So I've bought another 990

introduce yourself
Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

So I've bought another 990

Postby Motogoon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm

I guess I should be in the hello section even though I've been here before, have bought myself another 990. Previously had a 2005 totally standard model and also a 2007 SDR with Akra's.

Here's the new one

Along with the pipes the previous owner has fitted a motohooligan airbox and remapped it with one recommended on here, and it's freakin AWESOME!

I always meant to do the mods on the other 2 I had but never got around to it, I should've made the effort because the smoothness is just ridiculous, you can actually ride around town now.

So a few things I've learnt, I think the SD990 is the most fun road bike you can own. Now I have to say I haven't ridden some of the newer stuff like the 1290, Tuono V4 etc but this is my 45th bike (I'm 44) so have tried a few. So I could be totally wrong and be blown away by something newer but I reckon something with 110ish bhp thtat looks and sounds awesome, will pull a nice wheelie or light up the back tyre under acceleration is all you need on the road. What do I need 170bhp for, especially here in New Zealand where they'll fine you for going 4km/h over the speed limit!

I've had 1000cc sports bikes and I didn't enjoy them on the road, the track is a different story but then I still think my CBR600RR was more fun so even there maybe 100bhp is all you need. Or maybe I'm just too old for my brain to process 170+ bhp. :D

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Re: So I've bought another 990

Postby Stu990 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Looks awesome!
I've just been told mine's w/o, so waiting to find out if i can buy it back or get something different. Good to know you like them so much you're on your third and they get better!

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Very nice and welcome home. I do believe that people would be hard pressed to find another bike that lets you check off all the important riding prerequisites and still leave a handful of money in the bank as dose the SD. I would love to try the first iteration, it may be more exciting.
I'm BLUE

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am

Stu990 wrote:Looks awesome!
I've just been told mine's w/o, so waiting to find out if i can buy it back or get something different. Good to know you like them so much you're on your third and they get better!

Does look good, a credit to the previous owner.

I would say a love/annoyed relationship with the previous 2, always liked riding them but a spate of many niggling problems on both led to their sale.

This ones a keeper though, I'm not gonna let anything get to me this time!

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 am

Welcome back!

I don't sell mine because I fear to come to the same conclusion :lol:

Best bike for twisty roads, don't need any 200mph/200 bhp rocket.
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 am

DribbleDuke wrote:Very nice and welcome home. I do believe that people would be hard pressed to find another bike that lets you check off all the important riding prerequisites and still leave a handful of money in the bank as dose the SD. I would love to try the first iteration, it may be more exciting.

So I bought it from Nukem, I believe it may have a left rearset that used to be yours...?

05DUKE
Minimoto racer

Postby 05DUKE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Sweet looking machine

Is there some1 in NZ who does the mods? or are they all sourced from over many sea's?

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Na bugger all available in New Zealand, everything mostly from the UK, I don't think the US even got the earlier models

Return to Hello