990SD oil blow back from intake

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

990SD oil blow back from intake

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Hello!

I recently purchased a used 2007 SD990, 33k miles, and am working on getting it to tip top shape.

I noticed there's blow back oil coming out of my rottweiler intake and dripping down the whole motor. Its not a whole lot daily but I've had to top it off weekly to keep it above the "min" line.

My preliminary research tells me that its possibly the balancer shaft seal. I've noticed a small amount of oil drop from near the front sprocket, (not counting the clutch oil from the slave that I'm in the works of replacing now). If this is a possible solution, id like to replace it. I just don't know what part and location it is. I'd love some help with that.

Also I've noticed a clicking like noise from the engine and don't know if this is normal. The noise gets a little lower when I pull the clutch in. Increases in repetition rate with engine RPMs but not in volume. I was lead to believe that if indeed my balancer shaft seal needs replacing, the oil pressure can be affected and not fully circulating into the cam chain area. Or its possible that the cam chain tensioner is failing. If its an easy part to replace, I dont mind doing it asap as well. Id love to know what parts I need.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: 990SD oil blow back from intake

Postby No. 47 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm

'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm

No. 47 wrote:http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17008&p=197226&hilit=Balancer+shaft+seal#p197226 and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21571&p=262596&hilit=Cam+chain+tensioner#p262596 as a 'starter for ten'

Awesome reply! I got an oil change due, so its perfect time to check.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

I've been having the same issue with my SDR and I just ordered the parts needed.

0760122050 SHAFT SEAL RING 12X20X5 B = $6

60030040100 IGNIT.COVER GASK.MATRI.CS0,5MM = $24

And they had them in stock. I almost shat me pants. For those of you in FLA, you might want to look into these guys. http://www.mcenthusiasts.com/. I called them a few months ago to inquire about the 10k service for the SD and they knew you might want to refurbish the water pump at that time. The service department (Service Writer) seems conscientious. I also spoke with parts guys and it looks like they know what they are talking about. If I ever have to have some real work done on my bike I will be taking it there.

On the other hand, these guys http://www.gcmotorcycles.com/ in Ft Myers, are no longer a KTM dealer.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:07 am

Good timing guys!

I noticed the right side of my engine was misted with oil. Pulled the tank and the filter was almost iridescent with oil! I pulled the filter and the base plate had oil all over it.

It just started so I'm gonna clean and oil my Rottweiler intake and order the parts so they're here when I do my valve check in a couple thousand miles.

I'll post pics when I get home.

https://imgur.com/gallery/le2Qf
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Silverbear
Two wheeled terror

Postby Silverbear » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:29 am

You don't need to change the alternator gasket unless it is broken.In Australia the gasket is worth over 50 bucks.I have opened the alternator 5 times and cleaned and greased the original metallic gasket with no problems.As I mentioned in another post,the balance shaft seal should be a regular preventive maintenance job with every second or third oil change.Cheers

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:I've been having the same issue with my SDR and I just ordered the parts needed.

0760122050 SHAFT SEAL RING 12X20X5 B = $6

60030040100 IGNIT.COVER GASK.MATRI.CS0,5MM = $24

And they had them in stock. I almost shat me pants. For those of you in FLA, you might want to look into these guys. http://www.mcenthusiasts.com/. I called them a few months ago to inquire about the 10k service for the SD and they knew you might want to refurbish the water pump at that time. The service department (Service Writer) seems conscientious. I also spoke with parts guys and it looks like they know what they are talking about.

I just shat me pants. Again. I ordered yesterday and received the parts today. I was expecting them in 3 or 4 days. I'm impressed.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
I just shat me pants. Again. I ordered yesterday and received the parts today. I was expecting them in 3 or 4 days. I'm impressed.

