1290 GT Akra map?

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
vet57air
Minimoto racer

1290 GT Akra map?

Postby vet57air » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Just installed a Motohooligan intake and waiting for a mid pipe. Was going to have the Akra map loaded when I installed the pipe but sounds like it is a month away. I have already taken the DB killer out of the stock can. Should I install the Akra map now or wait for the pipe?

xtremewlr
Minimoto racer

Re: 1290 GT Akra map?

Postby xtremewlr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Wait for the pipe.

Is your dealer willing to install the Akra map on a GT? I thought they were meant to be only for the SDR and that some dealers might balk at installing on the GT?

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Not sure why a dealer would not? Other than a PVC, there are not a lot of options. Same engine with an update head. Once that exhaust valve is gone I don't see why the engine would not respond similarly as the 1290r? Worth a try.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:04 am

So if anyone cares here the Akro map won't work on a GT. Exhaust servo and quick shifter controls. KTM say they will have something soon, probably in the new year for the GT.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:42 am

vet57air wrote:So if anyone cares here the Akro map won't work on a GT. Exhaust servo and quick shifter controls. KTM say they will have something soon, probably in the new year for the GT.

Is the exhaust servo's purpose to speed the heat up of the catalyst for emissions or to change the sound of the exhaust? I'm thinking it's for emission and bringing up the catalyst temperature for the latest Euro standards.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Is there a place I can find tech info on the servo system?

KTM will need to have several different maps for with and without the servo which they usually take a long time to do......aftermarket will beat them to it.

Thanks

SD#1

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:19 am

Hmmm i thought the exhaust valve might be there to maintain back pressure in the pipes to help with low down power delivery because the gt is heavier than the sdr.
I believe thats one of the reasons the resonator is built into the full akra system - with the full akra if you take the resonator away the low down torque delivery is not quite as good.
One day i guess we will find out for sure why the valve is built into the stock gt system :?
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:39 am

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:
vet57air wrote:So if anyone cares here the Akro map won't work on a GT. Exhaust servo and quick shifter controls. KTM say they will have something soon, probably in the new year for the GT.

Is the exhaust servo's purpose to speed the heat up of the catalyst for emissions or to change the sound of the exhaust? I'm thinking it's for emission and bringing up the catalyst temperature for the latest Euro standards.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Is there a place I can find tech info on the servo system?

KTM will need to have several different maps for with and without the servo which they usually take a long time to do......aftermarket will beat them to it.

Thanks

I agree. The valve isn't there for performance. I recently installed the Remus mid pipe on my GT, which came with a dudad that takes the place of the cables to the exhaust valve on the servo and allows you to remove the exhaust valve. The bike still thinks the valve is there. Bike feels smoother with more grunt down low. Can't wait to get a more aggressive map.

rqereySD#1

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:50 am

ok thanks for the update - thats good to know.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Tancakar
Minimoto racer

Postby Tancakar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:40 pm

all the theories in here been busted.

2017 SDR uses Servo exhaust valve. Its for euro 4 and i am assuming its just to quite down the exhaust note, but it could also be helpfull with the back pressure. now 2017 SDR using the GT catalytic converter :) lol

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]