Handle bar mods?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Handle bar mods?

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:58 am

I bent my bar risers on a crash on the duke a month back or so. Been debating buying a used set and possibly handle bars if they're bent too. I was rolling around the idea of getting fork clip ons. I prefer the aggressive style handle bar arrangement. I know there's a company that makes a bolt on clip on race bars but theyre around $300 and while I may get then one day, right now they are out of my price range. Anyone else bust a handle bar mod to a race style set up?

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Handle bar mods?

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:29 am

Well my friend, we do have one hell of a handlebar thread already. http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10418&hilit=handle+bars and here are some images I saved from another thread before photobucket went to shit. http://imgur.com/a/G5tH5
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 am

The majority of pictures and links don't work on that thread. I had checked it out earlier. Thanks for the pics though. They helped, but I'm looking for something like this[url] https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... htu5xGQ-yM: [/url] woodcraft racing makes a $300 set. I was hoping there was an alternative or if tube clip ons are functional.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 am

Aside from liking the race style more aesthetically, when I'm in a tight and fast knee dragging turn, I feel the front end pulling up from the leverage of my weight. I'm at 250lbs/114kg. I feel the front end losing traction when it happens and can be really unnerving.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:54 am

Droldaerd wrote:The majority of pictures and links don't work on that thread. I had checked it out earlier. Thanks for the pics though. They helped, but I'm looking for something like thishttps://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&biw=360&bih=323&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=T36KWZuIFs64jwOJvLK4Cg&q=woodcraft+superduke+990+clipon&oq=woodcraft+superduke+990+clipon&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3..30i10k1.58801.60077.0.60407.8.8.0.0.0.0.303.1429.0j4j2j1.7.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..1.2.477.Os9oCEkkyeQ#imgrc=UpFyhtu5xGQ-yM: woodcraft racing makes a $300 set. I was hoping there was an alternative or if tube clip ons are functional.

Yeah that's Bic's bike.

Droldaerd wrote:Aside from liking the race style more aesthetically, when I'm in a tight and fast knee dragging turn, I feel the front end pulling up from the leverage of my weight. I'm at 250lbs/114kg. I feel the front end losing traction when it happens and can be really unnerving.

You'd be best off spending the money on getting the correct spring rate. I'm 200lbs with out gear and feel like I'm on the end of the spectrum of what this suspension can realistically handle at speed.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 am

Aphex wrote:You'd be best off spending the money on getting the correct spring rate. I'm 200lbs with out gear and feel like I'm on the end of the spectrum of what this suspension can realistically handle at speed.

Suspension is defiantly on the menu! I've been making small adjustments to better handle my hippo ass but new spring rate and preload adjustments are on the to do list.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 am

Hi,

Yes that's my bike a few years ago. I wanted to see what it was like with clip-ons. They are Woodcraft clip-ons with a bit of a riser - they do quite a lot of different versions.

Pretty straight forward to fit although to get all the cables to look neat and run well I had to cut away sections of the headlight surround. Easy with a dremmel but took some time to make look neat. Now I have reverted back to straight bars the cut outs don't look bad - you'd never know they were not standard.

I really liked this set up - I have clip-ons on other bikes so like the riding position. Reverted back to high bars because I was doing a lot of long distance riding at the time and it's not a great set up for hours on the motorway unless you're going over 85 plus and get a bit of wind blast to take the weight off your wrists! But for aggressive Sunday blasts round good roads or racetracks I loved them and the way it looked. Of course you do loose quite a bit of leverage and it's definitely different to the standard wide bars so you need to be prepared for that if you change to a narrow low bar set up.

If you want any advice on anything just post up and I will try and help.

ImageIMG_1935 by David Bicknell, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1939 by David Bicknell, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1942 by David Bicknell, on Flickr
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am

Probably the next best mod if you don't want to go to clip ons would be the LSL flat drag bars. I've got them currently, with 45 mm lopped off each end. I'm 6'2, 99 kg with long arms. For me, they're a perfect fit. I'm over the front end with a great forward lean. I've used this set up on track, and while they're not clip on low, they provide much better feel and control compared to standard bars.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 am

That's exactly what I have on now. LSL flat bars cut down as narrow as I could so that the controls still fit. With this set up you do need to adjust your lock stops because the controls will hit the tank otherwise. (You loose a bit of steering lock so harder to manoeuvre when wheeling about tight spaces. You don't notice on the road though - even in tight traffic so nothing to worry about).
ImageIMG_1102 by David Bicknell, on Flickr
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm still a really big fan of those woodcraft. I'm thinking the fork tube clip ons might be an issue with the tank. I saw that woodcraft has ones with a small raiser on it.

speedfiend41 wrote:Probably the next best mod if you don't want to go to clip ons would be the LSL flat drag bars. I've got them currently, with 45 mm lopped off each end. I'm 6'2, 99 kg with long arms. For me, they're a perfect fit. I'm over the front end with a great forward lean. I've used this set up on track, and while they're not clip on low, they provide much better feel and control compared to standard bars.

