Hello from Brisbane!

introduce yourself
TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Hello from Brisbane!

Postby TomRaspa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Guys, this seems such a great community!

my name is Tommaso, I'm italian, down under since 2011.
I bought a 2007 990 SD a month ago after selling my much hated/loved ducati 749s.

I had the ducati for fun, mainly weekends ride up the mountains and long trips inland, it was a wonderful bike but I had many technical issues with it. ( recoated the rusted tank twice in 5 years is just one of them )

the 990 the other hand is much different, and I'm still learning how to use it properly, I still don't feel 100 % confident on it, for me it has much more potential as all rounder bike, now I'm using it for commuting and I didn't have a chance to take it for a proper spin yet. (actually i didn't even had time to wash it properly :oops: )

came with few goodies : full akra and carbon wheels. I'll post some pics as soon as I clean and detail it a bit, now I'm too ashamed...

also have a couple of issue easily fixable, the front brakes rotors are warped, brake lever pulses A LOT! and I believe they've done something at the last tyre change because is just too bad for a 20K km bike. so after some research I've bought those from china: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320mm-Front ... 440ec9719a they seems good, they use tempered martensitic steel same as the big brands.. I'll let you know how they go.
I won't save money for the pads tho, any suggestions?

I have a small leak right on the brown stator plug beside the oil cooler, not sure where it comes from any tips?

scamb66

Re: Hello from Brisbane!

Postby scamb66 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

G'Day Tommaso, welcome mate and that's one more from Brissy. Good job.
Fueling on the 990 makes it a pig to commute on in hot weather, lane splitting laws make it easier though.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 am

Is been pretty good so far I don’t get much traffic, mate compared to the 749 is a couch !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 am

Welcome aboard the orange express Tommaso!

Sure, the 990 isn't without its challenges, but at least your back, knees and wrists won't be mithering you like they did on the Ducati.

(Note: Mithering is a northern English expression, if you're mithering someone you're having a good bitching and moaning session)
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 am

Wellcome Tom, from across the ditch. i spent many hours on a 999, track days also, very special bike, they only make sense going hard out, I'm more into the wide bar bikes for the comfort factor now, enjoy your 990, and one day make sure you do a bike trip around NZs south island, its a motorcyclists dream place to ride.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:21 am

After a good morning spent cleaning and detailing it, not too bad as a result

Scotty the riding position is just so much better, I didn’t take it for a proper spin yet, ( notice the chicken strips on my tyres) but I think It will be as much fun as the ducati.

Yes Dave! A good trip would be good on the new arrived, I was considering tas and nz , but I need to check how the missus feels at the back first!

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 pm

You’re right about those fag-lines on your rear tyre Tom, they require addressing without delay... :wink:
One of the first things I noticed on my 990 on the very first ride was how eager it was to turn, and dive for the apex, it’s such a gas to ride a bike that begs to be pushed hard.
May you have many enjoyable miles (or km) together 8)
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Welcome to the Forum :). I've had Ducati's as well ('78 GTS860 and a '96 916) and it was a love / hate relationship. The 916 was great, just exy to maintain and hard to find a reliable mechanic. The 860 was just unreliable all round.
With the SD 990 warped rotors check out this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26777&hilit=warped

I have the same warping sensation at low speed, and haven't yet looked into it but sounds worth a try.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am

Fixed the photos for you. Is that front tyre the right way around?

Dymags, nice.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:09 pm

So the discs have arrived today, waiting for the pads and I should be all sorted..

Scotty I took it for a spin but with the discs vibrating so much is a bit dangerous I have to get them done ASAP

Hey DukeNukem999, I’ll have s look at the rims but I doubt is the problem because they’re aftermarket carbon rims, and hopefully they’ve been machined with accuracy. But thanks for the head up!

Scamb66
Yeah the tyre looks odd because the angel got a stupid design on it from new ( is supposed to look like an angel I guess ?)

Return to Hello