I too shat my pants when my local dealer had 5 of the shaft seals in stock :shock:
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:54 am

Ahh where I live, no one has the parts on hand. Theres one more shop I should of checked but I just ordered online instead. Just waiting for it to do mine. Also waiting on the new slave clutch cylinder. Bleeding like crazy. Oh well. All should be here by Wednesday and ill post the results. I did end up ordering the gasket as an insurance measure. Ill keep that in mind @silverbear and order a few more shaft seals now.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 am

Droldaerd wrote:Ahh where I live, no one has the parts on hand. Theres one more shop I should of checked but I just ordered online instead. Just waiting for it to do mine. Also waiting on the new slave clutch cylinder. Bleeding like crazy. Oh well. All should be here by Wednesday and ill post the results. I did end up ordering the gasket as an insurance measure. Ill keep that in mind @silverbear and order a few more shaft seals now.

For the slave, the best way for me was to remove the lever and reverse bleed from the slave up to the MC.

Glad I did the shaft seal tonight, was supposed to ride tomorrow and found out that a tooth sheered off my 6 month old front sprocket :evil:

Me so Hoony.

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi!

I changed the shaft seal last summer but the bike still blowing oil.

Is "normal" that the seal has been broken in less than a year? Or maybe I broke it mounting the cover?

Thanks!
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Edorta wrote:Hi!

I changed the shaft seal last summer but the bike still blowing oil.

Is "normal" that the seal has been broken in less than a year? Or maybe I broke it mounting the cover?

Thanks!

I don't think it's normal. Maybe it wasn't seating correctly in the cover?

Me so Hoony.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Check that crankcase breather, particularly one way valve, is clear/unblocked.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 am

No. 47 wrote:Check that crankcase breather, particularly one way valve, is clear/unblocked.

Where is this located? Would love a photo if you have time to snap one of your bike.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 am

Droldaerd wrote:
No. 47 wrote:Check that crankcase breather, particularly one way valve, is clear/unblocked.

Where is this located? Would love a photo if you have time to snap one of your bike.

Follow the hose that comes out of your ignition cover. Near the airbox there should be a fitting in the line that looks like this: http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18655&start=46

Me so Hoony.

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Aphex wrote:

Thanks both!

Finally I check the breather and the inner spring is broken (the valve stays always open).

I fix it and there is no oil leak this time, can't believe... the cover is clean&shinny :mrgreen:

Super happy, thanks again mates :mrgreen:

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Edorta wrote:
Aphex wrote:

Thanks both!

Finally I check the breather and the inner spring is broken (the valve stays always open).

I fix it and there is no oil leak this time, can't believe... the cover is clean&shinny :mrgreen:

Could you post a picture of the crabkcase breather. I'm having a terrible time locating it. Do I need to remove any parts simply to view it?

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Droldaerd wrote:
Edorta wrote:
Aphex wrote:

Thanks both!

Could you post a picture of the crabkcase breather. I'm having a terrible time locating it. Do I need to remove any parts simply to view it?

Hi!

I've got a modified airbox (ITG) and it's under the plate, very easy to find.

But if you got the OEM airbox, i don't remember where exactly it is... but for shure is more dificult :?

Watch this video,

Min 1:35 removes the breather black rubber tube (you must follow it to find the valve)

Min 3:51 you can see the valve perfectly here, and how the guy remove it

Maybe you can do it without removing the top part of the airbox, try it! :wink:

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Actually I probably should of stated that I do indeed have a rottweiler intake system. Video was grand @edorta . I was planning on cleaning the inatake up after I addressed the blow back. I changed the balancer shaft seal on Wednesday. Noticable improvement, but I'm sure I need to do this next as I still have fresh oil dripping down the throttle bodies. Unfortunely for me Ill be at my girlfriends for the week so ill have to save this repair till next week.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks everybody. I've done all that was mentioned. Just road down 110 miles to my girlfriends house. There was some traffic driving, some canyon carving and some long distance high speed flows on the freeway. Hopefully it was enough to put some strain on the system and see if I'm all gravy! Ill check it in the morning. The intake was oil drenched and filthy. Cleaned up and re-oiled properly. Cleaned up the engine some and all that. Thanks again fellas.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Still light oil found on thr altnerator cover side. Tightened crank case breather tube clamp, crank breather bolt engine side. Grime found on oil tubes close to oil tank near clutch side. When I replace the front cam tensioner, I'll be sure to service them as well. Seems majority of the blow back has ceased. No more oil on the rear fairings.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom