Damper oil change

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Damper oil change

Postby Wa2fst » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:40 pm

I watched the youtube vid on what weight dodge rider was using in his vid. But is there an actual how to on reservicing the oil on the damper?
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

Colonel_Klinck

Re: Damper oil change

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 pm

It is very easy and I used 20w fork oil but if I did it again I'd go heavier. The difficult bit is getting the seal back in as you are pressurising the damper as it gets pushed down far enough to get the circlip in. I used a very thin hypodermic syringe needle and pushed the seal in with the needle between the seal and body of the damper. That allowed the air out and the seal went in far enough. In the end though I fitted the Hyperpro damper as the OEM is dog shit. Since fitting it the 1290 hasn't shaken it's head at me once.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 am

If you have plastic money in your country you can use one of the plastic notes and wrap it around the shaft in a spiral shape, then just slide it under the lip on the seal and push the assembly together. This will allow the oil to bleed without damaging the seal. You can then refit the cap/clip without any air getting into the damper.
Have fun.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Freude am Fahren
Minimoto racer

Postby Freude am Fahren » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for the link!
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]