Big Problem, bleed screw clutch master cylinder

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Big Problem, bleed screw clutch master cylinder

Postby mrossk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Hey y'all- Wonder if anyone has any thoughts/insights. I was bleeding my clutch as it felt a little spongy. Did the slave cylinder, no problem, got a bubble or two out. Started to do the master cylinder and the bleed screw stripped in the hole. Or, I can't get it to tighten at any rate, and mineral oil leaks out. I removed the screw fully to take a look, and there's a lightweight spring around the threads which looks pretty knackered. Wasn't expecting that, and am not sure what its function is. Don't know if I should order a new bleed screw (@ USD $25), or whether I'm going to be looking at replacing the entire master, @ $400 !- though I did see a used one on ebay for $85 or so) I'm bringing in to the shop on Monday for help. The bleed screw on the master works just like any other bleed screw, right? Squeeze clutch lever, open screw a little, tighten screw, release lever, repeat, correct? Nothing unique that I would have screwed up doing it like the slave cylinder, or brakes, right? And yes, mineral oil is what I used.
Thanks for any help,
Michael

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: Big Problem, bleed screw clutch master cylinder

Postby Scotty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:47 am

The « lightweight spring » to which you refer is the stripped thread from the body of the master cylinder. It might be possible to helicoil a new thread into it but it may not be fluid tight, and you’d have to be very careful to avoid debris contamination in the master cylinder itself. Sounds like your best option is to replace the unit, a 2nd hand one being a less painful purchase...
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 am

Sure sounds like it’s really stripped: that “lightweight spring” is actually the threads of the master cylinder that were pulled out. You might be able to do a thread repair on it: HeliCoil or similar but that might be tricky since you have to maintain a sealing surface at the bottom of the hole for the bleed screw to seat against.
If there’s nothing wrong with that $85 one, that sounds like your best bet. Good luck.
EDIT: Scotty, almost word for word there! Great minds etc. etc.
2014 1290 73K miles

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Well shit- after I posted this, that possibility occurred to me...Seems right. Have to check E-bay to see if it's still there. But I'm curious as to how it could have happened. The procedure to bleed the MC is the same right? Unscrewing it a bit to open and rescrew it to close, yeah? Thanks,
MK

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:27 am

Ya, procedure as described but “someone” overtightened bleed screw. Not much torque required on them things.
2014 1290 73K miles

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:22 am

well, shit. really thought I was being careful.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 am

On threads that small I just use my little finger to tighten them. Doesn't take much to strip something that small. I'd look at maybe getting a time sert fitted. Far more permanent than a heli coil.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:42 pm

thanks, I'll look into that. I'm bringing it to the shop today. I was able to purchase a m/c off Ebay for not too much money, hopefully it'll be in acceptable condition.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]