Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: Instrument panel

Postby No. 47 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 am

David H wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention that the UK dealer swapped the instrument panel out (three times in all) for new items and they all gave the same results, so concluded the fault wasn't with the panel itself.


What was the outcome?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby No. 47 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Solved and it's another one to add to the checklist - broken red/white wire at 12 pole connector to bottom lhs (sitting on the bike) behind headlamp - from the wiring diagram, this appears to be the power source (excluding backlight) for the speedo unit - manual is wrong/inconsistent re description for this connector and the one above as the bottom one is definitely for the front wiring loom including the speedo unit.

Klinck - suggest deleting (Rectifier Problems) to title of this sticky as there is more than one problem/solution for the 'Soft 32 - Dat 101' issue.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

David H
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby David H » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 pm

It was one of the wires in the two-pin connector in the RHS of the headlamp mask. That particular wire is one of the (two) earths from the instrument panel; without it, the entire panel fails.

User avatar
cloonster
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby cloonster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

had the SD apart over the last week to fit MH, remove SAS, 2nd flies and 02 sensors.

finally started doing some tuneECU work and once done and all mods complete got Soft 33 - Dat 101 and bike wouldn't turn over etc , same dash issues.

Tested battery and was 12.2 V, trickle charged over night and awoke to 12.8 this morning (trickler stating fully charged).

hey presto, started first time and subsequent times. definately in my case battery didn't have enough charge . amazing .5 of a volt makes such a diff.
SA - RM80, CR125, CR250, KX250, KTM 390, CRF450X ---- UK -CRF450x, KTM duke 690 R ( 1month) , SD 2010

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby SDNerd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:00 pm

cloonster wrote:Tested battery and was 12.2 V, trickle charged over night and awoke to 12.8 this morning (trickler stating fully charged).

hey presto, started first time and subsequent times. definately in my case battery didn't have enough charge . amazing .5 of a volt makes such a diff.

It wasn't the Voltage that was the problem (or its difference that solved it). Its that the battery's charge was deficient such that there wasn't enough current available fire it up, whether at 12.2V or 14V.

Point: Voltage alone is not an exclusive indicator of a battery's state or condition.

Mods: Sorry for the thread jack (continuation of ...).

User avatar
41KS
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am
Location: España

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby 41KS » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, got the soft message after tried to start the bike after winter storage. As I am not familiar with the bike yet (I have 2008 SD) I thought it is some Austrian-German humour that battery is soft :lol: Shortly, it wont started, by ear it was 1/4 turns to engine battery was able to do and thats all. However front light was not dim at all when turned on ignition, and no any direct signs of dropped current by this observation. Charged the battery overnight, and on next morning it started like a dream. By the way, first ride ever with this machine tomorrow 8) Hope the weather will be fine, as this battery issue failed my first good-weather attempt on this year :wink:
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

User avatar
41KS
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am
Location: España

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby 41KS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm

41KS wrote:Well, got the soft message after tried to start the bike after winter storage. As I am not familiar with the bike yet (I have 2008 SD) I thought it is some Austrian-German humour that battery is soft :lol: Shortly, it wont started, by ear it was 1/4 turns to engine battery was able to do and thats all. However front light was not dim at all when turned on ignition, and no any direct signs of dropped current by this observation. Charged the battery overnight, and on next morning it started like a dream. By the way, first ride ever with this machine tomorrow 8) Hope the weather will be fine, as this battery issue failed my first good-weather attempt on this year :wink:

Well, got my first ride today at 30*F or -1*C :) Enthusiasm was too much to handle and at least it was dry. But back to Soft 32 - Dat 101 problem. Stopped bike several times during a ride and it did not start, giving Soft 32 - Dat 101 message. Then ignition off, 2 minute wait time, ignition on and it started. However this starting felt like it was really on the edge. 4 times total during 1,5hour ride(!). And last time I got Soft 32 - Dat 101 message and non starting engine after whole 1 hour continous ride :evil: So will change battery next and see what it does to the problem. And, many thanks to my beast not leaving me on the road today :wink: Impressive overtaking dynamics, with appropriate soundstage :) This bike is really potentional licence looser :D Will keep updated what battery change will do to Soft 32 - Dat 101 message.
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

snowman394
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby snowman394 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm

So I rode 120 miles yesterday medium paced in the canyons of CO, I had to do 5 miles of smooth dirt road, where I was going really slow, no mud. I got home parked the bike for the night and went to start it this morning and got the soft 32 dat 101 error. I have the battery on the tender now to see if thats the issue. But could it have been the battery discharging overnight, or is it more likely the regulator? I have checked all the connections in the battery box and haven't gotten it to start. Any suggestion would help, seems like this is a common problem with no common solution. I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars replacing an unnecessary part.

thanks again

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby ktmguy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:11 am

snowman394 wrote:So I rode 120 miles yesterday medium paced in the canyons of CO, I had to do 5 miles of smooth dirt road, where I was going really slow, no mud. I got home parked the bike for the night and went to start it this morning and got the soft 32 dat 101 error. I have the battery on the tender now to see if thats the issue. But could it have been the battery discharging overnight, or is it more likely the regulator? I have checked all the connections in the battery box and haven't gotten it to start. Any suggestion would help, seems like this is a common problem with no common solution. I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars replacing an unnecessary part.

thanks again


I suggest checking the connectors. The wires sometimes break on the following spots:
Earth (negative to frame) from the regulator.
Big brown connector comming from the alternator (see left hand side under the lower spoiler.
And all the connectors in general for moisture or loose wiring.

Your of road trip might have shaken something loose.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

snowman394
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby snowman394 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:55 am

[/quote]

I suggest checking the connectors. The wires sometimes break on the following spots:
Earth (negative to frame) from the regulator.
Big brown connector comming from the alternator (see left hand side under the lower spoiler.
And all the connectors in general for moisture or loose wiring.

Your of road trip might have shaken something loose.[/quote]

Charged battery, stopped charging at 12.52V should be enough to crank it over?

the grounds were all tight, I cleaned the connections, and still no go.

Does this mean its the regulator? any thing else I should check before buying the regulator? The bike has exactly 15006 miles, and has the original regulator, could it just be old and worn out? Also would the bike of died if something shook loose? It ran fine when I shut it off and then wouldn't start back up in the am.

User avatar
41KS
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am
Location: España

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby 41KS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm

41KS wrote:
41KS wrote:Well, got the soft message after tried to start the bike after winter storage. As I am not familiar with the bike yet (I have 2008 SD) I thought it is some Austrian-German humour that battery is soft :lol: Shortly, it wont started, by ear it was 1/4 turns to engine battery was able to do and thats all. However front light was not dim at all when turned on ignition, and no any direct signs of dropped current by this observation. Charged the battery overnight, and on next morning it started like a dream. By the way, first ride ever with this machine tomorrow 8) Hope the weather will be fine, as this battery issue failed my first good-weather attempt on this year :wink:

Well, got my first ride today at 30*F or -1*C :) Enthusiasm was too much to handle and at least it was dry. But back to Soft 32 - Dat 101 problem. Stopped bike several times during a ride and it did not start, giving Soft 32 - Dat 101 message. Then ignition off, 2 minute wait time, ignition on and it started. However this starting felt like it was really on the edge. 4 times total during 1,5hour ride(!). And last time I got Soft 32 - Dat 101 message and non starting engine after whole 1 hour continous ride :evil: So will change battery next and see what it does to the problem. And, many thanks to my beast not leaving me on the road today :wink: Impressive overtaking dynamics, with appropriate soundstage :) This bike is really potentional licence looser :D Will keep updated what battery change will do to Soft 32 - Dat 101 message.

Changed the battery today, after original YUASA have been checked by my battery shop and found too weak (too much internal resistance, ie. old). Went for VARTA TTZ14S-BS 12V 11Ah 230A. This cost me 89€, original YUASA has been quoted for me 168€. YUASA produces above mentioned battery for VARTA as I heard from battery shop. I checked the housing - both new and old looked identical, presumably coming from same exactly the same mold. Not sure about contents though. There was other KTM 950 ADV in front of the shop, and has been measured for needed starting current. With warm engine it was 186A(!), so it IS pretty significant - with cold engine it is probably even more. Keeping in mind that from the same size batteries the one for KTM with 230A Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), is the most powerful in production line, the reason in my case for Soft 32 - Dat 101 message is obvious. If CCA capacity goes down about 15% (maybe 20%) with age, there is guaranteed start of the problems. Other vise worn out battery seems to be OK: voltage normal, bright front light etc. But significant amount of CCA needed to start this engine keeps the battery on the edge, and it comes to the limit with aging fast - 15% drop from original capacity and its already on a "try and miss" zone. Needless to say, after pouring in electrolyte, holding it still for 2 hours, installing to the bike - engine started with happy enthusiasm coming from 230 CCA. So my case with Soft 32 - Dat 101 is closed.
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

User avatar
omky756
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: Ventura,Ca.93001-Sunny So.Calif...

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby omky756 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:41 am

Glad you got it sorted bro.. :)
Keeping them on a trickle charger is the best
way to good battery health..
When they even start to go down..they can
give all kinds of strange glitches....and send
anyone thinking something other than the battery
Is going bad...one thing for sure...
You will remember where to start next time..
8)

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby No. 47 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:28 am

'Fraid in my experience, Varta never last very long on large v-twins - buy the OE Yuasa battery from a Honda dealer (1300 Pan European).
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

User avatar
41KS
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am
Location: España

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby 41KS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:24 pm

As I already get used with "KTM expenses" next will be Shorai most probably with its 900gram weight (and 2,5kg weight saving compared to OEM battery). I like how the bike tend to wheelie from throttle only with less than half tank of fuel, so any weight saving from the front seems to be very welcome :) Its cool when front wheel become airborne at 100km/h with no clutch when doing full throttle at second gear from 60 -125km/h :)
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

J 13USH
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby J 13USH » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Just sat in a mechanics in France while they look at my bike.
half way through a 3K mile road trip my satnav packed in so had to buy a car satnav and wire a cigarette lighter socket behind the headlight unit onto the wire that previously supplied the satnav. When trying to start the bike in the morning it wouldn't start. I had to take the battery off to charge it up as there was no power socket near the bike. After replacing the battery everything was fine for a couple of days. After setting off a couple of days later I got the soft dat code with a reset clock but everything else was fine. The next day, when riding, the clocks and dials would all disappear for a couple of minutes and then come back on with the clock reset. This happened a few times, then when riding on the motorway, the bike just cut out and the wheel locked up, I tried bump starting it while rolling but the back wheel just locked up. When the bike stopped there was smoke coming from the battery area and when I tried to start it, nothing happened, apart from the clocks flickered. 10 mins later the clocks of lights wouldn't even come on.
Sorry for the long story, just wanted to add as much detail as possible.

User avatar
fuel
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Dudley UK

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby fuel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm

J 13USH wrote:Just sat in a mechanics in France while they look at my bike.
half way through a 3K mile road trip my satnav packed in so had to buy a car satnav and wire a cigarette lighter socket behind the headlight unit onto the wire that previously supplied the satnav. When trying to start the bike in the morning it wouldn't start. I had to take the battery off to charge it up as there was no power socket near the bike. After replacing the battery everything was fine for a couple of days. After setting off a couple of days later I got the soft dat code with a reset clock but everything else was fine. The next day, when riding, the clocks and dials would all disappear for a couple of minutes and then come back on with the clock reset. This happened a few times, then when riding on the motorway, the bike just cut out and the wheel locked up, I tried bump starting it while rolling but the back wheel just locked up. When the bike stopped there was smoke coming from the battery area and when I tried to start it, nothing happened, apart from the clocks flickered. 10 mins later the clocks of lights wouldn't even come on.
Sorry for the long story, just wanted to add as much detail as possible.



Sounds like the recitfier's gone.

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby ktmguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:36 am

fuel wrote:
J 13USH wrote:Just sat in a mechanics in France while they look at my bike.
half way through a 3K mile road trip my satnav packed in so had to buy a car satnav and wire a cigarette lighter socket behind the headlight unit onto the wire that previously supplied the satnav. When trying to start the bike in the morning it wouldn't start. I had to take the battery off to charge it up as there was no power socket near the bike. After replacing the battery everything was fine for a couple of days. After setting off a couple of days later I got the soft dat code with a reset clock but everything else was fine. The next day, when riding, the clocks and dials would all disappear for a couple of minutes and then come back on with the clock reset. This happened a few times, then when riding on the motorway, the bike just cut out and the wheel locked up, I tried bump starting it while rolling but the back wheel just locked up. When the bike stopped there was smoke coming from the battery area and when I tried to start it, nothing happened, apart from the clocks flickered. 10 mins later the clocks of lights wouldn't even come on.
Sorry for the long story, just wanted to add as much detail as possible.



Sounds like the recitfier's gone.


What Bic said or you have a burned off connector somwhere. If the smoke came out of the batt compartment start with a look there.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

J 13USH
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby J 13USH » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm home now and the bikes still in France. It should be back home in about 3-4 weeks. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a rectifier and decent battery, preferably yuasa or equivalent in UK?

cheesie
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: N.Ireland

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby cheesie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:12 am

J 13USH wrote:Just sat in a mechanics in France while they look at my bike.
half way through a 3K mile road trip my satnav packed in so had to buy a car satnav and wire a cigarette lighter socket behind the headlight unit onto the wire that previously supplied the satnav. When trying to start the bike in the morning it wouldn't start. I had to take the battery off to charge it up as there was no power socket near the bike. After replacing the battery everything was fine for a couple of days. After setting off a couple of days later I got the soft dat code with a reset clock but everything else was fine. The next day, when riding, the clocks and dials would all disappear for a couple of minutes and then come back on with the clock reset. This happened a few times, then when riding on the motorway, the bike just cut out and the wheel locked up, I tried bump starting it while rolling but the back wheel just locked up. When the bike stopped there was smoke coming from the battery area and when I tried to start it, nothing happened, apart from the clocks flickered. 10 mins later the clocks of lights wouldn't even come on.
Sorry for the long story, just wanted to add as much detail as possible.

don't want to scare you but that's what hapend to mine only mine blew the ecu along with a newish shorai

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby ktmguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 am

J 13USH wrote:I'm home now and the bikes still in France. It should be back home in about 3-4 weeks. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a rectifier and decent battery, preferably yuasa or equivalent in UK?


Advice: Do it once and get a Shindengen.
Google or find one here http://www.roadstercycle.com/
or here: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/KTM-151
Make sure to ask and confirm first it is a Shindengen.

They are much more reliable than the original and charge better also. Some ooutfits do you a kit that plugs straight in.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby No. 47 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 am

Buy the Yuasa at a Honda dealer.

I've been waiting for my second OEM reg/rec to fail and replace it with a Shindengen but still waiting after 50k+ miles since fitting.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

J 13USH
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby J 13USH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am

Ordered a shindengen and a yuasa, hopefully it won't be the ecu too. Cheers guys. The bike should be back around the 2nd Oct.

User avatar
Nathan990
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby Nathan990 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I thought I would post this here as I had similar issues with my bike, thought I would put up my solution. (may help others that look at this thread, not all)

Symptoms - Dash resetting when idling, indicators blink fast intermittently. Bike stalled when coming to a stop and wouldn't start for a minute. Sometimes the soft message would appear. Bike seemed to run fine when riding at normal speeds.

After looking over the entire bike and every! plug, it turns out it was the plug on top of the starter relay (next to the battery). Its a 4 pin plug. Two of the male pins inside of the relay were only just very slightly bent to one side causing a bad connection. I carefully bent them slightly in the opposite direction and the bike runs perfect.

No problems since and its been a few months :D

J 13USH
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby J 13USH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I changed the reg/rec and battery, took it out for a ride and the revs keep cutting out just for a split second in low revs. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it sound like the ecu?

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: Soft 32 - Dat 101 (Rectifier Problems)

Postby No. 47 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Just revs or lights/dash cutting out also?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

PreviousNext

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests