RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
rm2092
Minimoto racer

RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

Postby rm2092 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 pm

First I'll start by saying that my bike is completely stock with no mods except for a slip on exhaust.

First I'll start with I had a SC-Projects exhaust installed for a short time with the factory cat installed and had no issues with the RPM's hanging until I installed a Austin Racing GP3 slip on exhaust with the cat removed and I did keep the insert in the link pipe since the bike has not been tuned which according to there site no tune is required with the insert in place. The problem I'm having is even after I did the 10 minute idle reset when first installed my RPM's hang at 2-3k for a few seconds then drops to normal idle. Again the bike is all stock so whats going on here and why is it only happening with this exhaust when it never did it with the SC-Projects exhaust ?

Thanks.....
2015 1290 Superduke, New Orleans La.
MODS: AustinRACING GP3/V3 Exhaust, RACEFOXX carbonfiber front fender.

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Re: RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

Postby Oupy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm

There seems to be way too many people having this issue to be a coincidence, I have had the same issue since modifying my bike. The supposed fix is to have the dealer reset adaptive parameters using the KTM diagnostic tool and do the 10 min reset, unfortunately this has not worked with my bike.

Apparently can also be a oil temp sensor fault, i have been waiting over a month now for my dealer to get this part in to see if it fixes the issue.

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:26 pm

Mine used to do that alot - and sometimes up as high as 4 k rpm.
i started to wonder if it had something to do with the system that's responsible for the high idle ( then drop ) at start up. Used to drive me krazy - nothing like going into a turn hot expecting engine braking to find the bikes surging forward under power.

Haven't been having the problem for some time now though. Occasionally i'll get the hang at 2k instead of engine dropping to idle but that is not so bad . It clears up on it's own while riding on mine.

not much help - sorry.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Moisture in the BGC. Carry over issue from the 990.

rm2092
Minimoto racer

Postby rm2092 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Sorry what's the BGC ?
2015 1290 Superduke, New Orleans La.
MODS: AustinRACING GP3/V3 Exhaust, RACEFOXX carbonfiber front fender.

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 pm

rm2092 wrote:Sorry what's the BGC ?

BGC is the big gray connectors under the gas tank

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:24 am

Lowrance wrote:Moisture in the BGC. Carry over issue from the 990.

No mate not this time!!!!
:lol:

See my post here!
http://superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23594&p=315056#p315056
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 pm

ktmguy wrote:

See my post here!

That's a different problem Guy.....revs taking a few seconds to return to normal idle (similar to a vacuum leak) is completely different than revs hanging between 3-4k rpm continuously but randomly......in my experience of course.

If any of you experiencing this issue live in the LA area, I would be happy to help you try and sort it out.

Cheers

Just re-read the posts...think you are right Guy. This appears to be a new issue (similar to vacuum leak). If anyone's bike has randomm intermittent hanging idle that does not slowly return to idle (requiring you to shut key off and cycle power to correct it)......this is the BGC issue.

Cheers Cheers

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Lowrance wrote:
ktmguy wrote:

See my post here!

That's a different problem Guy.....revs taking a few seconds to return to normal idle (similar to a vacuum leak) is completely different than revs hanging between 3-4k rpm continuously but randomly......in my experience of course.

If any of you experiencing this issue live in the LA area, I would be happy to help you try and sort it out.

Cheers

Just re-read the posts...think you are right Guy. This appears to be a new issue (similar to vacuum leak). If anyone's bike has randomm intermittent hanging idle that does not slowly return to idle (requiring you to shut key off and cycle power to correct it)......this is the BGC issue.

Cheers Cheers

It's only on the 1290 bud and it's nothing to do with previous issues on the 990.
From what I think it could be a temp sensor as the mixture stays very rich (12.5) despite the engine warming up. I tried it from cold yesterday and kept an eye on it. Even with the engine fully warm it still ran 12.9 at idle.
As soon as I dialed some fuel out it idles better and the issue is gone.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am

Have updated the other thread http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23594 with the following information:

New oil temp sensor fitted today
Reset Adaptive Parameters
10 min reset

Issue still persists.
Bike is now running worse than before, drives itself at low rpm and is super stuttery on deceleration.

So i guess we can rule that out as the fix to this issue. Wondering what to do next?

dflowers
Two wheeled terror

Postby dflowers » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Have you tried putting the stock exhaust back on the bike?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 pm

dflowers wrote:Have you tried putting the stock exhaust back on the bike?

Mine still had the original exhaust on it when it did it.
I'm looking in to it further this week with the dealer as it getting worse, to the extend that riding in street mode is impossible.
I normally ride in sport and it's not too bad, just out of curiosity I tried street...horror!

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:26 am

What differences do you notice between the 2 modes guy? I normally have mine in street mode.

Does a throttle calibrarion have any effect on the 1290? Ignition on, bike not started, wind on gradually then wind off?

Would also be keen to know if the bike has to be stone cold for the 10 minute reset to work correctly? I know for a fact the bike would not have been fully cooled off when the dealer would have attempted the adaptive parameters reset and 10 min idle after the oil temp sensor replacement.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 am

Oupy wrote:What differences do you notice between the 2 modes guy? I normally have mine in street mode.

Does a throttle calibrarion have any effect on the 1290? Ignition on, bike not started, wind on gradually then wind off?

Would also be keen to know if the bike has to be stone cold for the 10 minute reset to work correctly? I know for a fact the bike would not have been fully cooled off when the dealer would have attempted the adaptive parameters reset and 10 min idle after the oil temp sensor replacement.

It's way worse in street mode, on sport it's not as bad, in street there is hardly any engine braking. Can't even blip the throttle in street, takes seconds to drop back down to idle.
I even checked if nothing fooled the flies, all good.

The bike doesn't need to be cold to do the 10 min reset( as per manual). The adaptive parameters need to be cleared with the diagnostic tool however to have the full effect.

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:58 am

Could this have anything to do with the 02 optimizers? They seem to be a constant among all yhose with issues.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 am

Oupy wrote:Could this have anything to do with the 02 optimizers? They seem to be a constant among all yhose with issues.

Nope, as mentioned before it still had the complete exhaust on it with working O2 sensors and all when it started. Only changed the air filter.
My '14 did it once with all the stuff on it, PCV, Rotty, exhaust O2 sensors, SAS plates. Did the reset at the dealer and it was gone.
Checked a few things today when I had the time, the clamps holding rubbers for the throttle bodies and inlet manifold where pretty loose.
I tighten them and I ride it tomorrow to the dealer, this will give me a before and after reset situation.
See what happens.

Shawn verkerk
Minimoto racer

Postby Shawn verkerk » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:11 am

I have same issue ! My bike has been at the dealer for 8weeks now!im really looking for help like the dealership they can't even figure it out?!even the main Ktm dealer techs in Idaho are stumped!. My bike one started goes right to 4000 rpm and stays there. Once warm might come down to 2500-3500.riding is a bitch. In 1st gear she used to idle at 11 mph now it's 30mph ?! They put new plugs in, did the reset,10min idle ,replace front tps,then the whole throttle body! But still the same! I read on here to check the big grey connection I asked them to do it but I'll find out more tomorrow!. On the Ktm diagnostic tool the front cylinder is below idle and the rear cylinder is above idle to try and balance out the low idling front cylinder! Here is the best part! Lol she only has 1030miles on it???????!!!!! I have the full Austin racing exhaust,sas removed and Arko map.before this mess she goes like a bat out of hell! I have the Rottweiler intake with two 80 mm stacks with the canister delete and Pcv and auto tune with map switch all waiting for Ktm dealers to fix this shitty problem!i really want to see how all this stuff unleashes the beast!
PLEASE ANYONE of you can help it would greatly be apresiated!ill be putting up pics as soon as I figure out how! Thanks everyone!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:26 am

OK update!
Me and the tech (a good one) looked in to it rather extensively today. It's not solved but we are getting closer to figure out why it does this.
problem is the tech is away next week with the diagnostic tool so in that regards I'm stuck for a week.

Results so far:
All sensors and other parts are fine following the diagnostic tool. We ran the checks several times.
The adaptive parameters and 10 min reset doesn't make a difference.
The engine doesn't run excessively rich or lean so that is normal too.
Fly by wire throttle voltages are correct and flies seem to close properly.
It does it on original and akra map, the map doesn't make any difference.
It seems worse when the engine is cold.

I don't have time on the weekend but next week I will take the tank off and go trough everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure all hoses, wires, clamps, connectors etc are fine.
Will also do more test where I don't need the KTM tool for.

I have a faint idea now what causes this but I won't confirm anything till I had a proper look. Will take a few days but I'll get to the bottom of this as it's most annoying!
I normally run a lot of engine braking and now I have to brake harder or pull the clutch to prevent it rolling on.

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the update Guy. In regards to your possible theory 2 questions.

1. Do you have an idea what may be the cause of this issue?

2. If it is what you are thinking will it be a minor or major peice of work to fix?

Cheers

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:35 pm

ktmguy wrote:OK update!
Me and the tech (a good one) looked in to it rather extensively today. It's not solved but we are getting closer to figure out why it does this.
problem is the tech is away next week with the diagnostic tool so in that regards I'm stuck for a week.

Results so far:
All sensors and other parts are fine following the diagnostic tool. We ran the checks several times.
The adaptive parameters and 10 min reset doesn't make a difference.
The engine doesn't run excessively rich or lean so that is normal too.
Fly by wire throttle voltages are correct and flies seem to close properly.
It does it on original and akra map, the map doesn't make any difference.
It seems worse when the engine is cold.

I don't have time on the weekend but next week I will take the tank off and go trough everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure all hoses, wires, clamps, connectors etc are fine.
Will also do more test where I don't need the KTM tool for.

I have a faint idea now what causes this but I won't confirm anything till I had a proper look. Will take a few days but I'll get to the bottom of this as it's most annoying!
I normally run a lot of engine braking and now I have to brake harder or pull the clutch to prevent it rolling on.

Hmm....this is starting to sound a little familiar...

Good luck with the trouble shooting...sincerely.
Last edited by Lowrance on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Oupy wrote:If it is what you are thinking will it be a minor or major peice of work to fix?

If it's what I'm thinking its cheap to fix but the fix requires more than just a look....it requires one to do a little work.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Secondary butterflies all set OK?

Fuel pump and fuel pressure all OK??

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:53 pm

ma1290rky wrote:Secondary butterflies all set OK?

Fuel pump and fuel pressure all OK??

1290 forum => no secondary butterflies.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ? FIXED!!

Postby ktmguy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:40 am

OK FIXED

First the rant!!!
F you to KTM for their shit workmanship and quality control!
F you to all shitty plonkers calling themselves mechanics!

Rant over! :lol:

Took me exactly two hours to fix it including the test ride.
Took the tank off and inspected wiring and so on, nothing loose, disconnected or abnormal.
Checked the butterflies and could see with the naked eye they are miles out!! (2mm at wot to be exact)
Using 2x12mm drill of the same diametre as a gauge (yes I know but the shafts are not and I didn't had anything else the same) I balanced the flies.

Put it back together..... Test ride! All good, smoother, plenty of engine braking and idle spot on!! WTF people!
Tell your dealer to balance the flies, took about half a turn clockwise on the adjuster screw to fix it.

PM me for my paypal for beer money and can I finally get a job at KTM now!?

EDIT.
This is how far they are out, not solid measuring due to the fact that humans only have 2 hands but you get the idea.
In the last picture I use the same size drills as a go no go caliper. Both drills are 12mm drills, measured on the shaft they are withing 0.02 mm off. (11.94 and 11.96mm)
Also in the last pic you see the arrow where the adjustment screw is. Left is the front of the bike right in the picture is rear. Screw is on the rear throttle body right hand side (torx bit).
To adjust use the front cyl as a template not the rear (like in the pic) as there is some play in the linkage!
So stick your caliper (here the drill) in the front fly and adjust the rear to the same size by using the screw.
Get it pretty much the same and trow it all back together. Job done!!!
The dealer can do it with the diagnostic tool too but since it needs access to the screw it is easier to do it like I did it.

Shawn verkerk
Minimoto racer

Postby Shawn verkerk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:17 am

Sweet buddy! I'm going to get my Ktm guys to check the flys! At this point anything is worth a try! Thank ktmguy !

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]