1290 Drive Train

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
coach
Minimoto racer

1290 Drive Train

Postby coach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am

Hello

1290 Superduke (6,000mls)

Not sure If I've done this right or not (attachment below)

I've tried the search and couldn't find anything like this but I'm looking for anyone that has come across the same problem.

The pics show bits of 'O' Ring sticking out of the drive chain & the video shows the play between the rear sprocket and the cush drive (not between the chain and the sprocket) Its hard to see the play on the video but you can hear it.

The bike has only got 6,000 miles on it and this started long before now.

The bike is in the dealers tomorrow for the fuel tank recall so see what they say about that. Seems to be a lot of wear for a few miles especially the 'O' rings in the chain, I've never seen them do this before.

[imghttp://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/McGill00/1290%20Drive%20Train/IMG_0180.jpg][/img]
[img][http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/McGill00/1290%20Drive%20Train/IMG_0175.jpg/img]

http://vid179.photobucket.com/albums/w2 ... Rattle.mp4

ken_k
Minimoto racer

Re: 1290 Drive Train

Postby ken_k » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:31 pm

How often do you clean and lube your chain? What do you use to clean and lube the chain?

cheeheese
Two wheeled terror

Postby cheeheese » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Looks to be the exact same problems as Tete and Abc. Found it on the first search.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25562&p=317224&hilit=chain#p317224

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:57 pm

ken_k wrote:How often do you clean and lube your chain? What do you use to clean and lube the chain?

Depends on where I have been and if it was dusty or raining when I was out or if I washed the bike. It always gets a full clean & lube after a washing.

Its wiped over with a cloth either soaked with white paraffin or WD40 then dried with another cloth then greased up with Cal Guard Clear Chain Lube.

Everything I use is 'O' Ring friendly and the chain is never left to go dry

I've had road bikes for 40 years and never seen this happen to a chain since they introduced 'O' Ring chains.

I'm curious to find out what other dealers are saying about it to those who have pointed it out.

Mine is there tomorrow to sort out the tank recall and I've asked them to check the play on the rear axle yet again so I'll see what they say about this.

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:59 pm

cheeheese wrote:Looks to be the exact same problems as Tete and Abc. Found it on the first search.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25562&p=317224&hilit=chain#p317224

Didn't return anything for me otherwise I would have added to that thread.

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 pm

That's the recall done.

Dealer has taken pictures of the chain and reported the Hub and Cush Drive, he informs me that there was a design change on the 2015 models to cure the free play on the rear hub.

He is expecting a reply in 2 - 3 days from KTM to see if they will replace anything.

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:20 pm

coach wrote:That's the recall done.

Dealer has taken pictures of the chain and reported the Hub and Cush Drive, he informs me that there was a design change on the 2015 models to cure the free play on the rear hub.

He is expecting a reply in 2 - 3 days from KTM to see if they will replace anything.

Rear Hub assembly will be replaced with 2015 Hub (on back order)
Chain and cush drive is a no go as they are serviceable items

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 pm

coach wrote:Chain and cush drive is a no go as they are serviceable items

This "serviceable item" is such bullsh1t. What a convenient excuse for them to blow off owners. The assumption is then that the problem is caused by improper use or poor maintenance routines.
I treat my chain very well and have never had Orings fail on any of my chains, but on the wonderful KTM 1290 my chain is eating Orings and apparently its all my fault - what a load of sh1t.....................
Inconsistancy everywhere - some owners have had their chains replaced or their replacement costs reimbursed and other have to suffer the BS of "its a serviceable item" - its no wonder owners get pissed off
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 am

abc wrote:

This "serviceable item" is such bullsh1t. What a convenient excuse for them to blow off owners. The assumption is then that the problem is caused by improper use or poor maintenance routines.
I treat my chain very well and have never had Orings fail on any of my chains, but on the wonderful KTM 1290 my chain is eating Orings and apparently its all my fault - what a load of sh1t.....................
Inconsistancy everywhere - some owners have had their chains replaced or their replacement costs reimbursed and other have to suffer the BS of "its a serviceable item" - its no wonder owners get pissed off

+1
You should see the inside of the rim on my Husky (ktm)!! totally rotten where the spokes meet the alu. Expect that on a motocross bike that's in the mud all the time.
This one has never been in the rain as it hasn't rained here since I got it.
And no I don't do high pressure washer and I do lube the spokes with WD40.
See what happens with a claim....
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:21 am

abc wrote:

I agree with you. I also look after my chains and this one has hardly needed adjustment in the 6,000mls which says it does have some qualities. Its a long way from the end of its service in that respect but if it continues to loose bits of 'O'-Ring then it wont last very long at all.

Also had to tell the dealer that the writing on the top of the ignition barrel is coming off, see what he says about that when it goes n for the hub change out.

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:46 am

Anyone get a answer on why the DID Xring chains are loosing their seals?
Mine had around 11000k and this started to occur, replaced under warranty with no explanation on what the cause was.
Reading on another site that the same thing happening on a Suzuki 650.

I don`t think it`s lube, dirt or cleaning procedure as many others including myself have not seen a chain throw rings until it is at its life.

WHO?
Minimoto racer

Postby WHO? » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 am

lc4 I live in se qld with some unavoidable dirt roads, hardly ever wash the bike let alone clean the chain & none of these type issues, most prolly blame the dunlop tyres meself aye - my chain abuse I think is something to do with mountain ranges & 16t front .... if I was to blame something I reckon (other than the dunlops) be having a good hard look at tension & lubrication perhaps?
any day above ground's a good day so keep smiling!!

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]