Island to left of U.K.

introduce yourself
RAYRACER
Minimoto racer

Island to left of U.K.

Postby RAYRACER » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:36 am

Hello folks.
I was on the forum years ago when I had a 990. Just picked up my 1290 ackro.

Great to be back, excellent forum, best I've been on.
Presume the abs and traction control will make me immortal?
MARVELLOUS!

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Re: Island to left of U.K.

Postby Joe Biker » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:40 am

Yes it will :twisted:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:16 am

Joe Biker wrote:Yes it will :twisted:

NO IT WON'T, if you want to prove it take your ABS, traction control 2-WHEEL bike out on a frozen lake or oil down soak your favorite corner and let me know the results. I've heard too many stories of riders that went down thinking that ABS and traction control was the almighty savior......traction control only works if there's traction to control :lol: Kind of like all of those All Wheel Drive/4x4 SUV's you see buried bumper deep in the mediums the first time it snows up North. If you start thinking like you're infallible and that those electronic controls are going to save your ars then you're going to get yourself hurt or worse :cry: and we don't want anyone to do that......or at least I don't. Ride like your bike doesn't have it and you'll be a much better rider. Stay smart and stay safe.

SD#1

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:15 am

My 990 came with "Right of Way", which I believe is more useful in real world conditions than traction control & ABS. :mrgreen:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Mr. SD#1,
I think RAYRACER and Joe Biker are using something called sarcasm. Just a guess here ...
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Mr. SD#1,
I think RAYRACER and Joe Biker are using something called sarcasm. Just a guess here ...

Steve, I picked up on the sarcasm right away.............but concerned that new to traction control bike owners might not. I have a motorcycle dealership (owner) friend that I've known for over three decades that sold a traction controlled high HP sport bike to a somewhat experienced rider. A short time after delivery on a cold, wet, damp, brick road in early morning the rider claims that as he pulled away from a stop while making a turn "the traction control FAILED" and he crashed. The rider claimed there was a fault with the traction control and it stopped working momentarily because the rear tyre broke loose on the wet bricks and traction control is not supposed to do that. The dealership or the manufacture could not find any fault with the bike or the traction control and chalked it up to "rider false sense of security on electronic control". Motorcycles, regardless of what some are starting to think, are NOT CRASH PROOF and it still takes rider/driver sensible and realistic input. Just wait until more and more self driving vehicles get on the road and take more of us bike riders out. I wonder how many car drivers are not even going to put a foot on the brake pedal because it stops itself.............sarcasm :mrgreen:

Steve, in the snow belt we see the new SUV and AWD/4X4 owners hauling butt and blowing by us on snow covered highways only to find them in the medium a few miles down the road..............wondering if in Florida you find them out in the woods stuck in the sand because "hey it's AWD and you can't get stuck" :lol: :lol:

SD#1

RAYRACER
Minimoto racer

Postby RAYRACER » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:34 am

Lads
Dats brilliant advice, many thanks. At least if I do fall off I now have a greater range of excuses....
(Seriously, I do appreciate the concern).

IMHO, the right of way option was never reliable. The withering stare was your only choice. Careless drivers spontaneously combusted when subject to it.

Anyone remember Fred Gasset?
MARVELLOUS!

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Yep, I remember Fred Gassit - "Give it the berries!"
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Miff_UK
Minimoto racer

Postby Miff_UK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 pm

RAYRACER wrote:Hello folks.
I was on the forum years ago when I had a 990. Just picked up my 1290 ackro.

Great to be back, excellent forum, best I've been on.
Presume the abs and traction control will make me immortal?

How you getting on with it ?
When I test rode a 1290 I was amazed that KTM had a system which prevented wheelies ! WTF ???

Not even adjustable for a bit of mono wheeling, what's the point of that ? I turned it off and it was a great bike, in fact I have just bought one.

I can see me turning it off every morning. Stupid KTM.

Miff

No more twin
Minimoto racer

Postby No more twin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:58 pm

I gotta say that I ain't crazy about the KTM traction control and installed the ABS dongle to keep it off. Not that I'm opposed to a control that works well and which can be adjusted to suit your needs, but the Superduke to 2016 control is on/off brutal. I once actually thought that I must have hit something while deep into a corner as the traction control came on with a whack and then had both wheels in a slide. When I got home, I went looking for a point of impact, only to realise that it must have been the traction control. It was similar to hitting a rev limiter hard.
2015 Superduke R
Too many mods to list.
Not as much time as I would like to ride.

Return to Hello