What's up? Just picked up a 2008 SuperDuke.....

introduce yourself
FasYankee
Minimoto racer

What's up? Just picked up a 2008 SuperDuke.....

Postby FasYankee » Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Hey all, here to intro myself, just picked up a 2008 SuperDuke, it's really clean, has low miles and runs well. I'm hoping to get some info here as I want to make some changes that'll improve the bike overall. First off it's way too tall for me, so I was thinking of removing the rear shock and putting one of those adjustable airbags on it, bring it really low. Then I'd like a really fat rear tyre, like 300 or I saw a superfat 340 on my neighbors ride the other day and it was hot! Maybe I'll cut off one of the sides of the swingarm and make it like a newer one. I'm sure if I put som washers & bolts in there it'll be just fine. To get the slammed look I want I'd have to cut the front shocks too to make it kinda level. I was thinking some drag-style bars too, like the ones that bolt to the front shocks....and does anyone know where I can get one of those sweet neon like kits in orange? I think they have little tiny light bulbs that I could hook up to a switch......makes the bike really stand out. I bet if I got all this done it'd be hella fast, keeping it all closer to the ground is better for *fast-fast* ya know!

Well here's a picture, kind of boring right now but when I find the keys to my uncles toolbox I'm going to start taking it apart.

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: What's up? Just picked up a 2008 SuperDuke.....

Postby Aphex » Tue May 10, 2016 10:42 pm

All that and you're not even gonna stretch the swing arm? Also you don't really need two rotors up front, the rear brake should cover it.

I'll take that Scotts damper off your hands too, only pussies ride with those and I'm moist.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

norman_2009
Minimoto racer

Postby norman_2009 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 am

I agree with aphex. You don't need much front stopping power with a fat rear. I'll take the mono blocks and shock when you throw in the air bag.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Current Bikes:2015 390 Duke 2008 990 SuperDuke 2004 DL1000
Previous Bikes: 2003 SV1000s 1994 Virago 750

bazz21
Two wheeled terror

Postby bazz21 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:12 am

mate u have got one of the best bikes ever made and now u r going to fook it , sell the duke on to some one that can ride and get some jap crap to cut but leave the duke alone it was made to hoon on and calving corners :evil: :evil:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed May 11, 2016 12:27 am

You got yerself one of the exclusive orange framed non-R

Dual seat but no passenger foot pegs , Scott's steering damper, non Akra headers (makes sense since it's a non-R SD)
White bodywork is somewhat rare. Besides the slip on, any other engine mods?

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:05 am

Welcome, and thanks for the laugh...haha. Airbags are so underrated btw ;)
Nice bike too.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed May 11, 2016 2:03 am

Your rim tape looks jacked up. Fix that and you'll have all the mods you need to do done. I like the bike the way it is but pleasefuckitup so I do not have better looking bike envy.
Welcome home
I'm BLUE

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Wed May 11, 2016 5:24 am

Ahhh.....I think I'm gonna like this place. The troll-sense is strong with these guys!

Not that it was a very good troll-post......

Yeah so I've been riding all manner of bikes for the past 40 yrs. Always wanted one of these, this becomes available but I have to let one of the bikes go....so I sold my WR400 supermoto to make the room.

Bike is really well setup, pcV w/proper tune, stacks, airbox, the exhaust, anodised bolt kit, rizoma farkles, carbon fiber sprinkles, the damper (keen eye on that one!). The motor is awesome, I still have to dial in the damping, the suspenders were just rebuilt front & rear with the addition of air bleeds on the fork caps but I've got a serious mid corner wallowing (that's the only way I can describe it) that happens in the presence of any significant bumps. I start another thread for that in time.

I took a brake from super sports for a while and since 2011 had 2 supermotos (WR400 & SMS630). Got rid of the WR to make room for the SD, rode it once and sold the SMS a few days later. Unless I decide to return to the track I don't think I'll ever see another SS in the garage. So far I love this bike. The sound it makes is intoxicatingly awesome.

Off to peruse the content here! Happy to see you guys seem to have a good sense of humor!

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 am

bazz21 wrote:mate u have got one of the best bikes ever made and now u r going to fook it , sell the duke on to some one that can ride and get some jap crap to cut but leave the duke alone it was made to hoon on and calving corners :evil: :evil:

Chill bro......what is it you say down there? No worries mate.....

bazz21
Two wheeled terror

Postby bazz21 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:18 am

FasYankee wrote:
bazz21 wrote:mate u have got one of the best bikes ever made and now u r going to fook it , sell the duke on to some one that can ride and get some jap crap to cut but leave the duke alone it was made to hoon on and calving corners :evil: :evil:

if u want the real ozy lingo it would go like this ,fuk cunt what the fuk do u think your fuking doing cunt

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Wed May 11, 2016 12:04 pm

bazz21 wrote:
FasYankee wrote:

if u want the real ozy lingo it would go like this ,fuk cunt what the fuk do u think your fuking doing cunt

LMAO! I've always wanted to visit "down under".........5 kids will end any thoughts of that real fast.

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm

5?!? Ever hear of this new thing called condoms?
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed May 11, 2016 2:49 pm

LiferLance990 wrote:5?!? Ever hear of this new thing called condoms?

One of these?

08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed May 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Aphex, you look good man. I thought you said you had gotten SIDI boots instead of Alpinestars.

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Wed May 11, 2016 4:32 pm

5 kids for her = 5 bikes for me! I like to have options. And actually I'm on the hunt for something (not sure what yet) to replace the SMS (I'm kinda Sumo'd out), and keep the Duc & my V-4 scrambler (project-almost done) company in the garage.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed May 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Aphex, you look good man. I thought you said you had gotten SIDI boots instead of Alpinestars.

That's actually an old pic of Ducati Pete. :lol:

Me so Hoony.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm

"That's actually an old pic of Ducati Pete. :lol:"

Ha ha! :D

I've got five kids too. A 22 year old son who's left home now. A 12 year old daughter (Lives in LA). And here and now another six year old daughter......... and five year old twins.

With three different mothers :oops:
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

bdrannik
Minimoto racer

Postby bdrannik » Thu May 12, 2016 3:38 am

Image[/quote]

I'm tempted to purchase one of these suits and then do an intentional low-side in the rain just to see how far I can slide... <grin> And now back to topic: Nice bike you have there FasYankee. (Can I witness the first ride with the do-it-yourself single sided swingarm?)
Researching future purchase: 2017 SuperDuke GT 1290, Rottweiler Intake, 80/80 Stacks, Akrapovic Full, PC-V w/AT-300, Shorai LiFePO4 Battery, BST Carbons, BrakeTech Axis/CMC Rotors, 16T Front Sprocket

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 am

bdrannik wrote:Image

I'm tempted to purchase one of these suits and then do an intentional low-side in the rain just to see how far I can slide... <grin> And now back to topic: Nice bike you have there FasYankee. (Can I witness the first ride with the do-it-yourself single sided swingarm?)[/quote]

Even better! I've got this advanced piece of technology to mount near the headlamp. I'm sure I can rig it up with a few sticks of lumber I've got in the shed. It'll provide a great POV perspective of the maiden voyage to the local bistro. Ill be sure to include some roadside action shots of me ripping by in my flannel button down& skinny jeans!

bdrannik
Minimoto racer

Postby bdrannik » Fri May 13, 2016 9:32 am

Oooohhh.. One of those "Vehicle High Speed" action cameras - I can only dream of the possibilities..
How about some tunes for the ride with your new portable music player:

I've only been here 3 weeks and already assisting someone contribute to the delinquincy of their own thread - what have you KTM folks done to me?

And back on topic - a fellow I occasionally ride with has an '08 SDR that looks similar to your bike, at least to my "untrained in all things KTM" eyes. When we hit the local bike night events there are consistently people coming over to check it out since it's often the only KTM out of 1000+ bikes. Very attention getting rides with many "thumbs up" and comments. Unfortunately at the moment I have to do the bike nights in a car since I'm out of commision for a shoulder injury - once back in the saddle I'd like to join the KTM crowd..
Researching future purchase: 2017 SuperDuke GT 1290, Rottweiler Intake, 80/80 Stacks, Akrapovic Full, PC-V w/AT-300, Shorai LiFePO4 Battery, BST Carbons, BrakeTech Axis/CMC Rotors, 16T Front Sprocket

Return to Hello