I've never cut bars before. Do I need to remove the part the bar end screws into first?

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Most bars come with no bar end weights. Just cut off the length you want to remove - the diameter is the same all across the length of the part where the grips and switchgear go. "Fattie" bars go wider towards the centre but the outer parts are the same diameter. You also need to either drill holes for the switch gear - there is a pin which locates them at the right angle. Me - I prefer not to weaken the bars with holes so I remove the pin from the switch gear. This is sometimes a plastic or metal peg. Just dremmel off the plastic ones or remove the metal ones. You may need to add a bit of electrical insulation tape to the bars to make sure the switch gear tightens up enough not to twist during use.

You will need to check and adjust your steering lock bolts whatever new handle bars you fit. The lower they are the more they interfere with the tank on full lock. But clip-ons are the worst case and they are OK for all riding situations so no worries. I always make sure that there is more than 3-5mm clearance between the closest part of the steering assembly and the tank when on full lock. Remember the commonest crash is a low speed low-side or bike just falling over and so you risk damaging the tank if the bars get banged hard into the tank surface - this will be expensive if the tank splits. It's also an MOT failure (in the UK) for anything to hit the tank on full lock.

You see in the pictures of the Woodcraft clip-ons. I had to invert my throttle so that the twin cables come out the top instead of below - like on some motocross bikes. This is because the steering lock was too compromised with them coming out below.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm

To add slightly to this thread, I've been debating this change for a while now. I'm tall and don't do a ton of super aggressive (like track speed) riding anymore and I find that even the high bars of the '08 SD 990 would make me happier to be a bit higher still on the road.

I haven't measured the stocker up myself but has anyone got experience running something with a little less back sweep on the ends but a bit more rise in the central bends to keep the height near stock but still allow them to be pulled back towards the rider?

Example would be something like the Renthal 826-01 which looks to be roughly 12mm taller but with significantly less sweep (according to pictures I see online with measurements). Like I said though, I havent measured it myself so who knows if it would work (width, mount diameter/clamp width, control surface, etc)

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:Probably the next best mod if you don't want to go to clip ons would be the LSL flat drag bars. I've got them currently, with 45 mm lopped off each end. I'm 6'2, 99 kg with long arms. For me, they're a perfect fit. I'm over the front end with a great forward lean. I've used this set up on track, and while they're not clip on low, they provide much better feel and control compared to standard bars.

Thanks for the input. Still bouncing around getting new bars or just saving the money for the woodcraft clips on. My bars have a slight bend to them but not more than a degree or 2 tilted inward on one side. I might deal with it for now. The lsl do sound nice though

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Most bars come with no bar end weights. Just cut off the length you want to remove - the diameter is the same all across the length of the part where the grips and switchgear go. "Fattie" bars go wider towards the centre but the outer parts are the same diameter. You also need to either drill holes for the switch gear - there is a pin which locates them at the right angle. Me - I prefer not to weaken the bars with holes so I remove the pin from the switch gear. This is sometimes a plastic or metal peg. Just dremmel off the plastic ones or remove the metal ones. You may need to add a bit of electrical insulation tape to the bars to make sure the switch gear tightens up enough not to twist during use.

You will need to check and adjust your steering lock bolts whatever new handle bars you fit. The lower they are the more they interfere with the tank on full lock. But clip-ons are the worst case and they are OK for all riding situations so no worries. I always make sure that there is more than 3-5mm clearance between the closest part of the steering assembly and the tank when on full lock. Remember the commonest crash is a low speed low-side or bike just falling over and so you risk damaging the tank if the bars get banged hard into the tank surface - this will be expensive if the tank splits. It's also an MOT failure (in the UK) for anything to hit the tank on full lock.

You see in the pictures of the Woodcraft clip-ons. I had to invert my throttle so that the twin cables come out the top instead of below - like on some motocross bikes. This is because the steering lock was too compromised with them coming out below.

I think I'm still leaning towards the woodcraft. I thought about going with some cheese clubmans but I don't really like the look. Ill probably end up PMing ya when the time comes but I think I'm gonna replace the rear cam tensioner and chain drive first.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom