990 gear lever. - Moto Hooligan Adapter Rearset plates

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Stu990
Minimoto racer

990 gear lever. - Moto Hooligan Adapter Rearset plates

Postby Stu990 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi. I lost my adjuster block yesterday. Do I have a standard ktm setup? Can I just get the adjuster from ktm?
https://goo.gl/photos/gx2ugVstijhs9Emm7
It's the female to female that adjusts the height of the gear lever.

I have standard rearsets but with adjuster plates so I would really prefer a longer female to female adjuster. Are they available anywhere?
Cheers
Last edited by Stu990 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Re: 990 gear lever.

Postby Stu990 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 am

Nothing on ebay :(

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 am

Your best is probably to look on eBay for 10mm aluminium hex bar and to buy a length (100mm should be more than sufficient), then figure out how long it needs to be and take it to a local Engineering shop and get them to cut it to length, and tap one end with a right-hand M6 thread, and the other with a left-hand M6 thread. You'll also need to track down a left-hand threaded M6 nut as a locknut (this could be more challenging).

I'm sure I won't need to remind you, but make sure both locknuts are tightened properly!

Let us all know how you get on.
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

jmann

Postby jmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 am

Comrade: I'm a great believer in cost effectiveness. Given the choice of making or buying I usually do the latter unless it is at KTM prices.
Given KTM prices I then look for similar items at a fraction of the cost that avoids having to make the part - in particular the left hand thread on one end.
Now it just so happens that lot's of hardware shops sell SS bottle screws that do a great job. Ships chandleries sell similar items but at a slightly more elevated cost but way below KTM.

What I do is buy a suitable bottle screw with the appropriate threads at both end and just adjust any length discrepancy with threaded rod on the regular threaded end. Only today I made one for my VFR400 which also, by using a bottle screw, allows me to adjust the angle of the gear change. You'll need two nuts on each end to lock things down. My total cost was $9.40 which included a 1m length of 6mm threaded rod. :D

I believe there might even be an old photo on this forum of the one I made on my 990 after I moved the pegs up and back.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm

jmann wrote:Comrade: I'm a great believer in cost effectiveness. Given the choice of making or buying I usually do the latter unless it is at KTM prices.
Given KTM prices I then look for similar items at a fraction of the cost that avoids having to make the part - in particular the left hand thread on one end.
Now it just so happens that lot's of hardware shops sell SS bottle screws that do a great job. Ships chandleries sell similar items but at a slightly more elevated cost but way below KTM.

What I do is buy a suitable bottle screw with the appropriate threads at both end and just adjust any length discrepancy with threaded rod on the regular threaded end. Only today I made one for my VFR400 which also, by using a bottle screw, allows me to adjust the angle of the gear change. You'll need two nuts on each end to lock things down. My total cost was $9.40 which included a 1m length of 6mm threaded rod. :D

I believe there might even be an old photo on this forum of the one I made on my 990 after I moved the pegs up and back.

Thanks for the reply
http://www.absoluteindustrial.co.uk/lif ... e-eye-p134
looks ideal. only
Sub Total £0.76
Delivery £8.50
VAT £1.85

Order Total £11.11
76 p becomes £11 delivered !!

There's a Ships Chandlery near work I'll take what i've got left and see if they can help!
Thanks for the idea

KTM want £46 for the whole rod. They quoted this part number but It's not even right https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/g ... 9034036044

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Scotty wrote:Your best is probably to look on eBay for 10mm aluminium hex bar and to buy a length (100mm should be more than sufficient), then figure out how long it needs to be and take it to a local Engineering shop and get them to cut it to length, and tap one end with a right-hand M6 thread, and the other with a left-hand M6 thread. You'll also need to track down a left-hand threaded M6 nut as a locknut (this could be more challenging).

I'm sure I won't need to remind you, but make sure both locknuts are tightened properly!

Let us all know how you get on.

Hi Thanks.

Hopefully i can just buy something as per jmann - I have bought a connector rod from USA but not sure if it is right or will arrive in time. (Off to Luxembourg for 6 days).

I'm thinking that one locknut on one side should be sufficient? (plus some threadlock both sides)

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 pm

This

This is exactly what I need (the silver bits) are they standard on a 2006 SD? Does anyone know how long that hexagonal connector is (shiny bit in middle right under the bend in the pedal)?

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:29 am

Stu990 wrote:
This is exactly what I need (the silver bits) are they standard on a 2006 SD? Does anyone know how long that hexagonal connector is (shiny bit in middle right under the bend in the pedal)?

It would be really good if anyone can tell me if pic above is standard please?

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Stu, one locknut will definitely NOT be enough!

Looking at that photo, starting from the left you have Rose Joint (the spherical end bit), lock nut, adjuster bar (8mm hex), locknut - these bits are all standard. Then you have 10mm Hex adjuster block, locknut, M6 threaded rod, locknut - these are aftermarket parts to extend the gear linkage back for the rearset footpegs (they aren't standard SD issue). The linkage is completed with the right-hand end rose joint, which may or may not be a standard part. The 10mm Hex adjuster bar looks like it's 25-30mm in length. You could probably go a bit longer, but definitely no shorter, and if you don't use a locknut at either end, you'll lose that one too.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am

Scotty wrote:Stu, one locknut will definitely NOT be enough!

Looking at that photo, starting from the left you have Rose Joint (the spherical end bit), lock nut, adjuster bar (8mm hex), locknut - these bits are all standard. Then you have 10mm Hex adjuster block, locknut, M6 threaded rod, locknut - these are aftermarket parts to extend the gear linkage back for the rearset footpegs (they aren't standard SD issue). The linkage is completed with the right-hand end rose joint, which may or may not be a standard part. The 10mm Hex adjuster bar looks like it's 25-30mm in length. You could probably go a bit longer, but definitely no shorter, and if you don't use a locknut at either end, you'll lose that one too.

Scotty, Many many thanks for your reply!
Great, so that's confirmed my thinking and cleared up a bit.
I've ordered a replacement "10mm Hex adjuster block, locknut, M6 threaded rod, locknut" but my replacement is 90mm! That was my problem the 25-30mm just wasn't long enough to get my pedal comfortable so I adjusted it beyond what was safe.
I'm thinking I can either do without the locknuts and screw the 90mm tight against both ends to keep it as short as possible, or if it's threaded all the way through I might be able to cut it down. Also I might be able to put my rearsets another adjustment hole further back.
Last resort is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Annitori-Raci ... 3000302691 at 50mm. (Not likely to arrive in time for European trip)
I would ask if you knew where the "10mm Hex adjuster block" came from and if it is available, but it wasn't really long enough
Thanks again Scotty. :)

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am

Great thanks, so that confirms it's not standard parts that I need.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 am

I received the female threaded part from the Chandlers. I learnt 2 things, 90mm is far to long, I didn't want Left hand Thread on either side, they are both Right handed.

So I've ordered something else from eBay. Hopefully that will work. (30mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111846278490? ... EBIDX%3AIT )

In the meantime have put the gear side back to Standard so I can ride it again. - Can't say I notice a lot of difference between gear side standard and brake side with the Adapter plate.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: 990 gear lever. - Moto Hooligan Adapter Rearset plates

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:55 am

Ah, my bad Stu, sorry that you were misdirected there, the hex bit that's missing is only an extender rather than an adjuster - makes sense I guess to utilise the OEM adjuster as is seen in the photo and keep costs down by sticking to standard threads and nuts in the rearset kit. Looks like you're on the right track now with the tubular extender that you've ordered, make sure the locknuts are tight, and it'd be prudent to use a dab of loctite or similar in the threads as well to ensure the locknuts don't back off at all.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Re: 990 gear lever. - Moto Hooligan Adapter Rearset plates

Postby Stu990 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 am

Scotty, Cheers, no worries, thanks for your help!

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom