Oil change?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Oil change?

Postby Droldaerd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm about to do an oil change and was wondering if the item, http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... r?m=140542 , comes complete with the extra filter screens or do I need to purchase them separately?

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Oil change?

Postby Aphex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm

That's just a filter.

If you want a full KTM brand oil change kit then you would need this: https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-950-990-lc8-seal-and-oil-filter-kit

However I just clean all my screens​ instead of replacing them been fine for almost 40k miles now.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Me too, those things never seem to wear out. Unless they're damaged don't bother.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 am

Thanks all! Anyone point me to the direction of the screens I should clean?

crazyinp
Two wheeled terror

Postby crazyinp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 am

Like everyone else said, you don't need new oil screens, however just make sure you buy new o-rings. The OEM filter doesn't come with one and if you remove and clean your oil screens, I would recommend to replace the o-rings

07700390261 - 1x (Oil Filter O-ring)
0770170200 - 4x ( Oil Screen O-rings 2x per)
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Droldaerd wrote:Thanks all! Anyone point me to the direction of the screens I should clean?

There is a thimble screen in your oil tank on the left hand side of the bike. It makes a huge mess so what I do is remove the chin fairing and cover the battery box/electronics with a plastic bags.

The other screen is on the right side of the bike below the clutch cover, you have to remove a small plate then pull it out with some needle nose pliers.

I just blow any debris out with a can of compressed air, check for tears in the screen and drop em back in.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:01 am

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:Thanks all! Anyone point me to the direction of the screens I should clean?

There is a thimble screen in your oil tank on the left hand side of the bike. It makes a huge mess so what I do is remove the chin fairing and cover the battery box/electronics with a plastic bags.

The other screen is on the right side of the bike below the clutch cover, you have to remove a small plate then pull it out with some needle nose pliers.

I just blow any debris out with a can of compressed air, check for tears in the screen and drop em back in.

Thanks, ill get right on it. I ended up with just a filter. I ordered a filter kit now but will have to make this due till then.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Aphex wrote:

I'm having troubles locating the "thimble" screen on the left side of the bike. Do I need to remove the chin fairing to see it?

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Nm. I'm thinking its within the tube area under the oil tank?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Droldaerd wrote:Nm. I'm thinking its within the tube area under the oil tank?

Correct it's where the hose runs into the oil tank on the bottom left near the drain plug.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:41 pm

All done. Thanks

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom