Aloha from Honolulu

introduce yourself
djeans
Minimoto racer

Aloha from Honolulu

Postby djeans » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 am

Just wanted to say Hello.

Proud owner of a new 2018 1290 Super Duke, and since it didn't come with an owners manual, I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys with lots of questions.

Looking forward to being part of the group.

Thanks

Darron

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Re: Aloha from Honolulu

Postby Black Out » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Wow, a Superduke in Hawaii? You are living the dream.
I'm coming to Maui in April sans Superduke. :roll:
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

djeans
Minimoto racer

Postby djeans » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 am

I don't know about living the dream, but it is nice to live somewhere that has 365 days of great riding weather a year (as long as you don't mind a little rain.)

Maui is beautiful, with some great rides available. Too bad you won't have your bike with you. You can rent bikes (mostly Harleys) but it's a little over priced in my opinion.

Have fun on Maui either way :)

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:42 am

Aloha!
Born & raised or transplant to the island?

I'm lucky enough to visit Honolulu about once a year for vacation w the fam but always wonder about life on 2 wheels there. Low speed limits, lots of police, traffic, limited backroads and no race tracks has me wonder what riders do for fun there. Also, despite having similar helmet laws as many other states (age 17 and under), it seems to me most riders don't wear brain buckets (much less long sleeves/pants) and except for those on active duty, in which case they usually have the lid, fatigues, gloves, boots, and hi-vis vest as I believe is required for them.

I would think having a KTM dirt bike would be pretty incredible out there, but please enlighten me, where do u prefer to ride on Oahu?

Cheers!
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 am

Welcome and G'day from Australia ;)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

welcome 8)

now get some nice Honolulu pics with the Duke :mrgreen:
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Looking forward to the trip back to Maui. I used to live in Cali so we'd go about every other year. Haven't been back in about 14 years now.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

djeans
Minimoto racer

Postby djeans » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:41 am

PBRnr wrote:Aloha!
Born & raised or transplant to the island?

I'm lucky enough to visit Honolulu about once a year for vacation w the fam but always wonder about life on 2 wheels there. Low speed limits, lots of police, traffic, limited backroads and no race tracks has me wonder what riders do for fun there. Also, despite having similar helmet laws as many other states (age 17 and under), it seems to me most riders don't wear brain buckets (much less long sleeves/pants) and except for those on active duty, in which case they usually have the lid, fatigues, gloves, boots, and hi-vis vest as I believe is required for them.

I would think having a KTM dirt bike would be pretty incredible out there, but please enlighten me, where do u prefer to ride on Oahu?

Cheers!

I moved here about 10 years ago from Texas. You are correct in your assessment that there aren't really many places to put the Super Duke through its paces. There WAS a track on the island but it closed about 10 years ago, shortly after I moved here, and traffic is pretty terrible.

Helmets are a choice, and you are right, many choose not to wear one, which I've always wondered about. I wear one. I like my brains inside my head.

Some of the outer islands offer more opportunity to hit the "open road" with less traffic, but Oahu is a traffic nightmare. In that respect, I almost wish I had bought a much smaller bike. Like the saying goes, It's funner to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I may still get a Grom or some other small bike at some point where I can at least ride it at the top of its abilities, because without a track here, the SD will never let me do that. Not even close.

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 am

Welcome to the forum comrade.

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm

djeans wrote:I moved here about 10 years ago from Texas. You are correct in your assessment that there aren't really many places to put the Super Duke through its paces. There WAS a track on the island but it closed about 10 years ago, shortly after I moved here, and traffic is pretty terrible.

Helmets are a choice, and you are right, many choose not to wear one, which I've always wondered about. I wear one. I like my brains inside my head.

Some of the outer islands offer more opportunity to hit the "open road" with less traffic, but Oahu is a traffic nightmare. In that respect, I almost wish I had bought a much smaller bike. Like the saying goes, It's funner to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I may still get a Grom or some other small bike at some point where I can at least ride it at the top of its abilities, because without a track here, the SD will never let me do that. Not even close.

The Hoon finds a way :wink:
Cheers!
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

Return to Hello