07 tank on 05 SD - Fuel pump loom adaptor?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
ambachnz
Minimoto racer

07 tank on 05 SD - Fuel pump loom adaptor?

Postby ambachnz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi all,

I have now got myself a second hand 07 tank and also managed to pick up a brand new 07 fuel pump for cheap.
My SD is the early 05 model and when I lifted the tank there is only one plug / cable going to the fuel pump. The 07 tank I have purchased has a connector for the low fuel sensor where my standard 05 pump has the reserve sensor built in to the electrics. I have searched the forum and only found one person who has mentioned a loom adaptor that would allow me to use the new pump and low fuel sensor with my 05 electrics. Does the loom adaptor actually exist and if so where can I buy one? My 05 fuel pump has seen better days and I would very much prefer to use the new 07 fuel pump and continue to have a functioning reserve light. Any help on this would be great.

Cheers,
Alain

duke of denmark
Minimoto racer

Re: 07 tank on 05 SD - Fuel pump loom adaptor?

Postby duke of denmark » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:19 am

you have to make your own adaptor. you can also take the levelsensor from your 05 pump and fit it in your 07 pump.
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. A Einstein.

ambachnz
Minimoto racer

Postby ambachnz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:20 am

duke of denmark wrote:you have to make your own adaptor. you can also take the levelsensor from your 05 pump and fit it in your 07 pump.

I don't suppose you have a guide on how to make my own adaptor? Or a guide on how to fit the 05 level sensor to the 07 pump?

duke of denmark
Minimoto racer

Postby duke of denmark » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 pm

In order to change the level sensor you have to take apart both fuelpumps. in the bottom of the fuelpump there is a connector,simply pull out the levelsensor on the 05 pump and insert it in the connector of the 07 pump,it should be the free slot just above the red wire.

If you want to make an adaptor you have to by the connectors first.These can be ordered from ktm as an original part.

on the 05 wire loom connetion for the fuelpump there are 3 wires, the red/brown is for the level sensor,the brown is positive ,and blue black is negative.
on the fuelpump red is positive and black is negative.the blue is for the levelsensor but it is not used on the 07 pump.
on the 07 fueltank levelsensor orange is positive and black is negative.

so in order to make the adaptor. the brown wire from the 3 pin connector on the 05 wireloom goes to the red wire on the 3 pin connector on the fuelpump and the blue/black goes to the black wire on the fuel pump.the blue/black is also used as negative wire for the 2 pin connector from the levelsensor.
the red/brown wire from the same 3 pin connector goes to the orange wire on the 2 pin connector from the levelsensor.

I hope this makes sensehttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68698941/IMAG0005.jpg
blue wire in pic is not used

ambachnz
Minimoto racer

Postby ambachnz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:46 am

duke of denmark wrote:In order to change the level sensor you have to take apart both fuelpumps. in the bottom of the fuelpump there is a connector,simply pull out the levelsensor on the 05 pump and insert it in the connector of the 07 pump,it should be the free slot just above the red wire.

If you want to make an adaptor you have to by the connectors first.These can be ordered from ktm as an original part.

on the 05 wire loom connetion for the fuelpump there are 3 wires, the red/brown is for the level sensor,the brown is positive ,and blue black is negative.
on the fuelpump red is positive and black is negative.the blue is for the levelsensor but it is not used on the 07 pump.
on the 07 fueltank levelsensor orange is positive and black is negative.

so in order to make the adaptor. the brown wire from the 3 pin connector on the 05 wireloom goes to the red wire on the 3 pin connector on the fuelpump and the blue/black goes to the black wire on the fuel pump.the blue/black is also used as negative wire for the 2 pin connector from the levelsensor.
the red/brown wire from the same 3 pin connector goes to the orange wire on the 2 pin connector from the levelsensor.

I hope this makes sensehttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68698941/IMAG0005.jpg
blue wire in pic is not used

Thank you so much for all that info above! I'm keen to make the most of having a low fuel sensor in a better location in the tank so will attempt to build my own loom adaptor. I have been searching the last couple of days for the connector part #s that I need to buy, did you get them from KTM or a 3rd party? I am pretty sure I need Connector AM, AR and AL. Is that correct? Do they have long part #s for the connectors?

Cheers,
Alain

duke of denmark
Minimoto racer

Postby duke of denmark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm

AM/AR for the pump and AT for the sensor i think.http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/TechBull/SpareConnectors.pdf
I ordered them at ktm. :)

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 pm

05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

ambachnz
Minimoto racer

Postby ambachnz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:12 am

duke of denmark wrote:AM/AR for the pump and AT for the sensor i think.http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/TechBull/SpareConnectors.pdf
I ordered them at ktm. :)

Awesome, thanks for that. My local KTM stealer here in New Zealand charges a fortune for parts so I ended up getting what I think are the right connectors from Ebay...

This pair for the fuel pump connector :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sumitomo-3-pin- ... SwGzlTxd-Z

And this pair for the low level sensor :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT090-2pin-seal ... SwRgZTxeH-

Do you think these will be ok? :? :? :?

ambachnz
Minimoto racer

Postby ambachnz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:12 am

jambox wrote:Here's a how to

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9486

Thanks for that, I have read through that thread several times now!

Nukem
Two wheeled terror

Postby Nukem » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:39 am

Where in NZ are you ambachnz? I'd love to sneak a peak at this mod in progress. SO sick of the fuel light coming on just after 100kms.

Did you get the tank from Australia?

ambachnz
Minimoto racer

Postby ambachnz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:52 am

Nukem wrote:Where in NZ are you ambachnz? I'd love to sneak a peak at this mod in progress. SO sick of the fuel light coming on just after 100kms.

Sorry for the late reply! I am in AKL but more than happy to send you pics when I finally get the connectors and get it wired up? Or you can come round and have a look if your ever up in AKL? I feel your pain about the fuel light! I've got the rotty intake and yoshi pipes so been running the AKRA map to avoid engine running lean. My backpack has singe marks from the flames coming out the rear but I only get 80kms before the F@#$%^G fuel light comes on. Then I go to fill it up and it only takes 9 litres so in theory there is still 6 litres in there! Hopefully with the bigger tank and a tune I should get a few more kms before having to stop at the next gassy.

I got the tank from these guys : http://stores.ebay.com/AZ-Cycle-Parts
Cost me $149.99 USD for the tank and $240 NZD for shipping. :shock: :cry:
Make sure you use YouShop for shipping because customs doesn't charge GST on YouShop freight.
If you pay AZ-Cycle-Parts for the freight and they ship via FedEx it will cost the same but customs will charge GST for the tank AND the freight.

Nukem
Two wheeled terror

Postby Nukem » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Yeah, cool - some pics would be good. I've been putting off the upgrade because it looks pretty fiddly, but since getting the motohooligan airbox, the fuel light is a constant friend. I still get 150 kms out of the tank - but by then I'm nervous about being caught short.

I'm actually in Auckland this weekend visiting family, and going to drop by the Motorcycle show, but it's a flying visit in and out.

You are lucky you can get a tune - there isn't anywhere in this part of the country that can do one. Seems like a massive opening in the market for someone. What map are you running?

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 am

ambachnz wrote:
Nukem wrote:Where in NZ are you ambachnz? I'd love to sneak a peak at this mod in progress. SO sick of the fuel light coming on just after 100kms.

Sorry for the late reply! I am in AKL but more than happy to send you pics when I finally get the connectors and get it wired up? Or you can come round and have a look if your ever up in AKL? I feel your pain about the fuel light! I've got the rotty intake and yoshi pipes so been running the AKRA map to avoid engine running lean. My backpack has singe marks from the flames coming out the rear but I only get 80kms before the F@#$%^G fuel light comes on. Then I go to fill it up and it only takes 9 litres so in theory there is still 6 litres in there! Hopefully with the bigger tank and a tune I should get a few more kms before having to stop at the next gassy.

I got the tank from these guys : http://stores.ebay.com/AZ-Cycle-Parts
Cost me $149.99 USD for the tank and $240 NZD for shipping. :shock: :cry:
Make sure you use YouShop for shipping because customs doesn't charge GST on YouShop freight.
If you pay AZ-Cycle-Parts for the freight and they ship via FedEx it will cost the same but customs will charge GST for the tank AND the freight.

If you see this can you post up a pic of the plugs, cheers

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom