G'DAY.....

introduce yourself
jack82
Minimoto racer

G'DAY.....

Postby jack82 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:50 am

G'day fellas...........nother bloody aussie here...........

I dont own an SD but I test rode one a while back and it's on the future bike list..........

It's a VERY impressive bike..........

A new KTM shop just opened up near me and I can get one at a good price.............

I must admit I'm a bit concerned about some of the problems their having...........Any of you Aussies had problems and If so are the dealers looking after you??.........

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Fri May 12, 2006 4:37 pm

hello jack,

don't know if Oz SDs are more prone to certain problems than the rest of us, the usual quirks are:

glitchy throttle response in low revs (cured on most later bikes and akrapovic cans & a remap take care of the problem ... see here http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31 for the evolution cans )

rubber head gasket can sometimes explode and shower the rear wheel with lovely 10W50 engine oil (never happened to me)

infamous oil consumption of the lc8 engine http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74

ummm, that's about all that comes to mind at the moment, check this thread for further comments though http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

i'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed. what is/was your current/previous bike?
Angelo

jack82
Minimoto racer

Postby jack82 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks Angelo........at the moment I have........

1200R sporty
Suzuki SV 650
Kaw Z 1000
Yam WR 450

And a couple of old jap bikes..........

The Superduke would be replacing the SV and the Z.........

I've been looking at the SD and the Buell Uiy............different bikes I know.......but they both appeal to me..........

Just wondering If the problems have come from the first batch of bikes.??.............Hoping KTM iron out the bugs with the new SDs........

LadyDuke
Minimoto racer

Postby LadyDuke » Tue May 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi Jack,
I have a SD in Brisbane and am currently going through the excessive coolant consumption problem that appears to be relatively common. Servicing here also seems to be a bit over priced as they are fairly uncommon and the mechanics spend a bit of time rooting around with them through lack of experience! Have to wait & see how they handle coolant problem.

It is however worth the cost etc. I can't think of another thing in my adult life that so far exceeded my expectations I couldn't believe it. I traded up from a SV650 which I thought was pretty good. After the first ride on the SD I knew I never wanted to see SV again - SD that good! You do have lots of other toys though so may not be as blown away. I'm a relative newby to the world of bikes.

jack82
Minimoto racer

Postby jack82 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi LD,
I was pretty much blown away after the first test ride.... :D

The SD is about the best handleing bike I've ridden........I live at the bottom of the Great Alpine Road and this bike was made for that road....

I just gotta be patient and see If KTM iron out these bugs.........

But If they dont I'll be gettin one anyway........ :mrgreen:

Return to Hello