Shifty Geezer ....2014 - 2016 Quick Shifter

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Shifty Geezer ....2014 - 2016 Quick Shifter

Postby Dr Dave » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:51 pm

So the 1290 runs through its box pretty quick.....sometimes too fast for me to stuff another gear in - the bike revs in to the red and then the gear-lever goes solid - so no more gears till you back off a bit. If I thought about it more I would change up earlier...but I guess I'm hanging on for dear life whilst overtaking traffic on the back wheel as well as being clutch hand lazy.

With most bikes the answer would be a quickshifter, so soon after purchase in August 2016 I enquired at P&H and got told by Marcus that the gearbox wasn't up to it...oh dear. Or is it in fact engine damage that occurs?

Having recently fitted the Rapid Bike module to mine and a mates 1290 I noted that Rapid Bike had an optional quick shifter available to plug in to their unit - my mate jumped straight in and bought one. When it arrived from Calsport, the female threads on the sensor are too small for the 1290's banjo joints, so it goes back for a full refund (I had also warned him about the rumoured gearbox issue). Soon after the option to purchase the quick shifter for the 1290 RB module disappears off the Calsport website.

So peeps, is it really not advisable to fit a quick shifter to the 2014/16 1290...even if you promise just to use it to short shift on back roads :?:
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Re: Shifty Geezer ....2014 - 2016 Quick Shifter

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:27 am

From what I know "engine damage" was the concern during those model years. Most if not all of the quick shift systems during that time where "ignition cutoff" only. The injectors continued to feed fuel to the cylinders with no spark to ignite it during the quick shift function. If the excess raw fuel in the exhaust ports was ignited when the spark returned it could or did cause the valve shims to become dislodged (even heard of the valve spring keepers too) and damage the engine.

If the quick shift system cuts ignition and fuel then the system should be safer than a ignition cutoff quick shift module only.................but regardless of quick shifter or not anyone can screw up a transmission or engine with abuse :lol: :lol:

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:From what I know "engine damage" was the concern during those model years. Most if not all of the quick shift systems during that time where "ignition cutoff" only. The injectors continued to feed fuel to the cylinders with no spark to ignite it during the quick shift function. If the excess raw fuel in the exhaust ports was ignited when the spark returned it could or did cause the valve shims to become dislodged (even heard of the valve spring keepers too) and damage the engine.

If the quick shift system cuts ignition and fuel then the system should be safer than a ignition cutoff quick shift module only.................but regardless of quick shifter or not anyone can screw up a transmission or engine with abuse :lol: :lol:

Thanks Superduke #1, I'll contact Rapid Bike to see if their unit cuts both.
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:02 pm

don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have any feedback on the Rabid Bike module? What mods did you do previous to fitting it (Exhaust, intake, etc...) Do you notice any obvious benefits? Thanks, MK

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 pm

mrossk wrote:don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have any feedback on the Rabid Bike module? What mods did you do previous to fitting it (Exhaust, intake, etc...) Do you notice any obvious benefits? Thanks, MK

No probs pal........the rapid bike module does what it says on the box- adjusts on the go, so you get real time fuelling and compensation for each and every mod you do. My next mod is the motohooligan air box/filter and this will be a bolt on and ride affair without any need for rolling roads and re maps......what's not to like!! Mods done prior to fitting was only the decat (link pipe).
Just consider it takes a few miles to compensate for each mod done but brilliant if you are like me and can't leave the bloody thing alone.

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Healtec is fuel only and works fine on my '15. Easy to adjust with a phone app over Bluetooth

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]