Front Brakes Issues Resolved

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
wills
Minimoto racer

Front Brakes Issues Resolved

Postby wills » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Seeing how so many have had the front rotors warp and the OEM replacements not solving the problem, I sourced from another manufacturer. Mine warped and I also had the "noise" so I bought the Galfer rotors and pads. No noise, brakes work as well as before plus I could buy them for less than the OEM junk. I have had Galfer on my Concours 14 for a couple of years and they work great, no noise or rotor issues. Don't look bad either!

Touring the West Coast

crazyinp
Two wheeled terror

Re: Front Brakes Issues Resolved

Postby crazyinp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 am

Any details on where you got them from?
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 am

Ebay seller Motorcycleparts2u
If he does not have it listed, he can order any Galfer part.
Touring the West Coast

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:23 am

Be keen to see how these perform over time. Mine are shithouse and cant wait for a decent replacement.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:45 am

They look nice, hope they prove to be robust in the long term. Might go that way myself one day.
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:56 pm

The rotors on my Connie have over 40k miles on second set of pads...working great no warping. If they can stop that heavy beast they should last on this one!
Touring the West Coast

tango2
Two wheeled terror

Postby tango2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll put them on the list :D

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:33 am

The stock wavey rotors on the 2016 SDR SE are Galfers!!!

mntbighker
Minimoto racer

Postby mntbighker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 am

murphc13 wrote:The stock wavey rotors on the 2016 SDR SE are Galfers!!!

Wonder how the prices compare between the KTM version and the aftermarket version?
2016 Super Duke R

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Well a thousand miles on these new brakes and no warping yet. Also the noise when you push the bike is gone, except when the brakes are hot. So far so good.
Touring the West Coast

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 pm

wills wrote:Well a thousand miles on these new brakes and no warping yet. Also the noise when you push the bike is gone, except when the brakes are hot. So far so good.

If you still get the noise hot you have a sticky caliper.
I change both rotors with gaifers n even change the front wheel
noise only stopped after a caliper change
Now hot or cold no noise or rubbing pads 8)

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Not concerned about the noise, just the performance. I also noticed KTM Powerparts rotors look very similar :roll:
Touring the West Coast

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:22 am

On this subject - I got a set of aftermarket rotors, and they warped within a few miles. I concluded the rotors could not possibly be the problem, as they never even got hot.

I carefully checked the wheels where the rotors mount, and discovered a casting defect that I'm certain caused the warpage in the OEMs and the aftermarket rotors. It was a small ridge right in the corner of the area where the flat part of the land meets the cylindrical area. I was surprised that these mounting surfaces are not machined, but then it made perfect sense that so many people have the same problem.

So to fix it I just filed down the ridge. It was present on only two of the mount points; the rest were fine. This defect was only present on the left side of the wheel. I had previously verified that the rotor on the left was warped with a dial indicator. The right side was true to within .004" (.1mm)

After the fix, I've had zero issues and the rotors are nice and smooth now.

Here is a photo to illustrate the area in which the defect can be found. (understand this is not an image of our wheel. It simply shows the area of interest as an example)

Too bad our wheels are not machined in this area like the one in the photo. If they were machined, this problem would probably not exist at all.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:17 am

Cheers for the info.. great find !.
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

chrisRR
Minimoto racer

Postby chrisRR » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Excellent stuff. Was wondering if the mount surface might be the issue. I've got new wave rotors to fit and wasn't going to put them on until the mounting surfaces were checked. Do they need surface skimming in a big lathe perhaps?

ilmothefinn
Minimoto racer

Postby ilmothefinn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am

Well, actually it is on a large lathe... Just measure the distance of mount points when brake rotor is off and wheel in its place, act accordingly... File or what ever does the job... Shall try to remember this when next time replacing rotors (don't bother now, they are still ok)...
Each day I try to live for me.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Finally got off my arse and removed the rotors with the wheel still on the bike.
I filed down the portion that grommet had indicated in the above photo and the difference it made was amazing.
I had 0.012" run out previously, not sure what it is now but I can wheel it around and it no longer makes any noise and no longer pulses on slow braking.
Thanks grommet.

ttraynor
Stunt rider

Postby ttraynor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:54 pm

OK--So I replaced my stock 2017 wheels/discs which were working perfect with my BST's and Galfers from my old supeduke 1290 I had--and there is warpage! Guess I'll check the BST rotor landings for junk or interference.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:53 am

I can also report that I have always had issues with my front disks. It was the classic "feeling like they were warped when moving the bike around my shed" so once I found the time I stripped everything apart and measured and inspected everything.
My experience was similar to "grommets" and "scram66" in that the mounting surface on the wheel was the problem. I had enough clearance where the inside diameter of the disc met the step on the wheel flange so next I checked the mounting faces and found run out of 0.015". Doesn't sound like much but it is of course multiplied as the diameter increases and you move away from the wheels rotation axis.
I set the wheel up and re machined the face true by removing 0.002", cleaned and re tapped all the old loctite from the threads and everywhere else and reassembled.
I suspect this poor quality control ( really production tolerances) is why the original rotors warped and lucky for me were replaced under warranty about 1 year ago, only to have the problem return.
The final result is the issue is now fixed. Thanks to those that have contributed to the solution and provided the feedback.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Savage
Minimoto racer

Postby Savage » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:37 am

scamb66 wrote:Finally got off my arse and removed the rotors with the wheel still on the bike.
I filed down the portion that grommet had indicated in the above photo and the difference it made was amazing.
I had 0.012" run out previously, not sure what it is now but I can wheel it around and it no longer makes any noise and no longer pulses on slow braking.
Thanks grommet.

Great.

I have a new to my '17 model.
Done 4,000 km, come from a speed Triple, it has the wavey disc brakes on it, and noticed it pulses when slow braking, annoying the crap out of me, thinking perhaps this is normal for a KTM.

Will go and do this now!

Twist
Minimoto racer

Postby Twist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 pm

The problem I have with my '16 1290R is not so much that I get much pulsing. It's that the front brakes at low parking lot speed are so grabby as to be dangerous to use. Any pressure on the front brake lever will stop the front wheel and there's no low speed feel to them. I know it's good practice to use the rear brake in low speed maneuvering but still, there's just no feel at anything below about 10 mph and it's like an on/off switch. Would changing the pads help?
Babying your motorcycle for it's resale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be fresher for the next guy.

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Use just one finger to pull the lever.

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm

I too switched to the PP/Galfer wave rotors and the moaning and groaning of the brakes went away. I put on EBC pads too, these are now the finest brakes I have ever experienced:

Savage
Minimoto racer

Postby Savage » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 pm

After filling lightly where the discs mount on, I no longer get any pulsing when braking.

I couldn't see any issues before hand but went and filed anyway.
Glad I did!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 am

Savage wrote:After filling lightly where the discs mount on, I no longer get any pulsing when braking.

I couldn't see any issues before hand but went and filed anyway.
Glad I did!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Savage isn't yours a 2017 model?
Thought KTM would have sorted this by now?

Next

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]