Horn stops working when hot - 1290R

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Plake
Minimoto racer

Horn stops working when hot - 1290R

Postby Plake » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 pm

2016 SDR, 5 months old, 3k miles. Normally I don't drive in cities for any great distance but have had to twice this week. Both times the horn has completely stopped working when the temperature has reached about 93-94deg. Needed the horn a lot thanks to all of the crappy South London driving too.

Did a quick search and someone else mentioned this about 18 months ago. Anyone else noticed it happening or aware of a fix?

Bike's under warranty so let the dealer worry about it is the simple answer I guess.

lc4
Stunt rider

Re: Horn stops working when hot - 1290R

Postby lc4 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:27 am

Mine does the same, radiator gets hot and cooks it,rarely use it so put up with it.
Others have fitted aftermarket horns.

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:53 am

Mine used to do that. I just assumed it was a poor connection. Didn't worry about it since I rarely use it, not being an urban rider.
Its worked fine for some time now and reading Ic4's comment about the radiator, it occurs to me I did fit an Evotech rad guard a while back. Maybe a coincidence. Dunno..

Cranky
Minimoto racer

Postby Cranky » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Mine does the same when the bikes cold it works but as soon as it gets warm it stops working

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 pm

me too. Haven't yet seen what the dealer says...

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:27 am

Interesting, not just me then.

Bike'll be going in for a new tyre within a month or so and will see what the dealer says.

Twist
Minimoto racer

Postby Twist » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Mine does the same thing - quits completely when hot. I'd love to find a place to mount up a Denali Soundbomb but no place looks obvious without looking like my 1290R has grown a huge wart.
Babying your motorcycle for it's resale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be fresher for the next guy.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:08 am

This is a new one to me - gonna try mine to see what happens.

Could it be as simple as insulating the mounts?

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:09 pm

I think it's the fact that it sits right behind the radiator, the hot air kills the poor guy...
Last edited by mrossk on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:57 pm

funny but I read this a few weeks ago but hadn't noticed it. last night was riding downtown with my wife on the back to go to dinner and it was pretty warm (around 90 degrees F). I was in some traffic and hit the horn and got nothing...

didn't try it again but it seems like I have the same issue. I'll go hit it this afternoon and see if it's working again or if it's cooked. The fan was on, oil temp was around 200 degrees F.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

cpitt

Postby cpitt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:15 pm

I instinctively revbomb instead of using my horn :twisted: ... Now I'm curious if my horn even works.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Anyone seen a good guide on how to fit a split Denali soundbomb onto the 1290R?
Last edited by Plake on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:56 pm

My horn always works when it's hot;)

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Bit of a disaster with the horn. Asked the dealer if they can fit a Denali Soundbomb for me. No problem, done it before they said.

Had it fitted 3 weeks ago. Had to use it that day, bloody loud which was great, but got a "General Failure" pop up that wouldn't go away along with other warning lights.

Had a look under the seat - lots of cut wires and insulating tape but nothing obviously loose. Took it back up to the dealer who called the next day to say that the ECU was "spiked" and needs replacing. They also said that in fact the Soundbomb is not compatible with the Superduke and this is what killed the ECU. Had to send up my keys for recoding.

Had a call last week to say that a new ignition switch is now needed, 7-10 day lead time... It's been 3 weeks off the road and counting. Gutting.

Twist
Minimoto racer

Postby Twist » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Plake wrote:Bit of a disaster with the horn. Asked the dealer if they can fit a Denali Soundbomb for me. No problem, done it before they said.

Had it fitted 3 weeks ago. Had to use it that day, bloody loud which was great, but got a "General Failure" pop up that wouldn't go away along with other warning lights.

Had a look under the seat - lots of cut wires and insulating tape but nothing obviously loose. Took it back up to the dealer who called the next day to say that the ECU was "spiked" and needs replacing. They also said that in fact the Soundbomb is not compatible with the Superduke and this is what killed the ECU. Had to send up my keys for recoding.

Had a call last week to say that a new ignition switch is now needed, 7-10 day lead time... It's been 3 weeks off the road and counting. Gutting.

I'm going to say that your dealer screwed you on the install and tried to power it off the existing horn power wire. No way they should have done that with a horn that draws 18A!! It should have been installed off of a relay where the horn power wire is used for the trigger input and the horn gets it's power from a fused line to the battery. I've done this type of install on several CANBUS bikes with no problems at all.
Babying your motorcycle for it's resale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be fresher for the next guy.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 pm

My horn also wasn't working when the BIKE was hot, i told the bike workshop while the GT was in for its service. They checked it, and it worked. But while they had the tank off checking the air filter they moved it, but i can't see it now, but it works while the bike is hot and being ridden.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

vernonbc
Minimoto racer

Postby vernonbc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Took my bike in for it's 15000K check this past summer and tech said my horn was not working so he just swapped it out with a bike that was on the floor. Funny thing is I usually test my horn before I go for a ride and I remember it working.
My guess is that because the horn is right behind the radiator it gets quite hot and there is some expansion going on. If I remember correctly these types of horns have an adjustment screw at the back of the horn. If they are adjusted too tight you get nothing and if they are too loose you may hear a click or a very quiet or muffled horn. I used to adjust these screws on my japan bikes.
Not sure if our 1290's have the same adjustment screw. There is a black protrusion on the horn and my guess is it is a cover for the adjustment screw. May check it out this weekend.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:23 am

Twist wrote:
Plake wrote:Bit of a disaster with the horn. Asked the dealer if they can fit a Denali Soundbomb for me. No problem, done it before they said.

I'm going to say that your dealer screwed you on the install and tried to power it off the existing horn power wire. No way they should have done that with a horn that draws 18A!! It should have been installed off of a relay where the horn power wire is used for the trigger input and the horn gets it's power from a fused line to the battery. I've done this type of install on several CANBUS bikes with no problems at all.

Yeah, I've no doubt it was caused by the installation, not the horn itself. I said the bike had a CANBUS system to the tech who was going to be fitting the horn and I'm not certain he knew what that was. Anyway, the dealer aren't charging me for the repair so fair do's. Mistakes happen.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:47 pm

DaveNZ wrote:My horn also wasn't working when the BIKE was hot, i told the bike workshop while the GT was in for its service. They checked it, and it worked. But while they had the tank off checking the air filter they moved it, but i can't see it now, but it works while the bike is hot and being ridden.

Fuk i must be blind, while washing my bike i came across the horn, in its new position, in front of the radiator, to one side. Out in the open, how could i have not seen it.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:41 am

Plake wrote:
Twist wrote:

Yeah, I've no doubt it was caused by the installation, not the horn itself. I said the bike had a CANBUS system to the tech who was going to be fitting the horn and I'm not certain he knew what that was. Anyway, the dealer aren't charging me for the repair so fair do's. Mistakes happen.

They installed a new ECU, then had to order a new ignition/key kit, then the bike "died" again soon after they managed to get it running. Apparently all of the diagnostic info is going to Austria but it now looks like its going to need a new wiring loom. Must be the installation surgery :( :( :(

It's been 2 months or so now with no SD....

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

KTM know this is a problem and will replace the horn under warranty. Bit pants though - if you're using your horn its probably for good reason and to have it fail on a brand new bike is unacceptable.....shouting and waving your arms around at the twat car driver about to take you out isn't going to cut it. Come on KTM!
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 am

I went to use my horn when leaving a mates place early in the morning, i wanted to give him a curtesy toot, but no, the horn didn't work, it threw up a fault code, it was only 2 degrees, so heat wasn't a factor. a few Ks up the road i stopped, turned the bike off for 2 mins, but fault code stayed for the next 90K, then the bike was turned off for 30 mins, then when i turned ignition on, the fault code was gone. I haven't tried the horn since, i hope it works for warrant of fitness checks.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]