Shocking Problems!

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Shocking Problems!

Postby Dr Dave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Love the 1290 but at 17 & 1/2 stones (111kgs) plus gear it's all but bottomed out just sat on the thing! Handling is horrible and pointless trying to dial the suspension in / work around it. Tried the track/race settings but the front springs just cant take my weight / aggressive riding / wheelies.

Anyone know where I can source uprated front and rear springs? Cheers.
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Re: Shocking Problems!

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:48 am

Dr Dave wrote:Love the 1290 but at 17 & 1/2 stones (111kgs) plus gear it's all but bottomed out just sat on the thing! Handling is horrible and pointless trying to dial the suspension in / work around it. Tried the track/race settings but the front springs just cant take my weight / aggressive riding / wheelies.

The spring rates are suited for rider 75-85 KGs, 90 max, you can wind up the preload in the rear just to get a little less sag, and may be up you compression dampning both ends, but the springs are gunna be too light for you. 2 options, diet (less beer) or heavier spring rates.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Dr Dave wrote:Love the 1290 but at 17 & 1/2 stones (111kgs) plus gear it's all but bottomed out just sat on the thing! Handling is horrible and pointless trying to dial the suspension in / work around it. Tried the track/race settings but the front springs just cant take my weight / aggressive riding / wheelies.

As your in Sussex, why not pop in to P&H motorcycles and have a word with their Ohlins trained mechanic about your problem and see what can be done. Love/ hate P&H , but the Ohlins chap did wonders setting up my 2017 bike and turned my new bike from being good - feckin great.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:11 pm

I've got some Mupo K911 cartridges coming. I'm only 85kg so was able to set rear sag at 13mm and it was still fine for rider sag. Front end is only ok upto a point though. When pushing on on track it becomes vague and lacks feel. If anyone is interested in the Mupo kit you can get a 20% discount if you mention my name. http://www.muporacesuspension.co.uk/mup ... nsion.html
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:09 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:I've got some Mupo K911 cartridges coming. I'm only 85kg so was able to set rear sag at 13mm and it was still fine for rider sag. Front end is only ok upto a point though. When pushing on on track it becomes vague and lacks feel. If anyone is interested in the Mupo kit you can get a 20% discount if you mention my name. http://www.muporacesuspension.co.uk/mup ... nsion.html

Looks like some nicely machined stuff there, do they offer a suitable shock for the 1290? I'm currently running a set of Nitron cartridges and Race Pro shock on my S1000R with good results (especially compared to the stock DDC).

Good to see more options in the market place.

Looking forward to your impression.

Cheers

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 am

If you just want to try firmer springs Hyperpro makes a selection for the 1290, plus a very good adjustable steering damper

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:14 am

Lowrance wrote:
Colonel_Klinck wrote:I've got some Mupo K911 cartridges coming. I'm only 85kg so was able to set rear sag at 13mm and it was still fine for rider sag. Front end is only ok upto a point though. When pushing on on track it becomes vague and lacks feel. If anyone is interested in the Mupo kit you can get a 20% discount if you mention my name. http://www.muporacesuspension.co.uk/mup ... nsion.html

Looks like some nicely machined stuff there, do they offer a suitable shock for the 1290? I'm currently running a set of Nitron cartridges and Race Pro shock on my S1000R with good results (especially compared to the stock DDC).

Good to see more options in the market place.

Looking forward to your impression.

Cheers

Yep they do from a more street based shock through to full race shock for the 1290. I might get a shock, will see how I get on with the front end first.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks for all your feedback/suggestions. JHS have uprated fork springs for £85 but I may try P&H - just hope its on one of their good days....generally they are great to deal with - but every now and then I wonder if they've got a scoobie doo...ie telling me they needed to reprogram my ecu if I wanted to fit the plug and play race dongle! - nonsense. Or when they had never heard of the horn not working when the bike gets hot (this was 6 months ago).

Anyway....I'll get the front sorted first.

Just purchased comfort seat (P&H) as don't fancy the ride up to Silverstone on the stocker....you start to feel the base after an hour. Hope there are some tickets left at the gate on Sunday! :roll:
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:47 am

I weigh 105Kgs and the bike had a 59/59 190/185 spring in it when I bought it. Wound down the front so its softer and seems to be perfectly setup for me tbh.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

Ok, so K-Tech have got the right fork springs for my size/weight. P&H put me on to them as they weren't able to supply anything themselves :roll: but at least they were pleasant and helpful.

So the update is..... I bought a Motohooligan airbox instead of the fork springs...... I'm a big kid. I did however crank up the pre-load on the rear shock significantly and it does now at least go around / drop in to corners but the quality of the suspension "action" still needs to be dealt with. :shock:

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]