new Sd-R in GA

introduce yourself
SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

new Sd-R in GA

Postby SpeedyR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Well, I've posted a few times but figured I'd post up an official introduction. Bought a 2015 used a few weeks ago. just over 1k miles on it, but the kicker for me was the full Akra Evo system installed. :) That was my main requirement in looking for a used SuperDuke. Also has the factory heated grips. :)

I have mostly been riding off road/dual sport the past few years. I had a KTM 200, then a 450 XC (tagged), and a 950 Super Enduro. Stupid fun and just like the 1290, it's my "over the top" off road beast. I ride it a fair amount off road and have done 3 or 4 hare scrambles with the 950 so it's not afraid of the dirt.

I started riding on the street around when I turned 30, and had a few lightweight twins (mostly Honda Hawk GT NT650s) and raced the Hawk and SV with WERA (some sprints, some endurance racing) in the early 90's. Good fun. After that just went to doing track days, and street riding. I had a couple of R6's (99 and 2000 put probably 40k miles on those in 2 or 3 years), FJR1300 (fun two up on the track), and finally an 08 CBR1000rr. Lots of track days with that one, but sold it 4 years ago and went to all off road stuff with my 450 and bought the 950 SE right about the time I sold the 1k.

fast forward to this year, and the itch to get a street bike again. Wanted something comfortable that I could ride 2-4 hours on the freeway if needed but would still handle and have enough power to have some fun on the track. With my orange Kool-Aid drinking, why not the 1290 SuperDuke??? :) I considered the Tuono 1100 (I briefly had a Mille R at some point in there) but was a bit more track focused, and the S1000r (two friends have RR versions (and one HP4) but didn't like the looks and the 4 cylinder just didn't speak to me). Even considered the Ducati MultiStrada, but a bit too touring orientated.

So the SuperDuke R it is. Only been able to get in one ride in north GA with it this past saturday and so far it's met my expectations. Long term plans are to add the PP seat, Rottweiler intake and stacks (I have it on my 950, big improvment), Powercommander V and quick shifter, set of SW Motech bags and tank bag and then just flog the thing silly. I'll get it out on the track in the near future and after that will see what's up with the suspension and if it needs some work.

Little video from the ride saturday. Decent roads, a bit damp in shaded spots, no MTC and just enjoying my first ride on the bike. I just had on jeans (normally wear leather or better armor but wasn't planning on hooning much, had on good jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, etc but it was hot and I was just going to go for a short spin) but was impressed with the bike. the exhaust is glorious but might even give it a shot with the db insert back in and see how it sounds...

well that didn't seem to work:

https://youtu.be/QOmmx38h6eo

hopefully I'll have some useful input on the bike and maybe run into some of you at the track or at a meet up. sounds like I'll get to meet up with Sarasota_steve when they are in north GA in September, I'll be there for a Hawk Rally around that time...

EDIT: Fixed youtube link.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Sarasota_Steve

Re: new Sd-R in GA

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Mr SpeedyR,

Welcome in!

I fixed the you tube link, simply [youtube] QOmmx38h6eo [/youtube] without the spaces.

We will hook up in September in N. GA.

In the video, where were you?

I have a place off of SR 60, very close the the rock pile going to Suches.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:20 am

Welcome :)
Looks like some nice roads in your video.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:59 am

This one was shot on 180 as you leave Suches/Two Wheels Of Suches.

just a small note a buddy sent me, they are going to close 180 right at Lake Winfield Scott later this year to redo the road/dam at the lake. Supposedly it'll be closed for close to 12 months. that's going to suck, but might make the side from 129 to the lake a nice run with no traffic. lol... another FYI if you haven't been up there in a while, but Riders Hill closed. They' were the nice shop on your left as you got past Dahlonega on 60. if you need something else basic moto related, check with All Terrain Powersports near the Chick Fil A in town (behind the Slack Auto Parts store). more dual sport and off road orientated, but a good shop if you need something ordered they can get it pretty quick.

for sure we'll get together. there's not much on 60 from the rock pile to woody gap (first gap you come to as you go to Suches) so I"m sure I've ridden by there hundreds of times. Buddy of mine lives in Suches near the trout pond if you remember seeing the signs as you drop into Suches on 60.

I'll be there the weekend of the 16-18th, would love to ride with you guys. if you need anything on your way thru town or while you are up there, I've got a lot of contacts.
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:03 am

Welcome to the madness :D
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum comrade.

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Welcome!
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 pm

welcome to the insanity !!!! :twisted:

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

not sure if other SD-R riders are around the Atlanta area or GA but I just bought the 60mm socket and should have the 1/2" -> 3/4" adapter in the next few days if anyone needs it. I have access to a No-Mar tyre changer (it's actually mine but since i haven't had a street bike in a while it's being "stored" at a friends house) as well. I"m a pretty frequent tyre changer as I like to have the right tools for the ride, but will have to see how i get along with the different tyres on the superduke. I need to get luggage, pitbull stands, and few things sorted out, then will start to work on tyre selection. probably will try Angel GT for all around use, maybe some Rosso III for mountain riding, and some SC's for track days.
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Roumoro 1290
Minimoto racer

Postby Roumoro 1290 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello & welcome Speedy R !
Nice vid,
very calm traffic !

Interesting Past.....
I had also 2 HAWKS in the early 90s,
also one with XRV750 Engine.
Good Friend of me in Würzburg, Germany, custom builds his 836cc Hawk over 7 Years,
finaly 152 kgs filled up.

Have Fun !
Tschau, from ....... Roumoro :mrgreen:

Return to Hello