Hello from Halifax, Canada!

introduce yourself
Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Hello from Halifax, Canada!

Postby Scrotumulon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi!

Just took delivery of a new-to-me 2008 Superduke 990. Not many in my region, so had to have it trucked halfway across the country.

No nasty surprises so far, but I’m still in the process of figuring out what has been done, what needs to be done, and what needs to be undone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: Hello from Halifax, Canada!

Postby Scotty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am

Welcome aboard the orange express! Hope you enjoy learning all about your new toy, we look forward to hearing all about it. I expect it’s not really riding weather over there now, so you have time to wrap up and start taking things off to see what’s what.
Have fun :D
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Postby Scrotumulon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Scotty wrote:Welcome aboard the orange express! Hope you enjoy learning all about your new toy, we look forward to hearing all about it. I expect it’s not really riding weather over there now, so you have time to wrap up and start taking things off to see what’s what.
Have fun :D

Thanks.

It’s a little bit too icey for motorcycles at present, so lots of time for cleaning and sorting.

Do these bikes have a fuel tank support rod hidden somewhere?

Unfortunately discovered my fuel tank leaks when tilted up for maintenance. It might not be a big deal, but reading through some posts about deformed fuel tanks is a little alarming.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Great looking bike there. I've got the same Yoshi exhaust. Plastic fuel tanks are susceptible to swelling thanks to the ethanol they use in fuel. I think you can coat the tank to prevent this. It happens on all bikes with plastic tanks.
...splain your screen name :mrgreen:
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Postby Scrotumulon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Black Out wrote:Great looking bike there. I've got the same Yoshi exhaust. Plastic fuel tanks are susceptible to swelling thanks to the ethanol they use in fuel. I think you can coat the tank to prevent this. It happens on all bikes with plastic tanks.
...splain your screen name :mrgreen:

Thanks. I’ve always been a fan of Yosh exhausts. Their repacking/refurbishing service is second to none.

I think the issue with my leaking fuel is coming from the seals underneath. It’s not leaking now with the tank installed, so that’s good.

Seems like the gas cap leaks too. Sheesh, what a sieve of tank.

Screen name credit goes to a jerk of a manager I once had who was making fun of a co-worker that was into role-playing board games. He called him Scrotumulon, so I stole it for my occasional forum ID. I imagine Scrotumulon as a giant, green alien sent to earth to lay his big space balls on everything.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Welcome.

The tank leaking while up might be overflow or breather.

I think the tank support rods were removed from the bikes as they were suspected of causing the tank stretch.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 am

Welcome from Brisbane, hopefully the fuel tank is not a huge issue.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 am

Fuel cap leak may be just via top up overflow not seating to cap correctly or because cap rubber seal has been removed to prevent tank vacuum/pressurisation.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

battleshaft
Minimoto racer

Postby battleshaft » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am

Hello from SW England! Great looking bike. Look forward to seeing your progress. :D

Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Postby Scrotumulon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Looks like all my fuel leaking issues are down to seals and gaskets. Easy fix.

Also, just received an email back from Irving Oil, the largest refiner in my region. They do not use ethanol on their 91 octane gasoline product.

I diligently tracked my mileage a few years ago when I did a lot of driving for work and was consistently getting better mileage using their fuel. Now I know why.

Return to Hello