RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
murphc13
Stunt rider

Re: RPM'S Hangs around 2-3k why ?

Postby murphc13 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:51 am

10s is ten seconds into the video.
Thanks for the info.
If it gets better after time then that may makes sense as I've got it pretty bang on with the calipers.
But a few guys reckon it is spot on immediately....soooo....who's to know what is true?

Dale
Minimoto racer

Postby Dale » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 pm

murphc13 wrote:10s is ten seconds into the video.
Thanks for the info.
If it gets better after time then that may makes sense as I've got it pretty bang on with the calipers.
But a few guys reckon it is spot on immediately....soooo....who's to know what is true?

I think both can be true.
I don't think you can get spot on doing a mechanical balance of the butterflies, unless all other factors are spot on. Casting differences in the intakes and differences in the valve clearances, in particular, are going to affect air draw. I think to get spot on you'd need to do a balance measuring vacuum draw. However, as was said, it's pretty darn close. Adaptive parameters should be able to make the final adjustments and it doesn't seem to be necessary to reset the adaptive parameters for it to work. That procedure seems to be a way to just start over with a clean slate. It might be qicker, but with a few rides the parameters seem to adapt anyway. At least that's my take on it. I was going to do mine again to get it closer like you did, but came to find it wasn't necessary. The bike is running better than when I got it and I didn't spend the summer in the dealers shop.
KTM 07 SD, 11 RC8, 14 SD (& a few others)

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 pm

I think both can be true.
I don't think you can get spot on doing a mechanical balance of the butterflies, unless all other factors are spot on. Casting differences in the intakes and differences in the valve clearances, in particular, are going to affect air draw. I think to get spot on you'd need to do a balance measuring vacuum draw. However, as was said, it's pretty darn close. Adaptive parameters should be able to make the final adjustments and it doesn't seem to be necessary to reset the adaptive parameters for it to work. That procedure seems to be a way to just start over with a clean slate. It might be qicker, but with a few rides the parameters seem to adapt anyway. At least that's my take on it. I was going to do mine again to get it closer like you did, but came to find it wasn't necessary. The bike is running better than when I got it and I didn't spend the summer in the dealers shop.[/quote]

Well said mate.I've come to the conclusion also that its pretty close and ill be content with that.I just wanted it spot on for the dyno tune coming soon.
Thanks for sharing

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:02 am

I did the butterfly check today even though I haven't had a big idle hang problem. After measuring, my fly's were within 0.25mm and I readjusted them to within 0.05mm.
So it seems like some bikes fly's are set at the factory closer than others. I wont reset the parameters and will wait and see if the small difference in balance makes any difference.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Shawn verkerk
Minimoto racer

Postby Shawn verkerk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:39 am

Wicked got my bike back last week!. 3 1/2 months. So the stuck idle at 4000 rpm is fixed ! Now I get it home and take it all apart to install rotti box ,Pcv,and auto tune. So I check the flys and yup.....brand new throttle body they are out ! Thanks Ktm guy! Got her fixed!. But wait this gets good! I was showing the wife what I was doing and she says "what's that?" I look and you've got to be kidding??? With throttle wide open looking into 1st flys,down on the bottom where valve seat is a big old chunk of rubber with foam on it. I fished it out and it looks like it's been there for a while! Chewed up from valve and stinking like fuel. So I totally called up the mechanic and tore him a new one . He wanted my address to come to my place and see what it was. Really!!! Sorry buddy have to go to the top with this one seriously!sorry guys for ranting! But I got her all cleaned up and tomorrow I'll get auto tune wired in and get her back together!.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:17 am

Holy fookin shit!!

jmann

Postby jmann » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Comrade: Is it possible it's been there all along?

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 am

That sucks! Keep us posted on the outcome!
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

Wirinfrenzy
Minimoto racer

Postby Wirinfrenzy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Hello. I just did this to mine and it seems to have cured the hanging up at 2000-3000 rpm. It does idle differently now though. Like others have said.

TrigunVS
Minimoto racer

Postby TrigunVS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:12 am

Anyone have pictures of what screws are to adjust the throttle sync? Any pictures I been trying to find guide or pictures of show where adjuster is no luck Just installed Rottweiler stage 3 intake with stage 3 sas removal ran the new yellow clear tubing for easier adjustment for syncing. Got the bing hanging Around 2100 for few secs then it drops notice a few guys have similar problems by is a 2015 SD 1290

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 am

TrigunVS wrote:Anyone have pictures of what screws are to adjust the throttle sync? Any pictures I been trying to find guide or pictures of show where adjuster is no luck Just installed Rottweiler stage 3 intake with stage 3 sas removal ran the new yellow clear tubing for easier adjustment for syncing. Got the bing hanging Around 2100 for few secs then it drops notice a few guys have similar problems by is a 2015 SD 1290

Page 2 of this tread buddy!
Not an arrow on it but it's the yellow painted one right hand top of right butterfly (rear).
http://superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25461&start=25#p316135
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

TrigunVS
Minimoto racer

Postby TrigunVS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:46 am

Okay sweet KTM guy gonna try this later today after I install my Competition Werkes exhaust!

TrigunVS
Minimoto racer

Postby TrigunVS » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:07 am

I had RPM hang on my 2015 SDR fresh out of the crate did the Rottweiler Stage 3 and SAS Stage 3 also PCV had made it worse luckily came across KTMguy post had to turn the screw about 1/4 turn fixed my problem!! Bike is insane now! So much smoother thanks for posting fix!

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 am

Just read through this post after noticing that my bike does pretty much the same except it just does it when its hot. as it warms up, if you blip the throttle it returns rapidly like it should but once its warmed up I have the same symptoms as listed here.
Did the people that adjusted the flies have the problem only when it was hot or when it was cold too?
This is what mine looks & sounds like

Video of revs while still warming up

https://youtu.be/zwvvHqeR1_8

The revs come down clean and the motor sounds crisp on the return

Video of revs when warmed up

https://youtu.be/WfEnW8BnpuU

As you can see & hear from the second video the revs have started to hang once the engine has warmed up and it is no longer as crisp on the return.

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Set the throttle butterflies, they were out and I hope I got them a bit closer than they were.

Tried the bike and it still hangs when its hot.

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:08 am

Did this today while I was doing the Stebel airhorn install and wanted to check the clearances. I used 10mm (~9.6mm measured on both) drill bit bases instead of the 12mm you used and the tolerances were pretty close. I wasn't having any issues with idle but wanted to check anyway while I was in there. However, I did notice that while at wot the clearances had more of a discrepancy than the much tighter clearance while using the drill bit bases at partial throttle. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way but I figured it was close enough.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

MishMash
Minimoto racer

Postby MishMash » Thu May 19, 2016 3:46 pm

I did the rotweiler stage 3 install deleted the canister and also added Power commander and had dyno done. The bike revs up about 1500 rpm from idle once I put it in gear however once it's in neutral the revs go back down. I've tried to search on this forum and not coming across a similar issue but perhaps it's a case of the revs hanging as with others

MishMash
Minimoto racer

Postby MishMash » Thu May 19, 2016 4:21 pm

read entire post will try adjust flies and see what happens it appear this is the best only solution much appreciated.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm

MishMash Aprilia man?

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 pm

I thought the same.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:01 am

mrossk wrote:I thought the same.

It must be.....welcome to the dark side of the moon:)

bmxbash
Minimoto racer

Postby bmxbash » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi, my bike was running amazing, I install Sas plates, kyn air filtre and SC CRT decat exahust and the bike was running good but after remap with the akrapovic map my bike have the problem with rpm hang out 2k-3k, the dealer tell me that this is a problem for the exahust, ok put back the original exahust remap with the original map, and the problem is the same, ok now I removed the tank and i make the balance with 1/2 turn in the bolt paint in yellow next to rear cilinder the bike dont have the issue with hang out, but my dealer tell me that the bolts with yellow paint is not possible to touch to adjust. Now my bike do not have the problem with hang out but the bike do not sound as before, sound like a harley .... This problem is killing me! Pleas help me the dealer do not know how to fix the problem, try restet adaptative parameters, 10 minutes idel, change the map and the bike do not run and sound as before

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:25 am

Comrade bmxbash: There's a slight problem with understanding what you are referring to. Why don't you post a picture of the bolt you've adjusted so that the other comrade's can see. On the surface a re-map shouldn't need anything adjusted although others have noted the butterfly issue. You are saying that the bike was running well after the SAS plates were taken off but before the remap aren't you?

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:47 am

BMX - are the revs hunting at idle? (Ie going up and down a bit?)

I found (and others I believe) that my idle was a bit lumpy after balancing the butterfly's, but the hanging was gone and all other operation of the bike felt good. It was a fair trade off, I'm guessing the balance must be so very slightly out, but its a hell of a lot better than it was before.

bmxbash
Minimoto racer

Postby bmxbash » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm

My bike is a 1290 superduke 2016, the idel is correct, the problem is when the RPMs drops, on the other hand, turn the bolt to fix the problem is the best option?? Becuase this can affect to the vacuum of each cylinder and must be the same...

PreviousNext

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]