swollen tank still won't fit!

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
jmann

Re: swollen tank still won't fit!

Postby jmann » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 am

Comrade: I appreciate the fact that these last two photo's fit on the screen but WTF are we looking at?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 am

jmann wrote:Comrade: I appreciate the fact that these last two photo's fit on the screen but WTF are we looking at?

jmann, sorry. That's a bore scope image of the front, inside of a 990 SD fuel tank near the front mount (see image, arrows show approximate outside location. There seems to be a concern if the steering head cover and triple clamp wears too much into the front of the tank that it will leak fuel. Personal opinion is that the front area of the tank's mounting hole is solid and that it could also be modified a little more for even more clearance and not leak fuel. I'm sure KTM is no longer replacing swollen fuel tanks, even to the original owners, so I was just trying to help by investigating if the front of the tank could be ground or cut to get a little more clearance. Again sorry.

SD#1

orangeracer
Minimoto racer

Postby orangeracer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Motohooligan has extended mounts that work like a champ and look clean too. 8)

dipper
Minimoto racer

Postby dipper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:
dipper wrote:Sorted. Used the ratchet method. Took way more force than I was comfortable with but no damage done. May try another method next time... which may be very soon as now the tanks on it appears my new(to me) WP steering damper/mounting hardware fouls the tank at full lock/ :evil: it's so far out I'll need to adjust the left lock stop by 15mm which means I'm guaranteed to fall off in a car park! Looks like it was only designed to fit with the earlier tank. looks like the whole top yoke saga(discussed in a previous thread) was a waste of time! :roll:

Any chance you can remove the damper cylinder body clamp angled/offset arm and drill a hole through the top of the clamping split large enough to get an 8mm allen head bolt to go straight down to the tank mount? That's how I mounted my 990 SD's steering damper. No offset on my damper body clamp mount and no lock to lock interference.

SD#1

I've not the depth in the clamp to create a shoulder for an 8mm Allen bolt but sound like a good idea!

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Can you reverse the body clamp arm (fuel tank mount) to the right and put the shaft heim mount on the left top of the triple clamp? Don't know if that will give you the clearance you need but visualizing it, it does appear to move the body clamp away from the handlebar clamps. Just throwing out ideas.

dipper
Minimoto racer

Postby dipper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:Can you reverse the body clamp arm (fuel tank mount) to the right and put the shaft heim mount on the left top of the triple clamp? Don't know if that will give you the clearance you need but visualizing it, it does appear to move the body clamp away from the handlebar clamps. Just throwing out ideas.

I've got the official Ktm damper and hardware that mounts the the rh side of the top yoke so can't swap sides. I'm tempted to flog it and buy an Lsl set up instead

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am

FWIW I modified a 990 SD-R Powerparts WP damper that is supposed to mount under the right side bottom triple clamp, with the black straight damper body clamp (part we're talking about) under the frame. Don't know if the Pwrparts post clamp is available by itself?

Gaztwobikes
Minimoto racer

Postby Gaztwobikes » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Took my tank off and was a bugger to get back on ,it was that swollen that it was touching the headstock ,had to loosen the rear bolts as much as poss then forcefully put the bolt in and force it down so it went backwards a few mm , chopping a bit off the front could be the way to go , paintwork is all scuffed anyhow. ,

Sabre
Trackday hero

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 pm

dipper wrote:Sorted. Used the ratchet method. Took way more force than I was comfortable with but no damage done. May try another method next time... which may be very soon as now the tanks on it appears my new(to me) WP steering damper/mounting hardware fouls the tank at full lock/ :evil: it's so far out I'll need to adjust the left lock stop by 15mm which means I'm guaranteed to fall off in a car park! Looks like it was only designed to fit with the earlier tank. looks like the whole top yoke saga(discussed in a previous thread) was a waste of time! :roll:

Glad the ratchet method worked for you too 8) I had no damage whatsoever using this method and didn't fancy chopping bits up/off using other methods. I've owned my SDR from new 2007 and never had a problem with the tank until last year when i filled it with normal unleaded petrol ( previously i'd only ever tanked up with super unleaded) and left the tank off overnight while working on the bike. To say i was pissed off that the tank had swelled up is an understatement and i put it down to the different grade of petrol used (rightly or wrongly ?) Not had the tank off since as i've added another new bike to my collection so the SDR's not being used at the min,but will post up if the tank has altered back to normal using super unleaded which i doubt but you never know :twisted:
If it's orange it's worth a spin !

SD R 990
XR 400

Previous

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom