yesterday on my '15. They were actually surprised that mine had the threaded holes, since it was a '15. I guess I got an old tank! Oh well, I was kind of glad that it wasn't replaced because I just installed TechSpec tank pads a while back!
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
- Full Akrapovic exhaust
- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
- Evotech Performance radiator guard
- TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Pads
- KTM Power Parts seat
- More to come!

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:12 am

I had mine in at the dealer yesterday (its a may 14 bike) and they said the holes has been factory plugged so no leak and no work required :D
They did, however discover that my right hand engine case has a pin hole in it which is the cause of my minor oil leak so a new one is on order without question.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

gblack
Minimoto racer

Postby gblack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 pm

How long did it take for your dealers to get the tank in? Mine has been sitting for over a week now waiting for the tank to come in. If anything hopefully my dealer will be cool about loading the akra map when I get my exhaust.... I haven't asked yet if they charge for that.

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 pm

My tank came within a week, but then the inner foam for it was not included and they ruined an o-ring removing the fuel pump from the old tank. Total time in the shop was 2 weeks.

As I understand it, if you buy the full Akra system then the map should be included. So if you bought the full system from the dealer they should not charge extra to load the map.

gblack
Minimoto racer

Postby gblack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:28 am

Turned out they didn't replace the tank as they originally told me but they installed the two plugs.

I asked about the map and they said they would do it but charge $100 for labour (I'm going to use this with an Austin Racing exhaust and didn't purchase the Akra)

oldfuddy
Minimoto racer

Fuel has started dripping

Postby oldfuddy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:04 pm

$100 for a map? Dang, my dealer told me $40 labour for any map I choose after I de-cat. As for fuel leaking, nothing yet for mine. Lucky I guess.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:22 pm

gblack wrote:Turned out they didn't replace the tank as they originally told me but they installed the two plugs.

I asked about the map and they said they would do it but charge $100 for labour (I'm going to use this with an Austin Racing exhaust and didn't purchase the Akra)

Woooooah! $100 bucks!!! It only takes 5 min to do and the 10 min reset they can do something else!
I didn't got charged, purchased a new $$$ bike there and such, bit of proper service which is much appreciated.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 am

ktmguy wrote:
gblack wrote:Turned out they didn't replace the tank as they originally told me but they installed the two plugs.

Woooooah! $100 bucks!!! It only takes 5 min to do and the 10 min reset they can do something else!
I didn't got charged, purchased a new $$$ bike there and such, bit of proper service which is much appreciated.

I was charged £49.00 for the remap and that was at the same time as the annual service, tank recall and oil leak inspection :shock:
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

alienbeing
Minimoto racer

Postby alienbeing » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 am

Hi, I found this thread as the title is identical to the issue I have with mine. At first I thought it was a little fuel leaking from the overflow tube, but it does not stop and appears to be running down the engine. I have a 2014 and have never had a recall for it.

I thought it was leaking from the engine at the bottom of the rear cylinder, but then I saw that the fuel stain extends upwards. have not found the source but I guess now I know - thank you! Will contact my dealer ASAP.

BTW - at the base of the cylinder under the rear header, there is what appears to be a metal gasket that appears to be sticking out - maybe for access, since it does have two circlip type holes - is it meant to look like that?!

Cheers,
Alien

Previous

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]