Timing chain change?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Timing chain change?

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:04 am

My engine sounds a little clanky. I'm in the processing of repairing a few things; balancer shaft seal, checking oil filter for contamination in the next oil change this week. If that doesn't fix my issue, in going to move on to the timing chain. Could someone help me with the parts ill need to change?

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Timing chain change?

Postby Aphex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 am

Before you mess with the timing chain I would check the hydraulic chain tensioners. The rear tensioneris normally the first to go.

46 is the one who told me how to test the tensioners, but I've forgotten.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am

46? Is VR a member here?

Rebuild manual:

Page 5-13 - NOTE: the spring preload cannot be checked directly; if the tension spring is worn, the balancer shaft drive will become loud. - and the cam chain will rattle........................

Page 6-15 (and 6-19) - – Apply the chain tensioner bolt and new sealing washer to the chain tensioner element without compressing the spring. Measure the distance 2 between the sealing washer and the cylinder head. The measured value has to be between 6 mm and 11 mm. If the value
is lower, the tensioning rail could be worn or the timing chain excessively elongated.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:04 pm

No. 47 wrote:46? Is VR a member here?

Rebuild manual:

Page 5-13 - NOTE: the spring preload cannot be checked directly; if the tension spring is worn, the balancer shaft drive will become loud. - and the cam chain will rattle........................

Page 6-15 (and 6-19) - – Apply the chain tensioner bolt and new sealing washer to the chain tensioner element without compressing the spring. Measure the distance 2 between the sealing washer and the cylinder head. The measured value has to be between 6 mm and 11 mm. If the value
is lower, the tensioning rail could be worn or the timing chain excessively elongated.

Hahaha whoops, was a little inebriated last night 8)
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Silverbear
Two wheeled terror

Postby Silverbear » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Droldaerd wrote:My engine sounds a little clanky. I'm in the processing of repairing a few things; balancer shaft seal, checking oil filter for contamination in the next oil change this week. If that doesn't fix my issue, in going to move on to the timing chain. Could someone help me with the parts ill need to change?

Before you go and replace chains,check the spring and piston in the oil pump.Google "hall of wisdom".Having said that,the chains should be replaced before you hit 100,000 kms.Did mine at 96,000 and now a complete rebuild at 160,000.Cheers

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:My engine sounds a little clanky. I'm in the processing of repairing a few things; balancer shaft seal, checking oil filter for contamination in the next oil change this week. If that doesn't fix my issue, in going to move on to the timing chain. Could someone help me with the parts ill need to change?

Before you go and replace chains,check the spring and piston in the oil pump.Google "hall of wisdom".Having said that,the chains should be replaced before you hit 100,000 kms.Did mine at 96,000 and now a complete rebuild at 160,000.Cheers

What would I be looking for when I check the oil pump. Googled "hall of wisdom" and got some weird results, none motorcycle related. I meant to say cam chain tensioner, as from previous research, it seemed like a common failure point. While I'm in no rush to get into a rebuild, I'm at 54km now, I'd love to retune the engine RC8R style when I do. Is the rear hydraulic cam tension easy to replace?

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Aphex wrote:
No. 47 wrote:46? Is VR a member here?

Rebuild manual:

Hahaha whoops, was a little inebriated last night 8)

Made sense to me! When replacing the rear cam tensioner, would I just need a new spring and sealing washer or are there more parts to replace initially?

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Tensioner only available as complete part, not components, other than sealing washer - rear is easy to replace, front not so.
'01 Ducati 996S

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm

I did a timing chain change. It is a lot of work. Only did it because I was changing both base gaskets and the bike had done 52k miles. I'd say it's the hydrolic tensioners. The chains on my bike were in pretty good condition.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm

No. 47 wrote:Tensioner only available as complete part, not components, other than sealing washer - rear is easy to replace, front not so.

What parts need to be remove to replace the rear tensioner?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Droldaerd wrote:
No. 47 wrote:Tensioner only available as complete part, not components, other than sealing washer - rear is easy to replace, front not so.

If you have an after market airbox, you can access the rear tensioner from the right side of the bike with out taking any other parts off.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:

If you have an after market airbox, you can access the rear tensioner from the right side of the bike with out taking any other parts off.

Awesome! I have a rottw system. Love that exhaust in your pic. Ill be aiming for a set apart from my current stock once I resolve all my issues. Any chance you could snap a pic of the rear tensioner on your engine?

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Sorry @aphex . On my mobile. Hadnt realised it was a full pic :shock:

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Droldaerd wrote:Sorry @aphex . On my mobile. Hadnt realised it was a full pic :shock:

Haha np, sorry I'm at work and can't get a better picture since the bike is at home.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 am

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:Sorry @aphex . On my mobile. Hadnt realised it was a full pic :shock:

Haha np, sorry I'm at work and can't get a better picture since the bike is at home.

Nah it wqs perfect. Once I realised the full pic, I found it on my bike immediately.

Do you know what needs to come off the bike to access the front cam tensioner?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Pretty sure you have to move the radiator and oil tank, here is the location though:

Me so Hoony.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Front can just be done without removing anything with a cranked/pivoted Allen tool but it's a bugger to align correctly when refitting - best to remove headers on SDR at least, from memory.
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Aphex wrote:Pretty sure you have to move the radiator and oil tank, here is the location though:

Thanks. Ill move on to this one next if the rear doesn't solve my issue. You wouldn't happen to know the size of the edit*nut* the front sprocket would you?
Last edited by Droldaerd on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 pm

No. 47 wrote:Front can just be done without removing anything with a cranked/pivoted Allen tool but it's a bugger to align correctly when refitting - best to remove headers on SDR at least, from memory.

Hmmmm.... Ill dig my hands in there later and see what its like.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Droldaerd wrote:[

Thanks. Ill move on to this one next if the rear doesn't solve my issue. You wouldn't happen to know the size of the bolt on the front sprocket would you?

Not off the top of my head, even though I just put a new sprocket on last week. But it's easy enough, just three bolts before you can get to it.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:[

Thanks. Ill move on to this one next if the rear doesn't solve my issue. You wouldn't happen to know the size of the bolt on the front sprocket would you?

Not off the top of my head, even though I just put a new sprocket on last week. But it's easy enough, just three bolts before you can get to it.

Ya I just dont have a lot of sockets larger than 20mm. I have a couple larger but at random sizes as I was buying them need by need basis. The parts shop didn't have the 32mm I needed to remove the rear wheel and opted for my adjusting crescent wrench which barely made it too! So was trying to make sure I could get it before my chain arrives. I should of checked the size when I had the slave clutch off for replacement, but my front sprocket teeth looked like they were running through a strong wind so I got distracted. Ill probably pull off the cover and check later.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Parts fiche.......
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 pm

No. 47 wrote:Parts fiche.......

Can anyone tell me if item 26 is the front sprocket nut in this diagram? And I'm assuming from its item code, its a 20mm nut?

Thanks

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/200 ... #sch481182

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 am

Yes, also make sure to order a couple 25's while you're at it.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 am

Aphex wrote:Yes, also make sure to order a couple 25's while you're at it.

Noted. Getting at least 1 now.

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom