New to SD Forum

introduce yourself
DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

New to SD Forum

Postby DaveNZ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi guys, I've wanted to join the SD group for awhile now. Thanxs scamb66 for sorting it for me. I brought a new 1290R in 2014, and traveled 18,000Ks, I've now traded it in on a 1290GT (orange), have so far only traveled 220Ks for the home trip. but I've gelled really quick with this bike, and loving it so far, I've previously had quite a lot of new bikes, ranging from Triumphs-Moto Guzzi's- Aprilia's-Ducati,s etc. now in the shed i have a 2005 640, with a heap of modification, a 2010 black 1200 multistrada with ful system etc, and the bran spanking new 1290GT.. I'm looking forward to chatting, and a bit of banter with you all. Dave...Oh PS, I'm from New Zealand, middle of the North Island, beneath MT Taranaki.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: New to SD Forum

Postby Aphex » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:41 am

Welcome in!

I love your two largest exports Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement. :D
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:28 am

Welcome in comrade.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:35 am

Welcome
When you say 2005 640, what model and what mods.? Did you have many or any problems with the 1290 in the 18000 ks?
Do you plan on using the cruise control on the new GT?
I'm BLUE

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:06 am

DribbleDuke wrote:Welcome
When you say 2005 640, what model and what mods.? Did you have many or any problems with the 1290 in the 18000 ks?
Do you plan on using the cruise control on the new GT?

2005 640, i think its called a super motard R, but i will check, it has an 18 litre tank, Mikuni racing flatside carb, full acra titanium exhaust, 2 sets of rims, a nice padded seat, heaps of parts came with it, tank, guards, and all origonal parts, i goes like stink, and fuelled beautifully. The 1290R, i had the rear hub axle replaced, due to play, and the tail light replaced, both under warrantee. 1290 was a fantastic bike, liked it so much i got the GT. i had a V4 Tuono before the 1290R. as for the cruise control, well I've never had a bike with it, I've never needed one before, so I'm doubting i will use it that often, or ever. Hey guys thanks for the wellcome. Yes Bret, and Jemaine are crackups.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 am

Welcome aboard Dave 8)
Got your new bike just in time for Summer down there - I went to North Island in 2007 for a cousin's wedding near Auckland and stayed on for a bit afterwards, including hooking up with old mate Tony Rees (former NZ Superbike champ) - I gather that Tony's still doing pretty well on the tarmac and his two boys are cutting it in MX. Tony took a bunch of us out for a spin one evening and we went along the Gorge, Route 2 inland from Opotiki on the Bay of Plenty - that route is legendary, you probably don't need me to tell you about it, just make sure you wear a groove in the tarmac with your new GT - enjoy :D
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 am

Good to see after 2 years that you finally got it sorted. Glad to have helped.

Only saw my first GT on the weekend and noticed a few differences...
It appears to have an exhaust (EXUP?) valve, why is this and does it make any noticeable difference anywhere?
Obvious suspension upgrade, crooze control (bastard) and the rear header pipe looks larger and has heat shielding, possibly for the rear shock.
As there are only a couple of GT owners here and you are probably one of the few that has had both, it would be great to hear a little about the difference (good/bad) between the two.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 am

Scotty wrote:Welcome aboard Dave 8)
Got your new bike just in time for Summer down there - I went to North Island in 2007 for a cousin's wedding near Auckland and stayed on for a bit afterwards, including hooking up with old mate Tony Rees (former NZ Superbike champ) - I gather that Tony's still doing pretty well on the tarmac and his two boys are cutting it in MX. Tony took a bunch of us out for a spin one evening and we went along the Gorge, Route 2 inland from Opotiki on the Bay of Plenty - that route is legendary, you probably don't need me to tell you about it, just make sure you wear a groove in the tarmac with your new GT - enjoy :D

Hi Scotty, Tony has been doing great back racing, He's on a Honda now, after many years with Yamaha, he won the big races on boxing day around the cemetery circuit. I did a track day on my 1290R with Tony, and before the day started he took a bunch of us around the track, we stopped at each corner, he showed us where to be on the track, corner entry, and exit, he was fantastic, and he's a great kiwi guy. i learnt heaps from him. it sounds like Tony took you on the Waiweka George, Opitiki to Gisbourne, great ride, I've done it twice in the last two years.NZ has some incredible roads Scotty, especially the south island. Scamb66, i will gladly put up a post on the differences between the R and the GT as i clock up Ks, the first thing I've noticed is how stable the GT is mid corner, its very confidence inspiring, the R was great also, but the GT feels more planted.

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:04 am

Comrade Dribble - If you used cruise control in New Zealand you'd hit the other side :lol:

Nah really - some great roads.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:21 am

Welcome to the Forum ;)
Will be interested in hearing about the GT too :)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

Doon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Doon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Hey Dave hows it going, we hooked up in Raglin in March with the Wanaka Motorcycle club.
Still trying to sell 990 SDR on trademe.
Have a S1000R now and loving it.
Off to Greymouth Street race's labour Weekend, when you down this way? Hope you like the GT. :D
2007 SDR, GSXR 1000 Scorpion Pipe, ITG foam filter,Rc8 stacks, PCV with autotune,basic breather mod, dual seat conversion.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 am

Doon wrote:Hey Dave hows it going, we hooked up in Raglin in March with the Wanaka Motorcycle club.
Off to Greymouth Street race's labour Weekend, when you down this way? Hope you like the GT. :D

I remember you Doon, i have been in touch with Dickie, and will try to get down your way in March when you guys head up to the top of the SI. Im loving the new GT, 23 litre tank, some protection from the elements with the screen, quick shifter, etc, but my biggest suprise is how good the suspension is, the 1290R was good when set up for the rider, but I'm finding the GTs much better, and altering it with a click of the button is great. How are you enjoying the S1000R, I've ridden one, and man they are very quick, nice bike. Cheers Dave.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 pm

welcome to the forum DaveNZ. I'm hoping to visit NZ again next year or the year after. spent a year there going to school but haven't been back since. The family wants to go so they can stop hearing me talk about how much fun I had when I was there...

glad to hear there are other SD's in NZ. I was there in 1989 and had a few friends with bikes when I was at university of Auckland, but have lost touch with most of them.. I just remember seeing a few two stroke street bikes around (we don't really get any in the US) and the great roads!
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Doon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Doon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 pm

DaveNZ wrote:
Doon wrote:Hey Dave hows it going, we hooked up in Raglin in March with the Wanaka Motorcycle club.

I remember you Doon, i have been in touch with Dickie, and will try to get down your way in March when you guys head up to the top of the SI. Im loving the new GT, 23 litre tank, some protection from the elements with the screen, quick shifter, etc, but my biggest suprise is how good the suspension is, the 1290R was good when set up for the rider, but I'm finding the GTs much better, and altering it with a click of the button is great. How are you enjoying the S1000R, I've ridden one, and man they are very quick, nice bike. Cheers Dave.

Will be good to catch up, yes love the S1000r especially the quick shifter and electronic suspension.
Have put an RR exhaust system on, sounds wicked :evil:
Will be good to see the GT when you come down.
2007 SDR, GSXR 1000 Scorpion Pipe, ITG foam filter,Rc8 stacks, PCV with autotune,basic breather mod, dual seat conversion.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:06 am

SpeedyR wrote:welcome to the forum DaveNZ. I'm hoping to visit NZ again next year or the year after. spent a year there going to school but haven't been back since. The family wants to go so they can stop hearing me talk about how much fun I had when I was there...

glad to hear there are other SD's in NZ. I was there in 1989 and had a few friends with bikes when I was at university of Auckland, but have lost touch with most of them.. I just remember seeing a few two stroke street bikes around (we don't really get any in the US) and the great roads!

NZ has changed a hell of a lot since 1989 SpeedyR, but the roads are still great, and the 1290 is perfect for our roads, big torque, softish suspension, upright, and comfortable, i loved my 1290R, bloody great fun bike, and the GT is great also, with just a few more creature comforts, hope you make it to NZ, make sure you do a South Island trip, its the best place to ride a motorcycle in the world. :D (northern Italy is bloody good also).

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

for sure if I get back it'll be a lot on the south island. I spent a few months there wandering about. Dusky and Milford tracks, climbed Mt. Cook, sea kayaking in Abel Tasman, etc. Good stuff...
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:31 am

You have probably done more down the SI than me, I've ridden it about 7 times, and spent an average of 12 days down there each trip, I've done 4 Burt Monroe rallies, and 2 touring trips to the Ducati rallies with the wife on the back. but i have walked the Milford track, and that was stunning, especially when it down poured and the water falls came out. incredible piece of the world isn't it. Haast Pass, Arthurs Pass, Lindus Pass and the Pass to Hamner springs, great scenic windy roads, i love it down there, motorcycling heaven.

Return to Hello