MotoHooli....Gain

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

MotoHooli....Gain

Postby Dr Dave » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

440 flippin dollars for the Motoholligan air box/filter, plus import duty and VAT (I'll let you know how much it all comes to in £££'s once it's here). However, other than a full exhaust system the MH offers the most power gains for a single mod that you can buy/do.

I'm hoping that I will regain a bit more bottom end punch - feels like I've lost a bit running a shorty, underslung Austin Racing pipe....although it takes off like a scolded cat between mid to upper RPM's :twisted:

Really must spend some money on suspension after this latest fettling. :shock:
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

repoman
Minimoto racer

Re: MotoHooli....Gain

Postby repoman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Dr Dave,
Could you let meknow the total when it arrives? I was intersested in this modification as well
Thanks
Paul

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:41 am

Don't know if its the same on the 1290 but it's worth it just for the induction growl on the 990. fooking love that sound, it's louder than my Mivvs.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Dr Dave
Minimoto racer

Postby Dr Dave » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am

Ok, motohooligan installed - easy and it looks great, little blat around to allow the Rapid Bike to adjust and then off to the Southampton boat show to give it and my mates 1290r a good run. It feels a little sharper - but makes a significant bogging noise at 3/4 to full throttle (not induction roar) interestingly after a while it clears its throat by spitting out the Austin Racing baffle - down the A27 and 2 inches past my mates head (so he claims), who after getting over the shock proceeds to take the p*ss over the intercom about my piece of junk bike telling me that I shouldn't have taken the p*ss out off his Orange (coated) Chinese ebay rear sets that fell apart on our previous ride causing him to bump in to the back of a land rover at a junction when attempting to apply a boot full of non existent rear brake lever (it dropped off 20 meters up the road :shock: ) - I did tell him he was mad buying them in the first place, even more so not to have loctited all the bolts in place before installing.

So I'm blatting down the A27 without a baffle and its loud - really loud, however all hell has broken loose with the bike - its bonkers fast, 5th gear wheelspin, front wheel well up in 4th off the throttle (thought I must've be in 3rd - but nope). A taste of what the concept bike might have been like?

Ten minutes later....and I kid you not ....my mates baffle (been in forever) shoots out of his Hi Slung AR exhaust much to the horror of the transit sitting behind him in the fast lane (sorry about the windscreen fella). At least I was able to take the p*ss out of my mate for taking the p*ss out of me taking the P*ss out of him! Must mention that AR where brilliant and replaced both our baffles free of charge, thanks AR.

The ride there and back had me obsessing about which gear I was in, surprised it was always one gear higher than it would have been previously, the bikes' going like stink. This I should point out was in the mid to upper rpm's - the bottom end was messy and flat.

Downside?? well yes but not with the Motohooligan - its the exhaust, even with earplugs you get nauseous running an underslung AR pipe without the baffle. The issue is I have to efficiently "exhaust" what I'm stuffing in the cylinders and that's not going to happen by sticking a baffle in and reducing the silencer diameter my almost half.

I'm now running the Remus link pipe and stock silencer again - sooo much nicer to be around, bottom end is improved and the bike is running strong but I've lost some madness and think it must be the somewhat reduced flow of the stock silencer (even though its pretty much straight through. Might do the silencer mod or go after market for a larger bore silencer but longer - to keep the sound levels reasonable ....any suggestions???? I guess it might boil down to a compromise between back pressure for smoothness with low end grunt and top end madness ..... or should I think about a 2017 with a full evo and swap my shizzle over :lol: ..... only another 2 years on PCP to go!

BTW, all in the Motohooligan air box is around £430 to your door inc postage and taxes. Its a lot of money but a work of art especially when you see the ridiculous heap of plastic, with tiny inlet holes and small paper filter it replaces .....you'll know you've spent wisely....just don't try convincing the missus :evil:
2016 1290r. Austin Racing GP1 De Cat underslung with db killer, Rapid Bike Evo Fuelling Module, Race Dongle, K&N, 16 T Sprocket, SAS removed, Powerparts Comfort Seat, Powerparts Garmin Bracket.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Good write up Dave, I had a MH on my 990 and love the quality of the product. Currently running a Rotty, low slung AR and PCV on my 1290 and other than the obnoxious noise it makes it definitely changes the bike for the better.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

repoman
Minimoto racer

Postby repoman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:49 am

Good write up, did you have a look at the Rapid bike changes to the fuelling after fitting? Interested to see the changes to the map if you logged them or noted any significant areas of change.
£430 door to door seems OK for good gains.

Thanks
Paul

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]