PC5 quickshifter and sprocket change questions

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Marcus76

PC5 quickshifter and sprocket change questions

Postby Marcus76 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Dear all.

I just picked up my 2015 SD1290 after the 15000 km service and the mechanic gave me a bit of a scare when he saw my quickshifter.

I have the rottweiler intake, bodis decat and a pc5 with dual custom maps (one for the cat and one for the decat) and of course a quickshifter. I had this setup for almost a year, done about 7000 km with it on and off track and the bike runs great, never a problem.

Anyway, the mechanic informed me first that KTM would not give me any guarantee if something happened. Duh, I knew that. Also that if the engine blows, KTM would be able to see if a quickshifter has been installed even if I would remove it. The CPU knows everything. Ok I said, I've modified the bike too much for the guarantee to be valid anyways, I don't care about that, but why would the engine blow? I thought that cutting the ignition could possibly cause a backfire and could make the chims to dislocate and cause a failure. Possible but rare. But the quickshifter for the pc5 without the ignition module doesn't cut the ignition but only the fuel, which I thought would be a safe way to go. The mechanic then told me that when the CPU sense that the fuel is cut, it also cuts the ignition, which is dangerous especially at lower rpms (I don't understand why). This doesn't makes sense to me so I hope that someone here might explain it to me. Maybe I understood him wrong, maybe he is wrong?

Is a quickshifter for the pc5, only cutting the fuel, making the CPU cutting the ignition? If so, is it as dangerous as the mechanic tells me it is? He told me a scary story of a sd1290 with a blown engine that he personally worked on a few months ago.

I know that this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a good answer searching, but it's also possible that I'm doing that wrong.

My other question might deserve a separate post, but it's short and simple. The same mechanic told me that changing the sprocket (I use a 16t front sprocket) affects the traction control. He said that it makes it react slower and less smooth. I almost never have it on anyway but I have so say that the bike can spin quite a bit when cold or wet before the tc kicks in. Is he right on this one? Doesn't makes sense to me either..

I'm not a native English speaker but I hope that you get what I mean anyway.

Kind regards
Marcus

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: PC5 quickshifter and sprocket change questions

Postby No. 47 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Not a helpful comment as I know little or nothing about the 1290, having yet to own one, but this again smacks of the Big Brother/Euro 4/KTM/etc b*ll*cks re any mod that isn't KTM/dealer supplied.

Hopefully others here, better informed than I, can and will trash this b*llsh*t.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 am

I remember hearing a story that with the Quick shifter fitted for some reason the valve shims would fall out and stuff the engine
but I cant remember why it would happen.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 am

AGRO! wrote:I remember hearing a story that with the Quick shifter fitted for some reason the valve shims would fall out and stuff the engine
but I cant remember why it would happen.

I think that was with fuel cut QS but not with ignition cut.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Ignition Cut only = Bad
Fuel Cut = Good
Combined Fuel and Ignition Cut = Also Good

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]