RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Oupy
Minimoto racer

Re: RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

Postby Oupy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks mate i will try this at the dealer next week.
Should i do the 10 minute reset straight after they do it too?

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Yes
2014 1290 73K miles

Rozz
Minimoto racer

Postby Rozz » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 am

Hi all,

Indeed a long time ago since i last posted here....today i finally went to the dealer and performed all needed software updates...only did that in 2014 when the Akra went on and installed the map.
Watched the mechanic perform the updates...asked a question about the hanging rpm`s and talked about how i mechanically synced the TB`s...you should have seen his face!!!! as if the devil himself stood in front of him...how the hell could i have done that!!

After debating a while (=me getting the full load from him...) and saying that i`m not your typical client and am an Aircraft Engineer so i DO have a technical background, he finally showed me the 2 vacuum sensors via the KTM laptop.
The front cilinder shows a difference of 30mbars lower than the rear cilinder, which is exactly the same i saw when i perfromed the TB syncing with my mercury vacuum gages, he says KTM does this so the bike doesnt shut-off when rapidly braking to a standstill for the lights.
Mechanic does indeed say this unbalance effects power output. (FYI: his KTM mechanics course tells him to keep off the TB`s whatsever!!)

So my question is still there....should i balance the carbs mechanically, as they are now or do a true vacuum balance.
I did notice that riding home after the update the idle rpm is a little bit lower then before the update, so i`m thinking of finding the middle ground betwwen mech and vacuum syncing...hoping to get best of both worlds...

Any comments??

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am

KTM and dealer mechanics said/say same thing about 990 TB - some (most?) of us here have ignored that and balanced TB with improved, not detrimental, effect.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Previous

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]