1290 Service Intervals

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
RyanD
Minimoto racer

1290 Service Intervals

Postby RyanD » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Hey all.

As far as I know, barring the break in and initial service, the 1290 has a 9,500 mile, or 15,000km service interval. I had my 9k mile service done a few months back, and just rolled over 13k a couple weeks ago. The service light came on, as I knew that it would by watching the "XXX Miles Until Next Service" count down when firing up the engine over the past few months. Is anyone else's dealer setting the bike to signal for service at such short intervals?? I gave them a call to see if there was some issue they wanted to check on in the next couple thousand miles after completing the last service, but he told me he thinks its just an oil change (which they can't get done until next month)... I don't have my manual handy (in the middle of a move), but I thought oil changes were part of the 9,500 mile service interval. Either way, if I do need an oil change, I'll just be doing it myself rather than waiting over a month for them to have time.

Thanks.

crazyinp
Two wheeled terror

Re: 1290 Service Intervals

Postby crazyinp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 am

I can't find anywhere what oil change recommendation period or miles is for SuperDuke, Service interval seems to be 15000km per KTM. However I wouldn't wait for oil change that longer. I personally do it at 3000miles or 1year whichever is first. Again this is pure personal choice, I am sure with modern engines and fully synthetic oils, this is overkill (3000miles) but makes me feel better.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 pm

crazyinp wrote:I can't find anywhere what oil change recommendation period or miles is for SuperDuke, Service interval seems to be 15000km per KTM. However I wouldn't wait for oil change that longer. I personally do it at 3000miles or 1year whichever is first. Again this is pure personal choice, I am sure with modern engines and fully synthetic oils, this is overkill (3000miles) but makes me feel better.

I agree with you 100 % and when I change the oil it's a stone cold engine.
The oil stays cleaner looking longer !!!!

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Joe Biker wrote:
crazyinp wrote:I can't find anywhere what oil change recommendation period or miles is for SuperDuke, Service interval seems to be 15000km per KTM. However I wouldn't wait for oil change that longer. I personally do it at 3000miles or 1year whichever is first. Again this is pure personal choice, I am sure with modern engines and fully synthetic oils, this is overkill (3000miles) but makes me feel better.

I agree with you 100 % and when I change the oil it's a stone cold engine.
The oil stays cleaner looking longer !!!!

Cleaner longer from stone cold engine oil change?

On a personal note, I change mine every 5k miles, full synthetic with filter change. But that's only about every 6-7 weeks for me.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom