Cheapest airfilter?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
AndersH
Stunt rider

Cheapest airfilter?

Postby AndersH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Guys

What is the cheapest decent air filter on the market? I'm unemployed at the moment and can't afford most of the air filters that have to be ordered outside of the EU, because of very expensive import tax rules in Denmark.

So the best would be an airfilter from inside the EU, and best price/performance.

At the moment the CPR Rottweiler is the best value airfilter, as far as I can see.. But it will still become expensive when it arrives in Denmark, due to our weird rules. It will be about twice the price on their website.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in regards
Anders

41KS
Two wheeled terror

Re: Cheapest airfilter?

Postby 41KS » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 pm

If you are not afraid to do some DIY stuff, please consider combination of this work:
http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 250#p14239
with one of these pieces:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/ITG-A ... index.html

By the way, do anyone know exact inside measures of stock air filter housing (I mean grey base plate on first link)??

If length allow, one of these sausage sets will be an extremely elegant solution with its 379mm length and almost full coverage of the base plate:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/ITG-A ... index.html

How does it sounds?
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

Doon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Doon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 pm

I have this setup,
1 x ITG MEGAFLOW SAUSAGE AIR FILTER JC30-100
1 x ITG BLANK BASE PLATE FOR SPECIALS to suit JC30-100 FILTER.

This was fitted to a 07 sdr.
2007 SDR, GSXR 1000 Scorpion Pipe, ITG foam filter,Rc8 stacks, PCV with autotune,basic breather mod, dual seat conversion.

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:24 am

Think you'll find this is cheaper.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

AndersH wrote:Hi Guys

What is the cheapest decent air filter on the market? I'm unemployed at the moment and can't afford most of the air filters that have to be ordered outside of the EU, because of very expensive import tax rules in Denmark.

So the best would be an airfilter from inside the EU, and best price/performance.

At the moment the CPR Rottweiler is the best value airfilter, as far as I can see.. But it will still become expensive when it arrives in Denmark, due to our weird rules. It will be about twice the price on their website.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in regards

CPR is really good and they also put a lower price on the invoice if you want :wink: Helpful lot they are.
Do you also pay heaps for importing "used" parts otherwise get them to unpack it and make it look a bit used before mailing to you.
Another option is to get them to mail it to a friend /member in holland and go for a ride/ drive.
Or a visit to the states maybe, you or a friend... maybe, just saying...
Anders
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

fuel
Stunt rider

Postby fuel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 am

Theres a UK importer of the Rottwiler, if that helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRP-Rottweile ... 231ebd4572

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

[quote http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 250#p14239
By the way, do anyone know exact inside measures of stock air filter housing (I mean grey base plate on first link)??quote]

365mm X 155mm X 6mm

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am

fuel wrote:Theres a UK importer of the Rottwiler, if that helps.

This post just cost me 214.00 quid :lol:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

fuel
Stunt rider

Postby fuel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am

TLS_Russ wrote:
fuel wrote:Theres a UK importer of the Rottwiler, if that helps.

This post just cost me 214.00 quid :lol:

Don't forget the £2.70 postage! :mrgreen:

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks a lot for that Ebay link! It will save me over 100 euro that way, and also a lot of time etc!

I will go out for that filter, even though it costs 20% of all the money I get this month.. it sucks being unemployed :D

41KS
Two wheeled terror

Postby 41KS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 pm

AndersH wrote:Thanks a lot for that Ebay link! It will save me over 100 euro that way, and also a lot of time etc!

I will go out for that filter, even though it costs 20% of all the money I get this month.. it sucks being unemployed :D

You are getting 214x5=1070GBP being unemployed? World is pretty relative I should say :)
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm

41KS wrote:
AndersH wrote:Thanks a lot for that Ebay link! It will save me over 100 euro that way, and also a lot of time etc!

You are getting 214x5=1070GBP being unemployed? World is pretty relative I should say :)

Yes I get about 1100GBP each month because I payed for some type of "unemployment insurrance" while I worked.
If you don't payed to that system, you would not get as much. As far as I remember, people without only get 623 GBP every month, and you can't own anything that's more expensive than 1075 GBP. So If you own a car or a motorcycle, a nice HIFI stereo etc.. you will have to sell those before you can recieve the benefits.

Denmark is a lot more expensive to live in, compared to most countries. Rent, food, fuel, insurrance, etc is more expensive than most other places. That's why we have to get what you might think it "a lot of money". :-) (the Superduke was 24955,90 GBP from new in Denmark, the R model was about 27k)

You can compare countries here http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ra ... ountry.jsp .

41KS
Two wheeled terror

Postby 41KS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 pm

AndersH wrote:
41KS wrote:

Yes I get about 1100GBP each month because I payed for some type of "unemployment insurrance" while I worked.
If you don't payed to that system, you would not get as much. As far as I remember, people without only get 623 GBP every month, and you can't own anything that's more expensive than 1075 GBP. So If you own a car or a motorcycle, a nice HIFI stereo etc.. you will have to sell those before you can recieve the benefits.

Denmark is a lot more expensive to live in, compared to most countries. Rent, food, fuel, insurrance, etc is more expensive than most other places. That's why we have to get what you might think it "a lot of money". :-) (the Superduke was 24955,90 GBP from new in Denmark, the R model was about 27k)

You can compare countries here http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ra ... ountry.jsp .

Its going OT, and not that it concerns me a much, but in Estonia which is also EU with relatively the same prices as they are in EU everywhere - the average salary is about 623GBP, before taxes :) I understand your point 100%, Denmark have possibly cheapest car park in Europe because of the taxes. Whole world is set up in a way that 90-95% of population do not leave anything over after running expenses and taxes, no matter of incomes. However bigger numbers leave you more room to play anyway, if you are smart ;)

Concerning taxes there is a general story: For example Danish prime minister says: "Until they pay the taxes and our social system is secured, i do not care what they do with the rest of their money." Estonian prime minister says almost the same: "Until they pay taxes and our social system is secured, i do not care where they get rest of their money." :mrgreen:

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 am

haha :-)

You are right.. And to others reading this, the reason why this:

"I understand your point 100%, Denmark have possibly cheapest car park in Europe because of the taxes."

is correct, it is because we have some of the cheapest cars in the world, BEFORE taxes, but some of the most expensive after the taxes :)

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 pm

£40 incl. express overnight delivery.

Image Image

Kept the K&N to stop the stacks rattling on the intakes and to give some weather protection, with the OE lower part of the airbox, to the throttle body - will be replaced with a flat plate as soon as.

Did not need to slit cut the MR-013s, as Viking did, as they slipped over the stacks fairly easily.

Not pretty but makes all the right noises and seems to work well with Joker's map.
Last edited by No. 47 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

migs16
Minimoto racer

Postby migs16 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 am

No. 47 wrote:£40 incl. express overnight delivery.

Image Image

Kept the K&N to stop the stacks rattling on the intakes and to give some weather protection, with the OE lower part of the airbox, to the throttle body - will be replaced with a flat plate as soon as.

Did not need to slit cut the MR-013s, as Viking did, as they slipped over the stacks fairly easily.

Not pretty but makes all the right noises and seems to work well with Joker's map.

im very interseted in getting myself a set of the filters. please fill me in on how they perform and how there working for you. and also which map did you use, like what set up do you have?

i plan on running mine without the bottom of the oe air box because i completely hate the look of the stock air box. any big issuses using them without the bottom piece?

thanks
andrew

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 am

08 SDR - Akra headers and round exhausts without baffles, airbox and Joker's (Jocke's on TuneECU website) as above.
'01 Ducati 996S

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:41 pm

migs16 wrote:im very interseted in getting myself a set of the filters. please fill me in on how they perform and how there working for you. and also which map did you use, like what set up do you have?

i plan on running mine without the bottom of the oe air box because i completely hate the look of the stock air box. any big issuses using them without the bottom piece?

thanks
andrew

Have a look at Vikings thread, fair bit of info about them
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

im very interseted in getting myself a set of the filters. please fill me in on how they perform and how there working for you.

About 100 miles today and seems to be working well with Joker's/Jocke's map - still have little glitches at certain rpm/throttle openings but much less pronounced than with the OE airbox and they might be coincident with the very particular fuelling peaks of Joker's map compared to the Akra map, gummy injectors as mentioned in another thread or something else unrelated to the map - will now try the Akra map, though, for comparison. Seat of the pants dyno = big improvement in power, smoothness, throttle response, etc and none of the problems that Viking had with initial poor running after fitting the pods, possibly 'cos mines an SDR not SD and/or the map.

Given the lack of dyno and custom map for the moment, happy to recommend the pods as a cheap as chips alternative to the OE box - only downside is the 'clucky' intake noise at initial low rpm but I had that with both my Duke II and 525 EXC airbox mods.
'01 Ducati 996S

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom