Tube from back of gas tank...

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Tube from back of gas tank...

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 pm

There's a tube from the back of my gas tank I think is leaking some oil. Anyone know what this line is for?

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Tube from back of gas tank...

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Got a pic or can you find it on a parts fische?

The only tube should be a drain tube and runs down the left side of the bike and ends near the clutch slave

You can see it and the front drain tube in this pic:

08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Aphex wrote:Got a pic or can you find it on a parts fische?

The only tube should be a drain tube and runs down the left side of the bike and ends near the clutch slave

You can see it and the front drain tube in this pic:

Under my gas tank There's one at the front of the tank towards the top and one at the bottom hooked up near the fuel sensor. In your pic it looks like of those 2 hoses clamped together near the slave clutch, the line on the right.

I should rephrase. I replaced the oil shaft seal, alternator gasket clean and replaced the clamps on the crank shaft breather tube, both sides. I still have fresh oil on the alternator side of the engine. I think its coming from one of the tube unless there's other common leaks you know of?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 pm

I would clean the engine ( I use WD40 and rinse it off) then hit it with your white powder of choice to find the leaks quickly.

Does it look like the oil has dripped to where it is now or seeped out?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:06 pm

I cleaned up the side some more and will keep an eye on it. Ill go with your method when I can get home for some testing. When I fill the oil to the max line how should the bike be placed? Kick stand, balanced on wheels, or rear stand? Also not realizing, I put 10/40 oil in instead I'd 10/50. Would that increase oil consumption?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Droldaerd wrote:I cleaned up the side some more and will keep an eye on it. Ill go with your method when I can get home for some testing. When I fill the oil to the max line how should the bike be placed? Kick stand, balanced on wheels, or rear stand? Also not realizing, I put 10/40 oil in instead I'd 10/50. Would that increase oil consumption?

You or the bike wont notice a difference runn 10w40 instead of 10w50.

Warm the bike up to 4 bars then let it sit for a few minutes, check the oil on the side stand.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/90457/Ktm-990-Super-Duke-990-Super-Duke-R.html?page=67#manual

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Aphex wrote:Warm the bike up to 4 bars then let it sit for a few minutes, check the oil on the side stand.

Manual says on a balanced surface, not on side stand? Or is that just for warming up.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 am

My bad you should balance it so it's upright.

Me so Hoony.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom