SD 990 Cutting out

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
evojack
Minimoto racer

SD 990 Cutting out

Postby evojack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Had an interim service after buying bike a few months ago and the guys removed a few parts they say were only for emissions / homoligation from airbox plus baffles to allow it to breath better/ produce more power.

Leo Vince exhausts

Bike ran fantastically immediately afterwards.

Then it sat for a month or so and now have an intermittent problem with it cutting out.

Used 2 tanks of Shell RON 98 after being stood so its not old or cheap fuel.

Happens when I come off the throttle completely at junctions etc.

Starts immediately.

I'm keeping more revs on to avoid it but now had it cut out when setting off.

Shop had a look and it cut out just once as he had it stood blipping throttle and releasing.

Suggested running couple more tanks of 98 through but problem still exists.

I have no service record to identify if spark plugs or timing belts have been changed

2006 SD990 with 41,000 KILOMETRES (not miles)

Garage advice is to change plugs.

Any advice welcomed.

Does it require ECU remap following removal of baffles.

Lack of information on service / change of timing belts has me considering replacing them for peace of mind although am told will be expensive

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: SD 990 Cutting out

Postby Aphex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 pm

So just some standard stuff to check.

BCG (Big Grey Connector) on the right side of the bike. Check for dirt/moisture and pack in some dielectric grease.

Tip over sensor behind the headlamp.

Side stand switch.

That's all I can think of right now.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Comrade: Just adding to the quick list:
Fuel filter, Breather, Earth, Retifier.

Don't mess with remap until you find the problem.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 pm

I would ad check TPS (throttle position sensors)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 am

Clutch switch.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

robmc13
Minimoto racer

Postby robmc13 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am

Cold or warm?

Mine will do it when cold if I don't blip the throttle. Goes away after good and warm.

Rob
08 SD 990 minus the R... danggit!

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Mine cuts out sometimes when pulling the clutch in and blipping the throttle at the same time. It'll happen once only and I just restart the bike straight away while I'm still rolling....it rarely occurs and can go for a few weeks without experiencing it. I can't easily replicate the behaviour no matter what combinations I try and its more likely to do it when not quite 100% warmed up.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Rock Rover
Minimoto racer

Postby Rock Rover » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:24 am

An Epic Tail :?

Back-story:
Have recently adopted a 2005 KTM 990 Super Duke. I bought it on line, from a well known motorcycle franchise, in Southwest Brisbane. It was trucked up, to FNQ, for only a few gold bars. On delivery the bike wouldn't start. Bat flattery. Thanks a lot guys.
SD battery box access difficulties are well documented elsewhere. It is quite a trick though, so while there, I installed an easy access plug for a trickle charger. Followed a forum's suggestion - Attach positive lead to starter terminal and negative to an engine bolt. Now starts very easily with zero throttle. Idle races up to about 2000 RPM but, over time, it settles to about 1500 RPM.

Present Problem:
During a pleasant sunny morning ride, I got a very rude awakening. About 60 km after a quick fuel stop, the engine stalled and the rear wheel locked up. The bike fish-tailed back and forth, left lock, right lock, ditto, ditto. Pressed the starter button a few times, while rolling along with the clutch in, but no-go. It was peak-hour traffic. I managed to squeeze onto the road's edge, as the blind drivers closed up into my gap. Shortly after it started and I managed to ride into town.
Had many short stops to make. The idle dropped below 1000 RPM and often stalled at the lights. Some what dangerous and not just a little embarrassing. Though not improving my feelings, began revving the engine, to keep from stalling while at rest. Don't you just love those opened Akrapovic cans?
On my return journey, I refuelled again. Managed about 200 km on this tank. About 5 km later, while travelling at about 90 km/h on a quiet country road, the bike stalled again. This time the rear wheel did not lock. The speedo clock, went into start up mode, letting me know what size tyre I had on the front, etc. Again it started easily and continued without any further problems.
Am now very wary, of any spirited riding, should she buck again.

Question:
My problem sounds very familiar and almost shoe fits evojack's experience.
Was there success with repairing this fault? Anything to do with the battery terminals?
Did someone discover it to be an other problem? Am keen to discover a solution?
"15 minute idle trick?"

Cheers

RR

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 am

The speedo clock, went into start up mode, letting me know what size tyre I had on the front,
Sounds very much like battery terminals. Have you checked them at all?

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 am

Rock Rover wrote:An Epic Tail :?

Back-story:
Have recently adopted a 2005 KTM 990 Super Duke. I bought it on line, from a well known motorcycle franchise, in Southwest Brisbane. It was trucked up, to FNQ, for only a few gold bars. On delivery the bike wouldn't start. Bat flattery. Thanks a lot guys.
SD battery box access difficulties are well documented elsewhere. It is quite a trick though, so while there, I installed an easy access plug for a trickle charger. Followed a forum's suggestion - Attach positive lead to starter terminal and negative to an engine bolt. Now starts very easily with zero throttle. Idle races up to about 2000 RPM but, over time, it settles to about 1500 RPM.

Cheers

RR

I got mine from Team Moto Enogerra. They didn't know much about the bike and I could tell they hadn't invested a lot of time into learning the in and outs of KTM's.
They said the R badge was probably some eBay bling for example (it was the LH Rottweiler blank off plate). They weren't aware of the 3rd party airbox and a few other details.
I was really suspect on it for a while as it has a white frame and thought it may of been dropped and repaired. I went back to check it out 3 times and after much research ended up buying it. Thanks to a lot of info on this site :)
It seemed in really good nick and they had a decent price on it. Its been a great bike but they didn't really add any value to the bike in terms of warranty etc. I treated it like a private sale tbh.

So it doesn't surprise me about the battery unfortunately... they are all care and no responsibility.

Hope you get the Electrical issues sorted soon as it sounds risky to say the least.
The reset / 15 min idle settled mine down after a remapping and it wouldn't hurt to do it. I'd check the battery terminal again albeit its a PITA to get to them.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Miff_UK
Minimoto racer

Postby Miff_UK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Any warning lights ?

Mine is doing this, but the FI light flashes momentarily and sometimes the dash goes off (similar to hitting the kill switch)
I'm currently working my way through the connectors.

Miff.

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Could be the same thing that is happening to the KTM 990 ADV bikes.
I know of two bike that have this problem.
The key switch wire is failing from flexing too much / not e-nuf service loop / length of wire.

To test next time, move the bars back and forth and see if you make contact with the broken wires.
One of the bikes wire broke about 1.5 inch (38mm) from the key switch.
The other broke inside the key switch.
Wire manufactures make a flex wire to be used where wires will flex.
I am not sure if KTM used flex wire.

Feel the wire in question for any broken wires inside the sheathing.

Having experience with 2 stroke bikes, my left hand is ALWAYS READY TO PULL THE CLUTCH IN WHEN /IF THE ENGINE REAR WHEEL LOCKS UP......
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 pm

I cannot add much information that will help. I am reading this thread with much anticipation. I am waiting for a post that says that if you just wait a certain length of time the problem seems to fix itself. The last time my SD was out for a spin was months ago. I took it the back way to get a haircut which was good for the barber because my hair was standing up in the back making it easier for him. On my way home the bike cut out and I pulled over. It restarted and I then rode maybe another two miles and it cut out again and again and again always restarting till I made it home in four cut outs in fifteen miles. I pulled it into the far stall of the garage, hooked up the battery tender, and covered it with and old sheet. This bike as spent way too much time repairing itself. I get roughly 20 miles between six month healing intervals. The saving grace is I have more bikes than I can either afford and or ride and the SD seems to recalibrate the miles back to zero whenever it feels that it has healed itself to new again. currently it is sitting at 157 miles on the odometer. The trouble with all this wonderful input relating to possible fixes is it is electrical in nature and therefore cannot be fixed with a hammer and a hammer is the only thing I want to take to this worthless pile of orangeness right now.
I'd trade it in for a still life painting of my carpenters bags and would get the same enjoyment in viewing pleasure.
I'm BLUE

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:32 pm

evojack wrote : I have no service record to identify if spark plugs or timing belts have been changed.

Doors open here........The reason you don't have any record of timing belt replacement is.................the KTM 990 LC8 does not have any rubber bands to tune. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got 33K on mine with original spark plugs...

DD....how many miles on your SD ?

Get much salt air ?

What do you think about the wires flexing / breaking at the key switch?

Can do a pen / ink old school technical drawing of your bike for trade... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mine still draws lookers at bike night..
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:22 pm

DougFir wrote:evojack wrote : I have no service record to identify if spark plugs or timing belts have been changed.

Doors open here........The reason you don't have any record of timing belt replacement is.................the KTM 990 LC8 does not have any rubber bands to tune. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got 33K on mine with original spark plugs...

DD....how many miles on your SD ?

Get much salt air ?

What do you think about the wires flexing / breaking at the key switch?

Can do a pen / ink old school technical drawing of your bike for trade... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mine still draws lookers at bike night..

My guess is about 11000 miles, this is just a guess. I will look into the grounding-BGC-broken wire-tilt switch-aliens using EMP technology when I have clear shop space. The trouble is I could either go out and ride or stay in and work out electrical gremlins in my rare free time. You don't need a queegee board to figure out which one will happen.
I'm BLUE

Loco
Minimoto racer

Postby Loco » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Test the Reg / rec

Mine's just failed similar symptoms.

Rock Rover
Minimoto racer

Postby Rock Rover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:22 am

Miff_UK wrote:Any warning lights ?

Mine is doing this, but the FI light flashes momentarily and sometimes the dash goes off (similar to hitting the kill switch)

Miff.

Have not seen any flashing lights, however the dash goes through what looks like the start-up cycle. Do agree with the kill switch feeling. Plan to start at the battery and with a bit of luck won't have to go much further.
Sure puts the kibosh on any kind of spirited riding. The ol' backdoor pucker is not strong enough to keep the seat clean.

RR

Loco
Minimoto racer

Postby Loco » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Just to add to this, although my reg/rec definitely failed the wires being very brittle and a bubble forming on the bottom, I think this was not the actual cause of the sudden stopping/blank dash.

When I went through the fuses at the side of the road I failed to notice one of the large cables on the starter Relay had worked loose to the point of barely touching.
I only spotted it when refitting the lower and I had the bike switched on and it suddenly cut out.
So in essence assume nothing, check everything.
However this has saved me from a failure miles from home when the battery either got fried or ran out due to the slow death of the RR..

Rock Rover
Minimoto racer

Postby Rock Rover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:32 pm

DukeNukem999 wrote:I got mine from Team Moto Enogerra. They didn't know much about the bike and I could tell they hadn't invested a lot of time into learning the in and outs of KTM's.
They said the R badge was probably some eBay bling for example (it was the LH Rottweiler blank off plate). They weren't aware of the 3rd party airbox and a few other details.
I was really suspect on it for a while as it has a white frame and thought it may of been dropped and repaired. I went back to check it out 3 times and after much research ended up buying it. Thanks to a lot of info on this site :)
It seemed in really good nick and they had a decent price on it. Its been a great bike but they didn't really add any value to the bike in terms of warranty etc. I treated it like a private sale tbh.

Team Moto Moorooka had my puppy in the window.
Due to the considerable distance involved, about 1800 km, I too consider my purchase a "Private Sale" with maybe a dead-anchor security hold on proof of ownership.
Am still to begin searching for my particular gremlins, however I plan to pursue the suggested battery and starter solenoid connections first. If all good, the magic 15 minute idol will hopefully see this at an end.

RR

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom