Don't lose your key!

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Don't lose your key!

Postby mrossk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Just a heads up. I lost one key to my '15 1290. $140 to replace the key, and then @ $75 for the dealer to program it when it arrives. Ouch! And, as is often the case, the dealer knew less about this than I did. At first, he told me that I cannot replace just a key, I had to order a complete ignition. I explained that a) the key is listed in the parts fiche, and b) I read about this whole programming thing online as well as spoke to a guy at KTM World (who are wonderful to work with, btw). He called KTM USA who confirmed what I told him, and said, " Oh yeah, I found the part number..." So frustrating to have to deal with those knuckleheads, and spend $200+ because I'm dumb enough to lose a key. OK, rant over, carry on.

scamb66

Re: Don't lose your key!

Postby scamb66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 am

It pisses me off when they charge $75 for the programming. I understand that the shop has to make money but it is only a 5 minute job.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Any chance you could post the part number for me? I need one too, as I bought my bike used and it only came with one key.

Thanks.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Sure:
60411067000 . Be advised that this is an updated part number. The older # is listed as :"69011067000 KEY WITH TRANSPONDER ". If you need to look it up, there are a bunch of places to find the KTM Parts Finder fiche. It's listed under "Instruments: Locking System". No one could answer the question "what changed?" or why is there a different part number? I hope that it works when it arrives. Apparently KTM has to plug the bike into their computer to introduce the key to the bike. I'll update if there are problems when it arrives.

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check with my dealer. They had a key (backordered) for me some time ago, and I've not heard from them in months. Perhaps with this new part number they'll be able to make some headway.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Just an update for y'all. Finally got my replacement key today. More than 3 months! Initially, KTM Austria didn't process the order because the dealer left off a "0" from the code number. Then it was held up in some processing glitch. But after about 6 check-in's with the dealer, a few phone calls between KTM Ohio and Austria, it showed up. It needed to be activated with the orange programming key (but not by the dealer), but finally, 3 months and $140 later, I have a spare again. Whew.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]