Motohooligan or Rottweiler?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
D1rkola
Minimoto racer

Motohooligan or Rottweiler?

Postby D1rkola » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Guys!

I have my major service coming up (15,000 kms) early next year and am thinking of doing the airbox, SAS etc while its all off anyway.

I'm thinking either the Motohooligan below.

http://www.motohooliganperformance.com/ ... duct_id=93

or the Rottweiler kit below with their SAS kit

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... -duke-990/

Any insight on which one would be the better way to go? Both are around the same price, have similar outputs etc etc. Couldn't find anything about comparing the 2.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sam

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Re: Motohooligan or Rottweiler?

Postby Joe Biker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:43 pm

when i am ready i am going motohooligan
i have used his products and they are top notch
i like the idea of a k and n air filter setup rather than socks
his fit n finish are the best i have ever used 8)

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:56 pm

after considerable research the ITG is what I am using, works great and economical ...

ITG filter kit KTM 990 $159.95

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/ktm990-950.html
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

D1rkola
Minimoto racer

Postby D1rkola » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks guys. I'm probably leaning toward the Motohooligan one as it seems to be the more common one, i just like the idea of the slip cover for the Rottweiler. Anyone seen anything similar that can be used on the motohooligan?

Wow that ITG one is cheap!

Kotari
Minimoto racer

Postby Kotari » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 am

This is just my opinion but i think Rottweiler is the one i would choose. Motohooligan looks very clean and top quality but there is something that leans me towards Rottweiler :D I will order Rottweiler stage 4 kit to my SDR 1290 before next summer.
Now: KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2017
Had: : KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2015 The beast.. Totalled..
Had: Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K8
Had: Kawasaki ER-6n 2007

Markey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Markey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Recently fitted the Rottweiler and all i can see is OMG!

Totally transformed my bike and the intake roar is amazing...

I'm sure the MH will do just the same or similar job with equal gains as at the end of the day its just about pulling more air in yeah! 8)

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Both are excellent. I've purchased stuff from both, it seems dirt guys lean more towards the Rottweiler since they're already familiar with foam filters.

Motohooligan definitely looks waaaaay better.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Plastic and foam (Rotty) verses CNC Ally (MH) for roughly the same price.
I had an MH on my old 990 and loved the product, fit and finish was spot on.
So definitely be using a MH one.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:26 am

If anyone is umming and aaring about whether to buy a Motohooligan product or a Rotweiller one consider this.

Aaron, who owns MH was one of the original Superduke owners and (as far as I am aware) developed this product himself through hours of research, prototyping and effort. They are really high quality products made from the best materials by a guy who cares. When Aaron launched the Motobox it was so well received that there was a rush for every 990 owner to get hold of one and the reports of the added power and sound gains made a big buzz in the KTM circles, not just Superdukes but in the off road community too. So then Rotweiller came along and more or less copied the Motobox outright. I may be wrong but this is how I remember it. They just ripped off his work and mass produced it because they had the resources and marketing clout. There was quite a bit of debate on this forum about it all.

So now it all seems to have been forgotten and decisions are being made based on cost and other things. But if you are undecided or need a reason to be pushed in one direction or another then perhaps you could show a bit of loyalty to the originator of the design. :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

tango2
Two wheeled terror

Postby tango2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 am

bic_bicknell wrote:If anyone is umming and aaring about whether to buy a Motohooligan product or a Rotweiller one consider this.

Aaron, who owns MH was one of the original Superduke owners and (as far as I am aware) developed this product himself through hours of research, prototyping and effort. They are really high quality products made from the best materials by a guy who cares. When Aaron launched the Motobox it was so well received that there was a rush for every 990 owner to get hold of one and the reports of the added power and sound gains made a big buzz in the KTM circles, not just Superdukes but in the off road community too. So then Rotweiller came along and more or less copied the Motobox outright. I may be wrong but this is how I remember it. They just ripped off his work and mass produced it because they had the resources and marketing clout. There was quite a bit of debate on this forum about it all.

So now it all seems to have been forgotten and decisions are being made based on cost and other things. But if you are undecided or need a reason to be pushed in one direction or another then perhaps you could show a bit of loyalty to the originator of the design. :D

Absolutely agree.

The Motohouligan is a thing of beauty. I'm looking forward to getting one on my 1290.

cdlabate
Trackday hero

Postby cdlabate » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:27 am

Motohooligan. A breath of fresh air!

:wink:

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 am

ITG, more surface area, more breath :D

2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

Nukem
Two wheeled terror

Postby Nukem » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:23 am

fasteddy wrote:ITG, more surface area, more breath :D

Where did you get the ITG from? Nothing for KTMs on their website.

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:21 pm

a few people sell the blank, then order the filter that fits. Rottweiler uses ITG, so it's a Rottweiler for a lot less cash. MH is very sexy though...
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:22 pm

I bought the following filter from ITG USA, ITG Filters Megaflow Performance Air Filter JC30/65, I bought the base plate from Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-base-plate-3mm-thick-for-ITG-superflow-air-filter-for-the-KTM-990-inj-/321719188351

In my post at the top of this thread is a link for a similar setup that will work (all 990's appear to be able to use same baseplate), alternatively you can get a blank baseplate from ITG and cut out holes yourself, there is even a nice drawing on one of the Adventure web sites showing the layout / measurements.
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

Motohooligan
Stunt rider

Postby Motohooligan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 pm

fasteddy wrote:ITG, more surface area, more breath :D

I generally stay out of these discussions but I feel the need to chime in when the perceived math doesn't add up.

Fact of the matter is that the filter used in the motobox has about 137 sqr inches of surface as apposed to aprox. 109 sqr in in some "other" units. At the end of the day the overall filter area has little to do with performance gains but more to do with service intervals. There is a point of diminishing returns as at even 100% volumetric efficiency the mass airflow of this engine is well below either the motobox filter or the "other" alternatives. That said the K&N is well known for extraordinary reliability, filtering capacity and high flow over long service periods. Please read here for more information..... http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
In the garage now:
08 SDR home at last!!!
96 CBR900RR
05 XR650R motard
76 CB550F
Past loves:82 ATC70, 85 ATC250R, 73 Kawi H2,
76 KZ900, Jawa twin cam speedway bike, KZ1000 newzeland sidehack, 96XR400 05 Superduke

D1rkola
Minimoto racer

Postby D1rkola » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:00 am

Wow Thanks everyone for the input, greatly appreciated. I've been OS for a couple of weeks and just saw all the replies.

The Motohooligan definitely appeals to me on all fronts and will be placing an order soon :)

delcara
Minimoto racer

Postby delcara » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 am

Mmmm.. I like the looks of the MH more then the looks of the Rotweiler. Its a shame that the MH is not available in Europe, with the import/shipping and taxes the MH is way more expensive then the rottweiler. So I think i'm going for the rottweiler. On the other hand, i've heard that the MH is alumunium which conducts heat. And we wan't cold air going in to the engine, not hot air :(

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:22 pm

delcara wrote:Mmmm.. I like the looks of the MH more then the looks of the Rotweiler. Its a shame that the MH is not available in Europe, with the import/shipping and taxes the MH is way more expensive then the rottweiler. So I think i'm going for the rottweiler. On the other hand, i've heard that the MH is alumunium which conducts heat. And we wan't cold air going in to the engine, not hot air :(

I don't think the aluminium is conductive enough to absorb and then radiate enough heat to change the ambient air temp being sucked into the throttle bodies.

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of it :P
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Jacko
Minimoto racer

Postby Jacko » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 am

would be interested to see a side by side of these two, i.e. same dyno, same bike. Rotty clearly has more filter surface area however i doubt that is a limiting factor on the MH, only thing i would think would be different is the flow of air into the stacks. the air through the MH has to go up and around the stacks where as the air trough the Rotty can enter from any angle some of which can travel directly down through the stacks. id have thought this straighter route would be beneficial but does the air from different angles cause additional turbulence when compared to the flow in the MH?

07orangeSD
Minimoto racer

Postby 07orangeSD » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Aphex wrote:
delcara wrote:Mmmm.. I like the looks of the MH more then the looks of the Rotweiler. Its a shame that the MH is not available in Europe, with the import/shipping and taxes the MH is way more expensive then the rottweiler. So I think i'm going for the rottweiler. On the other hand, i've heard that the MH is alumunium which conducts heat. And we wan't cold air going in to the engine, not hot air :(

I don't think the aluminium is conductive enough to absorb and then radiate enough heat to change the ambient air temp being sucked into the throttle bodies.

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of it :P

The new Rotty v 3.0 base is now aluminium as well, see here http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... -duke-990/

Will the alum. absorb more heat than the stock plastic box, possible, however there is allot more air space around the Moto box to move air and dissipate the heat.
07' SuperDuke (Orange)
Full Akra exhaust and Akra tune (will be Dyno tuned soon), R&G tidy tail, Skidmarx screen, Dunlop Q3's, Renthal bars, [Motohooligan air box, secondary's, SAS plates, tank brackets, upper and lower sliders]; Lots more to come.

07orangeSD
Minimoto racer

Postby 07orangeSD » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Jacko wrote:would be interested to see a side by side of these two, i.e. same dyno, same bike. Rotty clearly has more filter surface area however i doubt that is a limiting factor on the MH, only thing i would think would be different is the flow of air into the stacks. the air through the MH has to go up and around the stacks where as the air trough the Rotty can enter from any angle some of which can travel directly down through the stacks. id have thought this straighter route would be beneficial but does the air from different angles cause additional turbulence when compared to the flow in the MH?

If you read Aaron's response above the Moto box has more filter area than the others and either unit flows more air than the engine can use. This would make the filter area is a moot point for air flow at this time other than service intervals.

Yes the Rotty is open on top, but what is above it and how much air in going to come in directly through the top?

Both intakes work well, it comes down to personal preference, if I was in the dirt on an adventure 990 I would look at the foam set up, for the street I want the K&N and to buy from a forum member.
07' SuperDuke (Orange)
Full Akra exhaust and Akra tune (will be Dyno tuned soon), R&G tidy tail, Skidmarx screen, Dunlop Q3's, Renthal bars, [Motohooligan air box, secondary's, SAS plates, tank brackets, upper and lower sliders]; Lots more to come.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Jacko
Minimoto racer

Postby Jacko » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Just read the last 20pages of the Austin Racing thread, has anyone ran a full AR system in conjunction with a PCV and Rotty/MH?

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 pm

that's me now, haven't dynod yet, but when I do...
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom