OpenFlash for the 1290

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Colonel_Klinck

OpenFlash for the 1290

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Anyone purchased OpenFlash for the 1290? http://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/ope ... superduke/ If so any feedback? Does it offer all the benefits of TuneECU (other than TuneECU being free of course). Anyone used it for a car or another bike?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

jmann

Re: OpenFlash for the 1290

Postby jmann » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Sounds too good to be true...

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 pm

I've had some back and forth by email with them. They have maps for version 1 but they don't have any maps for the 2017 as they haven't got their hands on one yet. He thinks he'll be able to gain access to QS and blipper, TC maps ect. Obviously $699 isn't cheap, however it is cheaper than a PC5 if you add the ignition module but potentially offers a hell of a lot more.

Found this with a google search. Appears they know their stuff when it comes to cars. Was hoping someone in the US might know something about them.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46723
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 am

Time we pay the customs etc I was looking at it a while ago, but got the pc5 now

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 am

Interested in this for one of my cars.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm

whufc0 wrote:Time we pay the customs etc I was looking at it a while ago, but got the pc5 now

I was hoping one of our American cousins might let me have it shipped to them and then post it over as a gift with a $50 value. :wink: :wink:
The late Bill Hicks

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
whufc0 wrote:Time we pay the customs etc I was looking at it a while ago, but got the pc5 now

I was hoping one of our American cousins might let me have it shipped to them and then post it over as a gift with a $50 value. :wink: :wink:

That would be me but I would be closer to an uncle brother
I'm BLUE

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:

I'm willing to help as well. Unfortunately both myself and dribble are on the furthest side of the US from you lol.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:28 pm

I use Stackery, a forwarding company, still have to pay some custom charges, but put own value on invoices.

Had an exhaust shipped over for my mustang, only paid 60 quid import

Colonel_Klinck wrote:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm in Florida. I can help. PM me if all y'all want
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:43 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:I'm in Florida. I can help. PM me if all y'all want

Thanks dude, Aphex and Dribble also I might well take you up on that. First I need to actually purchase a 2017 1290. Then speak to my tuner and see if he can get some more info from the guy before I commit. Would much rather go for a flash option than piggyback PC5. If it does all it seems to offer then it could be a winner. He's more than happy to work with TuneECU so adjust, flash, adjust is not a problem.
The late Bill Hicks

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Klinky, I'll b visiting London in July. Might hook up w No 47 and maybe Bic at the Bike Shed. I might b able to hand deliver it to you if the whole transaction goes through.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:37 am

"Big power gains"...color me dubious.

Proceed with caution Klink....Lots of snake oil salesmen around these parts.

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 am

FWIW
A friend at work has a FR-S and has talked about there products and I believe is saving up to get the tuning setup for his car. I will check in with him about there products on Monday and report back...
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

jmann

Postby jmann » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 am

Comrades: I'd love to be proven wrong but my suspicion is that they're reputable with cars and their thinking is how hard could it be? If it was easy why is it that Alain at TuneECU hasn't done it. Ecuwest also claim to be able to do this but I've never seen or heard of anyone that can show a map that is different to an original or an Akro map. I'm pretty confident that I could load a standard map or an Akro map but there's not much point in only being able to do that.

Klinky I'll put up $AU50 If you buy one to try... I note a fair bit of discontent about canned maps.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 am

fasteddy wrote:FWIW
A friend at work has a FR-S and has talked about there products and I believe is saving up to get the tuning setup for his car. I will check in with him about there products on Monday and report back...

Cheers dude that would be most appreciated.

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Klinky, I'll b visiting London in July. Might hook up w No 47 and maybe Bic at the Bike Shed. I might b able to hand deliver it to you if the whole transaction goes through.

Thanks mate. I'll keep the thread updated with any info I find out.
The late Bill Hicks

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 am

jmann wrote:Comrades: I'd love to be proven wrong but my suspicion is that they're reputable with cars and their thinking is how hard could it be? If it was easy why is it that Alain at TuneECU hasn't done it. Ecuwest also claim to be able to do this but I've never seen or heard of anyone that can show a map that is different to an original or an Akro map. I'm pretty confident that I could load a standard map or an Akro map but there's not much point in only being able to do that.

Klinky I'll put up $AU50 If you buy one to try...

Oh I'm not spending that kind of money until I'm sure what they claim is actually what their product offers. I'm going to ask my tuner to email him and get some technical detail. He knows what he's talking about as he worked on the development of the Typhoon fighter's electrical systems so won't be fobbed of with any techno babble. Obviously I'm hoping its legit as it would be a great bit of kit. We will see.
The late Bill Hicks

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 am

So today at work I sat in an FR-S and got to see the OpenFlash in action! It does look pretty cool and works as advertised. He has maps that other people have made that he has downloaded and loaded into it via a USB cable and then into the ECU via the OBDII. Custom tuning can be done by using other tools to edit the ROM file, He uses a tool called Rom Raider, It sounds pretty much like TuneECU from the description. He speaks very highly of the company and says they are very reputable.

http://imgur.com/a/0OGSP

The link should go to some pics...
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

fasteddy wrote:So today at work I sat in an FR-S and got to see the OpenFlash in action! It does look pretty cool and works as advertised. He has maps that other people have made that he has downloaded and loaded into it via a USB cable and then into the ECU via the OBDII. Custom tuning can be done by using other tools to edit the ROM file, He uses a tool called Rom Raider, It sounds pretty much like TuneECU from the description. He speaks very highly of the company and says they are very reputable.

http://imgur.com/a/0OGSP

The link should go to some pics...

Thanks comrade. Those photo's seem to be of the system being used with a Subaru... What did you actually see? Presumably what you saw wasn't it being used with a 1290?

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm

The photos were taken in my co workers Toyota FR-S, same vehicle as a Subaru BRZ, the car is a joint effort and is interesting to see an engine with Subaru on some parts and Toyota on others. When I asked him about it I did not realise he had already purchased one and we walked out to the parking lot and I saw it in action, on an FR-S, He opened the glove box pulled it out and plugged it into the OBDII plug and started the car.

I actually saw the unit connected and showing live data, the various maps loaded and the * showing the current file in the ECU, I have also seen the software used to load it via USB as my co worker borrowed one of my windoze tablets to load it, at that time I was not curious about the tuning solution. "romraider" is a free tool created specifically for Subaru ECU's.

No I have not seen it on a 1290, as I stated above I knew he was familiar with the product and company as it applies to the FR-S. If anyone has a 1290 with this product within driving distance of me I would be willing to check it out. I would also be curious if OpenFlash has or knows of software to manipulate the files.

I am merely reporting objectively about what I did see and making no claims or endorsements.
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 pm

A guy with a 2015 1290 in the UK has ordered it and his tuner is going to give it a go. He doesn't live far from me and I'm friends with him on FB. Will keep you updated with how it goes. Fingers crossed it's a winner.
The late Bill Hicks

vernonbc
Minimoto racer

Postby vernonbc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 am

I am kind of curious myself as to what this device is capable of. I am guessing that it is similar to a Rexxer unit. Would be nice if we are able to reset error codes, adaptive parameters and tweak other things. I wonder what kind of maps will be available for 1290 version 1. Hopefully a map for full akro and either Rotty or motohooligan airbox.
It would very much have to be worth purchasing for me since I will will be converting 699 USD to canadian pesos.
waiting anxiously... 8)

fasteddy
Minimoto racer

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:37 am

FWIW,
I did some more research on the OpenFlash products for the Ducati and BMW and even down loaded the TunerPro software to check it out. I then sent an email to OpenFlash to confirm what parameters would be available and that it would use the same TunerPro platform, this is from the email I just got back:

"The Tuner Pro interface will be fully mappable per cylinder and per gear. it’s just about as tune-able as it could be :)"
    2015 RC390
    2007 SuperDuke
    2003 YZF600R
    1986 FZ600
    1977 CB400F
    1971 SL175

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am

fasteddy wrote:FWIW,
I did some more research on the OpenFlash:

"The Tuner Pro interface will be fully mappable per cylinder and per gear. it’s just about as tune-able as it could be :)"

"As Col-Klinck reads this statement, he cleans up his chin from salivating and pulls out his credit card to order one ...." :mrgreen:
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm holding fire until I've seen results from the unit that is on its way to UK. I still have to do 300 miles on the run in and then sort exhaust out and probably a rotty system. I do have a concern that KTM will be able to tell I've flashed the ECU and it could cause warranty issues. I need to check with the guy before proceeding. Although considering just about every Jap bike can be flashed now with tools like Woolwich and that does not cause warranty issues I'd be pissed if KTM got pissy about it.
The late Bill Hicks

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom